Maserati Forum banner
61 - 70 of 70 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
WA state

Does require front plates, but as Glenn said earlier, its not enforced much.

But.. I had an interesting incident recently. Coming down a hill, my laser shifter alarmed. I didn’t disable it fast enough before the officer took another reading which was also defeated. The officer pulled me over. He asked if I had a device that disables his laser. I found a way to not answer that question. Then he ticketed me for not having the front license place ($120 in WA).

The plate gave him something to do. I do wonder if I had the front plate, whether he would have worked harder to find something else.

· Registered
12 Posts
Ding ding ding...we have a winner!!

Ive had my GT-S out twice this year, Tuesday and today. I was out at lunch today in d.town chicago, and a copper busts a u-turn and pulls me over, for NO FRONT PLATE!! thats it, no speeding, and didnt ticket me or my passenger for no seat belts...but wait, its gets better! When they brought me back my ticket, I mentioned how 5 cars had passed while i was sitting, with no front plate. The officer says he can only pull one car over at a time, as hes walking back to his car, i pointed at a passing car with no front plate, so he busts another u-turn and pulls him over. I guess I kinda feel bad about that part, I didnt expect him to really do it...but none the less.

So whos paying up on the challenge???? :D
I think city of Chicago is having hard time with finance...
Last week I got pull over too...haha
That was my 6th ticket for NO FRONT PLATE...
Now they said I have to go to court with a picture of attached front plate..:mad:

I have a question...I do not know where to put front plate on my GT...
do you know where to put it?
I've seen european "thin" plate that goes under the grill...but i don't think the US plate is going to fit in that european one...

And I found this....
http://www.licenseplates.tv/prod/illinois_euro_plate_7056.html
Is it gonna work?

· Registered
177 Posts
I also don't have a front license plate on my 02 Spyder. For 2 reasons. First, I don't want to have clunky front license plate on my vehicle as it is ugly. Plus, I don't want to block my K40 radar jammer that's located right where the license plate would be. That said, I am starting to second guess my decision. A few weeks ago, I was pulled over in Houston when leaving a bar. And the officer stated that he pulled me over becuase I didn't have a front license plate. He then proceeded to give me a sobriety test. Luckily, I was fine and passed but definitely scary. If they want to pull you over, they will find something! Since that time, when I go out to bars, I place my front license plate visibly on my front dash.......

· Registered
51 Posts
I live in Central Illinois, and my wife has been driving an 08 Supercharged Range Rover Westminster (black) for 14 months (15K miles) without ever being stopped for not having a front license plate. She does not carry the front one in the car.

I picked up my GT-S in December and only have about 900 miles on it due to poor weather, and I don't want road salt and sand on my "baby." I'm not carrying the front license plate in the trunk either.

I wonder though in Illinois, the temporary license plate from the dealer is only for the rear. If a front license plate is so important, how come there is not one for the front? It is only made of cardboard, so cost can't be an issue.

If I'm stopped, I'll say that since the temporary plate was only for the rear, and there is no apparent place to put on the front plate, I thought that only the rear was needed.

· Registered
148 Posts
Here in Oregon, they require them too - I have yet to be pulled over (for that), and the two times I have been pulled over, they have not mentioned it.

My dealer said to just tell them it is on order from Italy :)

· Registered
151 Posts
In Massachusetts we have white plates with green and white plates with red lettering. The green letter plates have been retired, but if you have one you can transfer it from car to car. The green letter plates only require one plate on the car. The newly issued red letter plates require two plates. I do not know if any other states have this arrangement, but checvk with your state to see if an older issue plate if available for transfer from someone lese might qualify as a one plate requirement.

I have a green letter plate originally issued to my 1985 BMW 525i that I now use on the Maser. Thankfully, I have the proper display with one plate. The police would like these plates retired, but they cannot make anyone cancel the plates if in use.

Jim

2004 Coupe

· Registered
119 Posts
Ok guys, I have a idea... Why not remove the bumper or if possible reach behind and bond 2 pieces of metal to the inside of the bumper in the middle where the factory plate would get screwed in. Then take a plate mount and bond neodymium magnets to the back of it. Take some felt and glue it to the magnet so when attaching it to the car it will not scratch.... Screw the plate to the plate mount using machine screws and nuts or factory screws that come with the plate and place it on the car. It will hold unbelievable. We use magnets all the time here at work to mount many different things. Neodymium magnets are rare earth magnets that are very very strong.

It seems a bit easier than it is but at the end you can make it look as if there is actually a license plate frame with a license plate screwed to the car and it will hold 100%. You can leave it on or keep it in the car and put it on for inspection reasons...

· Registered
147 Posts
Does require front plates, but as Glenn said earlier, its not enforced much.

But.. I had an interesting incident recently. Coming down a hill, my laser shifter alarmed. I didn’t disable it fast enough before the officer took another reading which was also defeated. The officer pulled me over. He asked if I had a device that disables his laser. I found a way to not answer that question. Then he ticketed me for not having the front license place ($120 in WA).

The plate gave him something to do. I do wonder if I had the front plate, whether he would have worked harder to find something else.

What kind of "laser shifter" do you use. Clearly, it worked...I'd love to buy something that actually blocks laser!

61 - 70 of 70 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.