Maserati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At 32k miles I am on my 3rd set of front tires for my 2014 Gran Turismo S. I have had a couple of alignments one indy shop , one dealer to factory spec, but the inner fronts still seem to wear out at about 15k miles. I'm guessing that a tad less negative camber might solve this issue without affecting handling too much.

Has any one out there found alignment specs for the front that keep the car from eating front tires? If so could you please share them with me

Thanks,
MIchael

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
At 32k miles I am on my 3rd set of front tires for my 2014 Gran Turismo S. I have had a couple of alignments one indy shop , one dealer to factory spec, but the inner fronts still seem to wear out at about 15k miles. I'm guessing that a tad less negative camber might solve this issue without affecting handling too much.

Has any one out there found alignment specs for the front that keep the car from eating front tires? If so could you please share them with me

Thanks,
MIchael
15k on the fronts is not terrible on these cars. But try, at the very least, a neutral setting (0.0) for the front toe...a degree or two positive is also good. (y)

·
Registered
2016 GranTurismo Sport Rosso Mondiale
984 Posts
I still cannot understand why this topic is not a "Sticky" thread with answers on this website.
Sticky buttons, Alignment, Variators, ect...questions come up almost weekly.

Insane that these frequent topics are not Stick Threads WITH answers....

·
Registered
118 Posts
My car has been setup by a race shop (do suspension work for le mans cars) by hand (using a wire and measuring tape). They never looked for factory specs, just setup using their knowledge about RWD cars. Inside still wears more, but it is only about 0.5-1mm worse compared to the outside. My fronts have been on car now for 15k miles and fronts still have enough life for another 15k. Rears are about done.
With this setup the rear feels more in line with the front when changing direction/cornering.

I have attached the official setup sheet
IMG_20201122_121825.jpg

·
Registered
2013 GranTurismo C Sport
19 Posts

Thanks,
MIchael
Hi Michael:

When I picked up my GT I drove it back from Chicago to Knoxville and it felt great. It had 14k miles on the original tires. I had an alignment done when I had the rear tires replaced. When I got it back it felt odd on the freeway. It didn't feel like it did before the alignment. It felt like it didn't want to stay straight on the freeway and required constant correction. I looked at the invoice from the dealer and the alignment said set to preserve tire life. I called the dealer and they said that the GT's bald the inside of the front tires because of the factory specs. So they use different alignment settings that preserve tire life over better handling. I opted to go back to the factory settings and am much happier with the handling, though I know it will eat tires up at a faster rate. I did change from Contis to Michelin's and like the Michelin's better then the factory Contis. I regularly check the front tires for wear by full crank to check wear. So far nothing noticeable yet, but once it starts it happens quickly based on experience. I put about 10k miles a year on the car, so I'm expecting that I will be replacing the fronts once a year and am okay with that since it increases my enjoyment of the car.

Regards, Marc

·
Super Moderator
4,509 Posts
I still cannot understand why this topic is not a "Sticky" thread with answers on this website.
Sticky buttons, Alignment, Variators, ect...questions come up almost weekly.

Insane that these frequent topics are not Stick Threads WITH answers....
Done

C

·
Registered
226 Posts
The FSM States:
Tyres 245/40 R19 285/40 R19
245/35 R20 285/35 R20
Pressure 2.2 bar 2.2 bar

Rims 8.5J x 19” ET 52 10.5J x 19” ET 37.5
8.5J x 20” ET 52 10.5J x 20” ET 37.5

Camber -0°30’ +/- 0°10’ -1°30’ +/- 0°10’ 1 - 2

Front
Toe-in -2.1 +/- 0.4 mm (for R19
rims)
Rear
+4.2 +/- 0.4 mm (for R19
rims)

Front
-2.2 +/- 0.4 mm (for R20
rims)
Rear:
+4.4 +/- 0.4 mm (for R20
rims)

Caster +4°00’ +/- 0.2 5
Height 165 +/- 5 mm 152 +/- 5 mm

Axle track 1586.0 mm 1590.8 mm
Wheelbase 2942 mm
Weight 1015 kg 1085 kg
Steering angle Int. 33.0°/ext.39.0°

What is the latest spec for best handling / and minimal tire wear?

·
Super Moderator
4,509 Posts
This is a great forum.
Thank you.
We aim to please. The risk is we end up with a hundred sticky threads, and people will start their own anyway.

Obviously I can lock them and prevent drift, but always happy to do the needful

C

·
Premium Member
577 Posts
Discussion Starter • #3 2 mo ago (Edited)

Here’s the before and after. A&A Tire is a big shop, 5 Hunter Alinement racks. Maseratis are rare, so the lead guy did it and let me watch (bought him a few beers) on their new rack. The Mas was in the computer so it went well. See pics. The only change from factory was to go from -0.06deg to +0.06deg toe. That was the consensus recommendation from the last major thread on the subject. Car handles much better, no more wandering.

D970CC02-3E97-4897-B9FB-D4CBE10677CD.jpeg

1 - 10 of 10 Posts