Maserati Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
151 Posts
I live in MA and a front license plate is required if the plates are white and red. The older plates, which can be transfered from car to car are white and green. The law states that the older plates need only be in the rear of the car. I do not know if this arrangement exits in other states. MA also requires an annual inspection. Many of the inspection facilities will issue the sticker without the front plate if the plate is in the trunk. The idea is that the plate should be on the car during inspection, but the owner can take it off later on. I have been stopped by a policeman for a missing front plate. He issued a ticket, but sometime an officer will give you a warning if you say that you will go to a garage and conform. If you dispute the ticket and go before a judge you will be let off without a fine as long as you show that you went to a garage and had the plate installed. Of course, you can take it off at a later point and go through the process again. I believe in MA the ticket is either $25 or $50, about the cost of dinner out.

2004 Cambi Coupe

· Registered
151 Posts
I'm in - anything for the cause. I didn't buy the car to goop it up. I would gladly pay the state for the option of not having the front plate. How's that for a tax payment? The state gets their money regardless of whether I am stopped and the car looks good. You can't tell me that the police think they deter speeders or catch more criminals just because the car has a front license plate? It is strictly "money" and the state wants more. They would charge for the "screws" if they could.

2004 Cambio Coupe
2006 BMW 530i - daily driver

· Registered
151 Posts
In Massachusetts we have white plates with green and white plates with red lettering. The green letter plates have been retired, but if you have one you can transfer it from car to car. The green letter plates only require one plate on the car. The newly issued red letter plates require two plates. I do not know if any other states have this arrangement, but checvk with your state to see if an older issue plate if available for transfer from someone lese might qualify as a one plate requirement.

I have a green letter plate originally issued to my 1985 BMW 525i that I now use on the Maser. Thankfully, I have the proper display with one plate. The police would like these plates retired, but they cannot make anyone cancel the plates if in use.

Jim

2004 Coupe

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.