Maserati Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In looking at photos of Maserati, i noticed that most of the cars did not have the front liscence plate mounted.
Are all of these cars registered in the few states that do not require a front tag? :D
Or was the front mount not included with the car, and on back order with Italy? ;)

·
Registered
909 Posts
My customers go about 50/50 with having the plate put on. Most never get bothered for it, but some neighborhoods are worse than others. Minneapolis police like to give out tickets for it when they are bored. Some guys just pay the fines until they get a fixit ticket, some guys just don't want to deal with it.

I ran with no plate on my car for over a year before I finally got pulled for it.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I had no plate for about 18 months and then I got pulled over twice. By my house there is a checkpoint that they always pull over sticker and plate violaters so I put a plate on.

FYI, in VA its a non-moving violation-- no points, but is probable cause.

-dsd

·
Registered
246 Posts
I haven't had a front license plate for years, on three successive cars. Luckily, no fixit tickets, since in Calif it is required. A new development is that in a city where I play golf (Menlo Park, for those paying attention) there is a policeman who routinely pulls over cars without a front license plate, and then the first question is "have you been drinking". He is evidently getting a few DUI's this way, along with a lot of fixit citations!
Mike

·
Registered
20 Posts
I live in Massachusetts. I have never run a front plate. In mass they have old green plates of which they only ever issued one per car. If you are lucky enough to still have one of those 20 year old plates you only have to run one. However if you registered your car less than 20 years ago you go issued red plates of which you are required to have 2. So I tape the front one on to get my inspection sticker and take it off right after. I have never been pulled over for it for 20 years and 15 cars.:D

·
Registered
160 Posts
In SF, it's a cheap way for the meter maids to make their quota. It's a $10 correctable ticket if you get caught, just minor annoyance. Sometimes the police officer will sign it off without even inspecting the car :rolleyes: . I always carry some tape in the car, so I can get it fixed quickly.

·
Registered
201 Posts
The dealer in Houston said to at least keep the front plate inside the car. The TX polizei are often satisfied if you prove the plate is not being used on another car. Good luck.

·
Registered
333 Posts
In El Salvador a front license plate is required and police most of the time are a pain in the neck.

I've had my car for over 18 months and have been pulled over a few times but police are more interested in looking at the car than anything else... I've even been asked to open the hood so they can admire the engine a couple of ocassions and have been ticketed for the missing front plate only once, $11.43 ...no big deal, I rather pay the small fine (even if it is once a month) than putting a front plate ruining the look of my baby.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Up until recently they've been pretty lenient in CA about front plate enforcement. It's usually an add on if you give a cop an "attitude" while he's writing you up, or needs probable cause to stop you.

Unfortunately in the bay area, the leeches have decided that photo red light enforcement will become their main plank in their efforts to "protect the children" (and line thier coffers w/o having to be seen raising taxes) and for the system to work at its most efficient requires all vehicles to display front and rear plates for maximum photo exposure, so there's a lot of pressure to obtain cheerful compliance.

o, there aint no plates on me, boys
there ain't no plates on me!

and I blow thru gates, drive high rates

and there ain't no plates on me!

·
Registered
128 Posts
NO PLATES. Period.

never a front nor a rear plate.... even after a year or two...
call it paranoia???
there are some sites where you can pay 10$ to register and get anyone's address and name with a simple lic. plate number ....

one of my pals is a sherriff (helps with fix-it tix) and in CA join the chp 11-99 it helps and it supports a great group.

drive safe
kn

·
Registered
530 Posts
11-99 Foundation, for sure. If you can afford a Maserati, BMW, Ferrari, Lambo, Porsche or other exotic, there's no excuse for not joining.

CHP has lost 6 officers over the last few months, and this foundation provides support to the families and scholarships for their kids.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Mike, you might confirm, but I hear front plate install isn't DIY, as it requires drilling front bumper, and of course there is wiring, air bag sensors and whatnot behind the bumper.

I believe there is a template or diagram required to do it accurately.

My main issue is that the bumper then can't cheaply be put back to stock if you sell the car to a state with no front plates. Why there isn't an integrated holder or mounting point, I don't know.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I've been looking to join the 11-99 but you need a referral. Anyone want to pass along an application if they have a spare?

I haven't had a front plate since I got it. The car came from out of state and didn't have a front plate on. I haven't been harassed for it yet, but I had quite a few on my M5. FYI if a meter maid gets you, it's a $35 ticket, just send it in. If you get pulled (as I did twice), you have to put it on and go to the station to get it signed off. Major PITA. I don't have a bracket for it anyways.

·
Registered
160 Posts
squid said:
If you get pulled (as I did twice), you have to put it on and go to the station to get it signed off. Major PITA. I don't have a bracket for it anyways.
Like I've said, keep some masking tape and plate in the car, if you do get pulled, put the plate on immediately, and get the same officer to sign off. :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts