Maserati Forum banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks. I'm a newby here, having just bought a gorgeous black coupe which should arrive next Tuesday. My question is this; New Jersey requires a front license plate (I know, I know -- horrible) :mad: but the car currently doesn't have one. As much as I hate to do so, I'll have to mount one or keep getting tickets. Any suggestions on how to do this without drilling the front bumper? Putting it on the grill, of course, is out of the question.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Do you see other exotic cars in your area with a front license plate?

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes.

Everyone grumbles about it and there's a push on by one state legislator to abolish the front plates to save the state some money, but it's still required. I'm just curious if there are custom mounting kits or anything of that nature out there. I've already ordered my iPod adaptor and am seriously considering upgrading the DBY system and ECM. Not sure about the Tubi exhaust until I hear the car in person and drive a few miles in it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Any suggestions on how to do this without drilling the front bumper? Putting it on the grill, of course, is out of the question.
If you know of a good metal or modification shop in your area I would try to have a bracket custom fabricated which wouldn't require any visible drilling.

Minnesota requires front plates as well and while I've managed to get by without a ticket thus far, friends of mine have had good results with local fabricators.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I have a QP but had the same problem.

I ended up using some ceiling anchors to mount the plate through the grill. The anchors prevent the bolts from falling out and you don't have to drill your bumper.

The plate will ride pretty low to the ground but I have never had an issue with the police and it has the added benefit of hitting the curb before your paint job does!

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Here in CA it's also required. I've a got a ticket in my Suburban but not in the GS, it seems like the cops take easier on exotics around here.

The DBW is definitely a MUST have. Regarding the Tubi, if you have a Coupe and keep the center resonator the sound won't be too loud. Without the resonator is pretty loud, maybe too much.

·
Registered
250 Posts
The Aston Martin dealer's answer to the front plate holder is that it is on "back order." On the AM, I carry the plate "that fell off" in trunk on a generic holder in case I get questioned. A very common tactic with the Aston Martin owners club members. In fact the dealership was slightly displeased that I was contemplating putting a front plate on the car. But after they told me the plate holder was $220, I decided to go with their suggestion.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks to all!

What a great group of aficionados! I like the "Oops, gee officer, it fell off and the mounting hardware is on back-order" solution best. :D

Gotta keep those gorgeous lines clean.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Search the web, I've seen someone selling a license plate holder that screws into the front tow hook.
I am the one who make those. They are primarily for Ferrari's but we can adapt to Maserati because chances are the thread and pitch are the same.

They are $35.00 complete. They work.

Most folks keep in the trunk and if stopped tell police car was just detailed and was forgotten to be be reinstalled.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I live in MA and a front license plate is required if the plates are white and red. The older plates, which can be transfered from car to car are white and green. The law states that the older plates need only be in the rear of the car. I do not know if this arrangement exits in other states. MA also requires an annual inspection. Many of the inspection facilities will issue the sticker without the front plate if the plate is in the trunk. The idea is that the plate should be on the car during inspection, but the owner can take it off later on. I have been stopped by a policeman for a missing front plate. He issued a ticket, but sometime an officer will give you a warning if you say that you will go to a garage and conform. If you dispute the ticket and go before a judge you will be let off without a fine as long as you show that you went to a garage and had the plate installed. Of course, you can take it off at a later point and go through the process again. I believe in MA the ticket is either $25 or $50, about the cost of dinner out.

2004 Cambi Coupe

·
Registered
340 Posts
What a great group of aficionados! I like the "Oops, gee officer, it fell off and the mounting hardware is on back-order" solution best. :D

Gotta keep those gorgeous lines clean.

Until the officer walks you to the front of the vehicle and asks you to point out where it was mounted ;)

·
Registered
229 Posts
Maryland requires a front plate too and after I got my first $60 ticket I put the tag in the trunk and when I get stopped I give the "it just fell off" story. It's worked well so far but I do get stopped a lot.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
IMO you should buy the mount from GCalo but keep it in the trunk and wait until you're stopped for the first time. It may take years to happen, who knows? The front plate ruins the car looks.

And if you're stopped, the detailing excuse woud most likely work as long as you show the mount/plate in the trunk.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think you're right.

Plausable deniability is, I believe, the phrase.:cool:

·
Registered
338 Posts
Wow...

What a way to ruin the looks of the car.

Maybe the laws there is like the seatbelt law in SC?

Like they can ticket you, but only if you are already speeding or something?

It seems like harrassment if they pull you over just because you don't have front tags.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Wonder if it has more to do with the fact that having the plates on the front makes it easier to catch speeders - flat surface to bounce radar off?

·
Registered
229 Posts
Not having a front license plate is probably cause to pull you over (at least in MD) - no other offense needed like speeding, etc. It's not like the seatbelt laws where that can't be the primary reason for a stop.

Wow...

What a way to ruin the looks of the car.

Maybe the laws there is like the seatbelt law in SC?

Like they can ticket you, but only if you are already speeding or something?

It seems like harrassment if they pull you over just because you don't have front tags.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts