1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As i wrote in a previous thread i have paid a deposit for a black QP GT-S
and it will be shipped next week. Iam really excited to get my hands
on my first Maserati:)

As time is running out i need to ask your opinion about somenthing. The rear and side windows of my QP are slightly tinted and a friend told me that looks wise it would be great to have the front window tinted as well. The cost is minimal, you can still see who the driver is etc( i am not talking about the type of tinted glass that is completely dark). As i need to tell them whether i want the tinted layer to be placed on the front window by next monday i would greatly appreciate your views on this matter asap:))

·
Super Moderator
4,261 Posts
Tough one without some photos as a reference.

I'd say go for it, if you feel that way the car's look will be more "consistent" throughout.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They told me that worse case scenario in case i don't like it is to use a blow dryer and the layer will easily come out!! However if any Maserati owner here
had it it would be good to know if it does really make it look even better when the front glass is tinted.

·
Super Moderator
4,261 Posts
Is it a standard option on the QP?

There are quite a few owners with QPs, so hopefully they'll reply in the next day or two with some ideas/impressions :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think that the option is only available for the back and side windows so basically it is not offered as an otion for the front window.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have an '08 Sport GT-S. I actually tinted my front sides and back.
My tint is dark to the point that during the day you cannot see the driver!
Driving at night does get a bit dark. but as i do not drive the car too much during the night it is not too much of an issue.
if you want i can post a picture of it when i have time.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes splease post a pic just to get an idea, thanks. Is it your opinion that looks wise it improves the looks of the car and in this respect worth it?

·
Registered
905 Posts
Isn't part of the idea with a Maserati to BE SEEN in the vehicle?!

I am not a fan of tinting, unless you live and park in a sunny, hot geography.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I have additional tinting on the front door glass, and am very pleased with it. I bought that car that way so don't know what grade/tint it is, but it is certainly not so dark as to affect visibility into the car, which is something cops don't like in CA.

I also think that having some front tinting keeps the balance of the car right - if it's dark in the back and light in the front, it looks uneven and draws attention from the beauty of the car. With both doors tinted there not that distraction.

And for the record, I don't care about being seen in my Maserati. I bought if for me to admire and drive.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Dear Dave, exactly what my friend told me about keeping the balance of the car. He did not suggest full tinting as this is illegal, just that the front window to be tinted the same way as the rest of the windows. I guess i will go for it then and if it doesn't look good i uess i will have to use the blow dryer to remove :):). I am sure you all realize that it is because i am excited to get my first Maserati and want it to look at its best possible when it arrives that i am asking this sort of questions !! Again thanks everyone for your responses and look forward to continue sharing views and comments about our current or future maseratis.

·
Registered
340 Posts
My car had front and rear tinted windows as shown below. I think that it looked ok although it reduced the visibility a bit.

Make sure you check with your state / province though. In many areas you are not allowed to tint the front windows at all.

Attachments

·
Registered
228 Posts
I don't know where you live,

but if you live in California, I will tell you, as a retired Chief of Police, it is ILLEGAL to tint windows in a vehicle unless the windows are BEHIND the driver; ie, rear side windows and/or rear window.

·
Registered
905 Posts
And for the record, I don't care about being seen in my Maserati. I bought if for me to admire and drive.

Not sure I believe this out of anyone with an exotic....;) Yes, I bought my car for me too, but it doesn't bother me to be associated with it.

Anyway... I knew a guy that had a letter from his opthamologist saying he required front tinting due to an eye condition. Short of a legit excuse like this, I think it is illegal in many/most states.

·
Registered
695 Posts

Not sure I believe this out of anyone with an exotic....;) Yes, I bought my car for me too, but it doesn't bother me to be associated with it.
Trygve11,

MNA President and CEO Marti Eulberg backs you up...paraphrasing:
"[Maserati] not only creates a sense of occasion for the driver...but for the passengers and for the onlookers."

:)

·
Registered
183 Posts
My car has the standard Maserati glass pack. It seems quite reflective in sunlight which makes it more difficult for people to see in.

·
Registered
46 Posts
i tinted my window because in the summer it gets very hot 36+. with the car packed outside when i get in it is like a sauna. So that is why i did it. but one must consider the legality of tinting driver side and front screens. Here in taiwan it is not that much of an issue.
now my car just looks very black. I will get a picture taken and post it.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
ram77, I think NIKOS is talking about the driver/passenger windows, not the windshield.

I thought about tinting my "front" windows too because it does look great, but two things made me change my mind.

First, in a recent trip to Brazil I drove a few cars with tinted windows (everybody does it for safety reasons) and found it hard to see at night or inside garages and etc.

Second, I wouldn't be seen in the car... c'mon guys, I'm single and will happilly take any help I can get from the car! :D

But I'm thinking about tinting the reflectors on the side of the bumpers and rear lenses. Has anybody done that here? Pics?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts