Maserati Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my new to me 2014 Gran Turismo Sport for just one week. I have a temp plate on back but eventually will need a front plate in NJ. I would appreciate hearing if anyone has a solution or a suggestion that doesn't violate the beautiful nose. The dealer tells me there is a tow hook bracket but I have not been able to find it. The other choice is a bracket that requires drilling holes in front bumper. Obviously the latter is not a good alternative.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Retractable? Still involves drilling but at least its on the underside.

Thats a stunning GC by the way. Simply stunning.
Retractable? Still involves drilling but at least its on the underside.

Thats a stunning GC by the way. Simply stunning.
Thanks Navcorr. The car truly is. The top color matches the Bordeaux paint. I would consider drilling on the underside. What kind of bracket are you referring to?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Thanks Navcorr. The car truly is. The top color matches the Bordeaux paint. I would consider drilling on the underside. What kind of bracket are you referring to?
Something along the lines of:

I know you'll be busy driving and smiling from ear to ear but would love to see some more photos when you get a chance.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I am a fellow New Jersey resident and I choose not to run front plate at all. I am currently running 3 cars (between the wife and I); all with no front plate.
The ticket is $100-200 dollars depending on where you are stopped, and it is only a “fix it” ticket.
I was going to get a flip up plate, but I couldn’t stomach trying to lie to anyone. “Yes officer, I have front plate. Look it is flipped up and visible now... you say you know it was not visible when I passed you? It must have been hung up; but look it is showing now.”

Instead, I just man up and pay a $100 ticket every 10 years or so.

·
Premium Member
2013 GTS Coupe
3,754 Posts
$ 100-$ 200 ?! :oops: Wow, just when I thought California has hefty fines .. it‘s only a $ 25 penalty in this state and a trip to any local police station with a plate you can attach to a frame which screws into the tow hook port, and that’s good enough for a sign-off validation that you corrected the problem. You can remove it the moment you leave their parking lot. ( they all know what you‘re doing but no one seems to care that much ..)

And yeah, the same here ; if you get stopped JUST for that violation, it’s a very rare case . Maybe once in ten years also . But if you get pulled over for speeding , or another moving violation, or, you get a parking ticket, they‘ll add on whatever else they find out of order with your car .

Heck, 90 % of sports and exotic cars around here do not have front plates .. You’re much more likely to get stopped for no front plates, or tinted windows, or other petty stuff like that, if you drive a Honda or Mustang or Dodge or Subaru WRX, and so on, but a Porsche or Ferrari or McLaren or Maserati, etc. .. least likely . Haven’t seen a single Tesla with a front plate, and they’re as common as locusts here . Maybe in other states it’s a different story, so just conveying the experience here ..

Of course there is always that day when some officer gets out of bed on the wrong side and if you just happen to catch his ( or her ) attention, it doesn’t much matter what car you drive ..:cautious:

·
Premium Member
2013 GT/MC SportLine Blu Sofisticato - Black w/Yellow stitching and calipers
165 Posts
$ 100-$ 200 ?! :oops: Wow, just when I thought California has hefty fines .. it‘s only a $ 25 penalty in this state and a trip to any local police station with a plate you can attach to a frame which screws into the tow hook port, and that’s good enough for a sign-off validation that you corrected the problem. You can remove it the moment you leave their parking lot. ( they all know what you‘re doing but no one seems to care that much ..)

And yeah, the same here ; if you get stopped JUST for that violation, it’s a very rare case . Maybe once in ten years also . But if you get pulled over for speeding , or another moving violation, or, you get a parking ticket, they‘ll add on whatever else they find out of order with your car .

Heck, 90 % of sports and exotic cars around here do not have front plates .. You’re much more likely to get stopped for no front plates, or tinted windows, or other petty stuff like that, if you drive a Honda or Mustang or Dodge or Subaru WRX, and so on, but a Porsche or Ferrari or McLaren or Maserati, etc. .. least likely . Haven’t seen a single Tesla with a front plate, and they’re as common as locusts here . Maybe in other states it’s a different story, so just conveying the experience here ..

Of course there is always that day when some officer gets out of bed on the wrong side and if you just happen to catch his ( or her ) attention, it doesn’t much matter what car you drive ..:cautious:
+ what Dan said...
Got pulled over driving the Wife's Mercedes S Coupe in the carpool lane. I jumped out when I saw another car do it ahead of me...traffic was backing up so I thought the problem was in our lane. Did a quick check in the rear view, but not long enough (thought I was safe cuz the Honda well in front of me made it) and low and behold, red and blue lights flashing away behind me....
Pulled off the exit, and he said, "You know I pulled you over because you illegally exited the car pool lane" (or something like that) I said to him, oh, you saw that huh? He chuckled, and asked where are you going in such a hurry? My Wife said a BD party up ahead a few miles. I give him my info, a few long minutes later he comes back saying "well, I'm sure all the cars behind us got a good laugh at me pulling you over, but I'm felling generous today. I'm only going to site you for tinted side windows. It's just a $25 fixit ticket bla bla bla..." I promptly thanked him and did a quick u-turn and got back on the freeway lol. Saved a lot...those car pool tickets are $451 min. Although re-tinting runs about $250 those 2 windows. But no points on my license, so I'm still thankful :cool: Yeah...pretty lax with missing front plates...I fully thought he would also write me up for that too lol nope! Gota love CHP here!

·
Premium Member
2009 GranTurismo S
189 Posts
There are a couple places that make brackets that mount to the tow ring mount or clamp on the grill....

A front plate is required here in WA too but I've been tempting fate by leaving mine behind the front seat. :)

·
Registered
2008 Maserati Granturismo 4.2
95 Posts
There are a couple places that make brackets that mount to the tow ring mount or clamp on the grill....

A front plate is required here in WA too but I've been tempting fate by leaving mine behind the front seat. :)
This is the best option IMO

·
Registered
64 Posts

Yep, plates are usually a $100 ticket, but no points. Sure it’s expensive, but I use the money I save on gasoline (vs California gas) for our highway fines. Lol
Last time I was stopped, I was speeding but slowed down with the assistance of Valentine 1. The nose dive and hard braking got the policeman’s attention, but the missing front plate was what he could get me for. Seems fair to me, I know I am doing wrong.

·
Registered
2016 GranTurismo Sport Rosso Mondiale
1,147 Posts
Risk it. In Maine been pulled over 4 times for no plate....go off all 4 times...told them "imported EU car with no plate option and State has an allowance for exotic imports" (Kinda true by like 15% as wording is for antiques.....HAHAHAHAA) - I get over each time....Dummy Up!!!

·
Premium Member
2013 GTS Coupe
3,754 Posts
Risk it. In Maine been pulled over 4 times for no plate....go off all 4 times...told them "imported EU car with no plate option and State has an allowance for exotic imports" (Kinda true by like 15% as wording is for antiques.....HAHAHAHAA) - I get over each time....Dummy Up!!!
Good point . Everyone should research their state’s regulations on that , I’d bet most states have exemptions similar to Maine’s . I know California does for certain collector vehicles which were made without a front plate mounting spot option. Of course the trick is to see just how well you can successfully argue that your Maserati fits the state’s allowance criteria ..

p.s. there are no points charged to your DL for any “ fix it “ tickets in Ca either .

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am in NJ as well, been driving my GT-MC without the front plate, I've seen cops looking and noticing the missing plate, never stopped me though.
I think they have more respect for this kind of car vs. if you drove a souped-up Honda with loud pipes.

It's worth you taking a chance

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I am in NJ as well, been driving my GT-MC without the front plate, I've seen cops looking and noticing the missing plate, never stopped me though.
I think they have more respect for this kind of car vs. if you drove a souped-up Honda with loud pipes.

It's worth you taking a chance
I am going to do the same thing. I'm also an old guy. Another thing going for me.:)

·
Registered
2013 Granturismo
3 Posts
I just had my gt inspected a DMV.
I was told the car is to nice to put a plate on it.
I also have a friend who is a NJ State Trooper. And he said that as long as you are respectful, it shouldn't be an issue. Just keep the plate in the car.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts