Maserati Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That will be the thumping on the front left then!

I've just ordered the parts, is there a good step by step for doing the re-build?

cheers

jim

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Gas Engineering

5,830 Posts
No, you are not rebuilding the shock just that upper shock mount...Don't undo that nut on top without a spring compressor...You'll be sorry if you do...J

Reactions: Catmanv2

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers Jason, All looks quite traditional, and yes I have quality compressors, in the step by step I've found in the manual, it says to release the upper wishbone pivot bolts and pull out the wishbone, is this step really necessary to clear the strut?

cheers

Jim

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you, all back together now, will do the other side next week as I can now feel the difference between new and old

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yes all sorted on the left hand side, but I can 'feel' movement now on the right hand side, and I can see the tell tail orange dust at the top mount (now I know what I'm looking for)

·
Registered
38 Posts
yes all sorted on the left hand side, but I can 'feel' movement now on the right hand side, and I can see the tell tail orange dust at the top mount (now I know what I'm looking for)
Thanks for confirming that. I see on the photo that you posted above, that the failed piece appears to be brown/beige in color and probably high density foam rubber. I notice on the Scuderia website that what they are selling appears to be black, but I can't guess at material. Do you know if this item was updated? What color was the new one you installed?

Neil M.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yes you are correct they are a different material and a different shape, so you need to get the top plate, rubber block and the top cover (and the top bolt), so that it will fit together properly. I also got the rest of the hardware, rubber bump stop and top and bottom rubber donuts etc.

·
Registered
38 Posts
yes you are correct they are a different material and a different shape, so you need to get the top plate, rubber block and the top cover (and the top bolt), so that it will fit together properly. I also got the rest of the hardware, rubber bump stop and top and bottom rubber donuts etc.
Thank you very much for the clarification. I’ll make sure to get all the latest pieces.
Neil M

·
Premium Member
1,738 Posts
Hey guys, faced with the same problem here on my 2005, I was hoping to get my local shop to handle it as they are pretty good with exotics. I was wondering though if at this stage I should also be replacing other suspension bushings besides just the front shocks. If someone could link to the appropriate parts diagram and list on Scuderia I would appreciate that very much, I always seem to have trouble navigating their pages and finding what I need.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hey guys, faced with the same problem here on my 2005, I was hoping to get my local shop to handle it as they are pretty good with exotics. I was wondering though if at this stage I should also be replacing other suspension bushings besides just the front shocks. If someone could link to the appropriate parts diagram and list on Scuderia I would appreciate that very much, I always seem to have trouble navigating their pages and finding what I need.
Here is a link to the front shocks diagram:

Here is a link to the front suspension diagram:

·
Premium Member
1,738 Posts
Here is a link to the front shocks diagram:

Here is a link to the front suspension diagram:
Thanks much!

In the suspension diagram there is a "front suspension bushing kit", for $425, is this for one side or both?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Thanks much!

In the suspension diagram there is a "front suspension bushing kit", for $425, is this for one side or both?
That's for one side and would replace the inboard bushings on both the upper and lower control arms on one side. You can also buy similar from a well known auction site, but they are not usually branded and may or may not be identical.
Here's link to something similar:

·
Premium Member
1,738 Posts
That's for one side and would replace the inboard bushings on both the upper and lower control arms on one side. You can also buy similar from a well known auction site, but they are not usually branded and may or may not be identical.
Here's link to something similar:
Well the price is certainly right, wow! I hope these fit....

·
Premium Member
1,738 Posts
So, if I ordered the hardware for the upper shock mount and these two bushing kits, am I good to go? No other parts will need to be changed? What about the tiny lower shock mount bushings?

·
Registered
38 Posts
So, if I ordered the hardware for the upper shock mount and these two bushing kits, am I good to go? No other parts will need to be changed? What about the tiny lower shock mount bushings?
I have no way of knowing if your lower shock bushes might need to be changed, but if they do, you might look at these:

·
Premium Member
1,738 Posts
Well thanks very much for the help and tips, but it might be that the shop wants to get the parts for themselves in the end, due to liability issues. We'll see how that goes, I may get two different estimates first.

·
Premium Member
1,738 Posts
OK I talked to my local shop, they are stacked up and want to see the car first before deciding what parts to order.... end result is I am going back to my usual shop in San Jose, they have the bushing kits in stock and quoted $1,000 per side parts and labor, pretty much cannot beat that I don't think.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts