Maserati Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You folks have been so helpful, I just have to exploit you again. I've read about protective film for the noses of sporty cars. I have an 05 CC. 3M makes one of these films; another is called Venture Shield. Unlike "bras," these are not goofy car outerwear, but almost invisible plastics that cling to the nose, bumper, hood, etc. for years and can take a hit from a pebble traveling at 120 mph. So my natural questions: a good thing? Anyone ever done it? Problems? My price check says professional installation will cost between $600-800 here in Beverly Hills, CA. Any feedback would of course be appreciated. Ciao!:D

·
Registered
530 Posts
Mine had it applied by the PO, I think it's 3M. It looks as if it was applied after several dings already existed as it covers one on the driver's side mirror and one on the nose.

My application covers the nose, hood, outside mirrors and the leading edge of the rear wheel flares.

For all intents and purposes, it's invisible from more than 5 feet. My only complaint is that after 3-4 years, a line of dirt and grit has accumulated around the edges of the plastic shielding the rear flares. I'm probably going to replace those particular shields. Be prepared to do the same. Supposedly the problem can be avoided or delayed by paying particular attention to those areas when washing.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
i recently saw a bmw in silver that has a yellowed film over its silver paint. yuck. i have no idea what film that was applied.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks

for the replies so far. Really appreciate it, and I'll probably go for it. I seriously doubt the film will yellow; it's warranted against that by the manufacturer, and warrantied by the installer.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
rshs said:
for the replies so far. Really appreciate it, and I'll probably go for it. I seriously doubt the film will yellow; it's warranted against that by the manufacturer, and warrantied by the installer.

Thanks again.
post the pic when it is done!

·
Registered
203 Posts
I too considered the 3M product, but ultimately talked myself out of it, essentially for aesthetic reasons. My coupe is Nero Carbonio. With the film in place, you can see the lines much more on the darker colors. In retrospect, though, I regret my decision, as my nose and rear wheel flares have taken alot of abuse just from high speed running. It appears, at least on my car, that the paint is quite thin, so it doesn't take much for the underlying primer to be exposed. I say do it. It's certainly cheaper than repainting the nose and various aspects of the car. Good Luck!

·
Registered
63 Posts
I had it done on my ride and its pretty invincible and many would not notice unless it has been pointed out.
I agree with steeldream that its susceptible to an unsightly accumulation of a line of dirt and grit around the edges of the films...especially more so on a black car.

Attachments

·
Registered
192 Posts
I had the clear bra installed when I bought the car (04 CC bought new in 5/04). I got the full kit done and I think it was $1200.

Well worth it. It looks great-- or should I say it doesn't look great :)

I would do it again. Since I had it down pre-delivery, I think it will hold up very well.

-dsd

·
Registered
29 Posts
I had a Stongard kit installed on my white 2002 M3 very soon after purchasing it and it held up very nicely. There is some slight 'yellowing' after over 4 years, but actually it's not too noticeable unless you look for it. I was very pleased with the protection it gave the paint (and headlights), especially in high speed touring.

I fully intend to order a kit for my new white 2005 couple and have it installed. You can order directly online at http://www.stongard.com/shoponline.aspx or the other listing for X-Pel is http://www.xpel.com The X-Pel kit seems to be the most complete and the cost of the complete kit (including fog and headlights) online is $675. This is retail! I called one of the local installers listed on the X-Pel website and he will install the complete kit for $600. Given the degree of diffuculty of installation (and the lesser cost for you probably), I would recommend having a professionial install the kit. Unless you are 'very good' I would not advise self-installation! This stuff is tough to put on. A very meticulous (and festidious) friend of mine spent hours putting it on his M-Couple and still screwed it up, needing a professionial to get all the air bubbles, etc. out.

I have an appointment for installation on my coupé next Monday and will report back after the job. I want it done before my first high speed tour in a few weeks....
Leo
:cool:

·
Registered
681 Posts
I VERY highly recommend 3m to anyone with a high-end car. Especially one as the Maserati.

·
Registered
153 Posts
It's ok to fit providing you do it carefully. The secret is to do the main cutting first and to make sure the bodywork is clean an degreased. Then get about half a litre of clean water and add four drops of washing-up liquid to it. If you spray this on the sticky side of the film with a plant spray you can then slide it about on the car and even remove and re-apply. Then squeegy the air bubbles out with a plastic or rubber edge. Leave for a few hours and it will dry out and stick to the car. Be careful not to add too much washing-up liquid to the water. This is the same process pro's use to add this film and/or stripes to cars. I added viper stripes to my wifes Mini and did a great job.
Just take your time and dont do it when the car is hot.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I have pretty bad experience with the the 3M film. I put them on my previous car. Wax always stuck to the edge of the film. My car is black so it is easy to see. After a few year, you will need to change it. Be careful when you try to take the film off. My car paint come off with the film. I had to pay for repaint the front end. My dealer said that the paint under this kind of film always gone bad. Maybe he was trying to make an excuse for damaging the paint when he took the film off my car. Anyway, good luck when you pulling it off in the future.

·
Registered
909 Posts
when you remove the film, you HAVE to use a heat gun. this prevents the paint coming off with it.

we have had mixed luck with the protective film. im not sure if its the installers, or the film, but in order to fit all of the curves, you have to have a few relief cuts, which will gather wax and crud.

also, a black car we had it put on had a lot of bubbles and stretch spots. again this could just be the installer, but they were quite obvious on the black QP.

- mark

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
11 Participants
maserati of minneapolis
Maserati Forum
We’re a forum to discuss the Maserati Coupé, Spyder, GranTurismo, Ghibli, Quattroporte and more!
Full Forum Listing