Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love this car so much. It never ceases to amaze me how well it has held up with all the miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
226 Posts
Thanks fantastic!
Would be interesting if you could summarise apart from regular servicing, what you have had to replace over that number of miles.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Your my new HERO...!!! The biggest reason that Mazzer has held up so well...is that you obviously love and cherish that car....Nice Job!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Incredible!!!! Its beautiful AND approaching 200K....WOW!!!

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks fantastic!
Would be interesting if you could summarise apart from regular servicing, what you have had to replace over that number of miles.

The clutch service has been done twice. Once at 40k and once just now at 171k. Believe it or not, the second clutch did last 131k miles! The alternator failed at about 140k, and the valve cover gaskets were done at the same time.

I just had the shift actuator fail at the same time I did the clutch. I ended up replacing the entire f1 system while the gearbox was out as with those miles, I figured now was the right time to do it.

So up until now, it has basically only been a clutch once and the alternator. Then just now I did the clutch again and the shift actuator. Other than that, just the service as recommended by Maserati.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Car looks great and it's great to see it handling that kind of mileage. You have to tell us what you do to make the CC clutch last that long. Driving style, shift to neutral to glide to a stop or downshift to use engine braking? Shift to neutral at stoplights? Sport mode all the time? ect ect. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
New milestone today!

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Car looks great and it's great to see it handling that kind of mileage. You have to tell us what you do to make the CC clutch last that long. Driving style, shift to neutral to glide to a stop or downshift to use engine braking? Shift to neutral at stoplights? Sport mode all the time? ect ect. Thanks for sharing.

Since the original owner of the car put the majority of the miles on that clutch, I'll relay the driving style that he suggested to me. He said that he absolutely always stayed out of auto mode. He said that's a complete "no no". He didnt mention ever using sport mode, however I greatly prefer it and logically it seems like it would prolong the clutch life as it slips the clutch a lot less.

Something else the original owner mentioned that blew me away is that the car has its original brake pads and rotors. He said he always downshifted to slow down the car and would brake as little as possible. At 172k, the brakes actually have about 20% life left. I think they'll make it to 200k! The service records confirm that there has never been any brake work aside from fluid changes.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Since the original owner of the car put the majority of the miles on that clutch, I'll relay the driving style that he suggested to me. He said that he absolutely always stayed out of auto mode. He said that's a complete "no no". He didnt mention ever using sport mode, however I greatly prefer it and logically it seems like it would prolong the clutch life as it slips the clutch a lot less.

Something else the original owner mentioned that blew me away is that the car has its original brake pads and rotors. He said he always downshifted to slow down the car and would brake as little as possible. At 172k, the brakes actually have about 20% life left. I think they'll make it to 200k! The service records confirm that there has never been any brake work aside from fluid changes.

172k miles on original pads...on a Maserati....OK now you're just making stuff up ;) That's really incredible. Even more incredible is the fact he downshifted which adds more clutch wear per mile and he still got 130k miles out of the clutch. That has to be a well babied car and all highway miles and even so it's still very impressive. Thanks for sharing the details and I hope you get another 130k miles out of your new clutch!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Could you maybe provide a summary of your experience in some areas (below) that seem to get a lot of attention on forums?
- sticky interior
- heater core
- oil leaks
- F1 relay replacement
- Cat converter rattles and deterioration
- Do you use the Formula Dynamics DBW?

thanks for your time!

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Could you maybe provide a summary of your experience in some areas (below) that seem to get a lot of attention on forums?
- sticky interior
- heater core
- oil leaks
- F1 relay replacement
- Cat converter rattles and deterioration
- Do you use the Formula Dynamics DBW?

thanks for your time!

Certainly.

I had all of the vents, buttons, and steering column trim refinished. Lorenzo here did the vents and buttons and I did the steering column trim.

The heater core is original, but it's starting to smell coolanty. It's time for a bypass or replacement.

There are no oil leaks. The valve cover gaskets were done at about 140k. Aside from that, nothing has ever leaked and it's completely dry currently.

The F1 relay is original. No issues.

No issues ever with the cats.

I do not have the formula dynamics dbw but I'd like to get it eventually.

I hope this answers your questions!!

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
"Sure! I'll go drop off those things at FedEx!" Everyone at the office thinks I'm really nice, but I just wanted another reason to drive my car!

·
Registered
448 Posts
Great news for all, I have just done 91000 kl in my 2006 gs it had a new clutch, previous owner, about 30k ago, I would like to get the fd dbw and will do so when it needs a new clutch hopefully in another 50k plus. I too only drive in sport, try not to reverse up hill, and use 2nd gear in slow moving traffic as little as possible.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Frari, those are all good practices, but I find that the most important thing is to drive the car like a stick. Feel when the clutch is engaging, be firm with the accelerator, and minimize the slip. The computer's goal is to give you as smooth a ride as possible, which means slipping the clutch. Your goal should be to not let the computer be in total control. Many reports now of long clutch life, including 100k, and use of this approach. Best of luck.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thank you very much for the information. The internet can be a breeding ground for complaining and negativity so it is good to see someone that has been successful with these cars over many miles. I end up with irrational worries about mine, trying to get rid of them and just enjoy the car.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I really believe that the key to these cars being reliable is not letting them sit. I think the reason mine has been so great is the fact that it has generally been used every day since it was new. As the previous owner lived in the south, and I live in the heart of lake-effect snow territory on the shore of Lake Erie, I'll be forced to put the car away for half of the year starting this winter. I'm not sure that it sitting half of the year will be good for it, but I do know that it will be better for it than driving it in the salt! I do intend on driving it up until the first snow is in the forecast, so I hope to get as much use from it as possible. That is why I intend to replace the heater core rather than bypass it so that I can use the car for 3 full seasons.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts