Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, just a question about the fuel caps on 4200s. As best I can tell there are 2 types of caps used, the plastic click type with coarse treads, and the Ferrari type solid aluminum with fine machine threads. Does anyone know why 2 types? Is it a year or model difference? Mine 03 spyder solid alum. Thanks, Ed

·
Super Moderator
4,349 Posts
Never saw or heard of one with an aluminium cap. Maybe aftermarket?

C

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Catman, all I was hearing was crickets. This started at a car show a few months ago, the Italian section was a F328gts and me. We got to comparing cars and noticed that our gas caps were interchangeable. I didn't think anything of it at the time, but I have been looking for a replacement gasket, or cap and all I could find were the modern plastic click type. I don't think any thing has been modified, the filler neck would have to be changed out, the cap is that different. I'll try to post pik, but if you look up Ferrari fuel cap that is what it is. If I had $800 to spare, I would get one of those high speed titanium ones for an FF.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As you can see the alum. cap has female threads, very fine, the filler neck male threads. 20191210_090814.jpg 20191210_090848.jpg

·
Registered
484 Posts
I have the aluminum screw on type on my 02 Spyder. It's a Ferrari touch and shows how much Ferrari DNA there is in your car. After 05 when Maserati was transferred to FCA the caps probably changed. Look at the Ricambi parts diagrams and the GS (and probably onward) has a different cap.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Anyone else want to chime in, yr. coupe/spyder, cc or 6mt, and type of gas cap?

·
Registered
543 Posts
02 coupe 6mt, plastic non threaded.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys, keep it coming, maybe get enough info. to determine why 2 different style caps. Also, the alum. caps as you can see in my 2nd pik, are vented. Does that change how the evap. system works? Could spyders require a different system than coupes? Thanks again, Ed

·
Registered
543 Posts
I kind of think all Spyders had aluminum threaded and Coupes had plastic clicking.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You are probably correct Masera, I would like more data or an explanation of the evap. system before I reach a conclusion. It looks like you and I have had similar Mas. ownership experience with "Bee Turbo" and then 4200 cars. I have found the 4200 a much better car, although with time the biturbo pain is fading. When they run well they are a hoot to drive, but keeping them running is tough. The owners of modern era Maseratis don't know how good they have it. Ed.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Yup, I loved my Biturbo! It started my love for the brand when I bough it at 16. Got all the kinks worked out and ended up keeping her for 24 years. Only sold it because I fell in love with the 4200 and my wife only allows me to have one Italian Mistress at a time. I always tell me kids that one day I will graduate to a Ferrari, but I have to tell you, I am very happy with what I have and it is very close to being a very Ferrari without the headaches.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I've got the aluminium fuel cap on my 03 Spyder and the inner has parted company with the outside cap, I glued it when I first got the car but it's come apart again, not a problem when tightening cap up but can embarrassing at fuel station when undoing it and run the risk of the inner dropping on the bodywork.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts