Maserati Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just checked their site -- there's nothing yet available for the Ghibli.

FD: any plans to support this model? I've read about Ghibli accelerator lag and immediately thought "DBW!"

·
Super Moderator
2,554 Posts
Another question to add for Jeff. It looks like a key differentiation between the standard and S model is the extra horsepower boost. Is this difference based on physical engineering or just a tuning re-programme? If the latter, will there be an FD product that will unleash more horsepower in the standard model?

·
Premium Member
4,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've heard claims that that exact engine could push out even more horsepower, if the engineers chose to do so, but, of course, they don't want to impede upon Ferrari's territory.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Same old story... if they sold a version of the V6 with 500 horsepower, then the V8 would have to offer at least 600 to justify the price difference... and then you'd have Maserati sedans being uncomfortably close to the performance of Ferraris that cost twice as much...

It's a marketing decision. Me, next time I'm changing my family sedan I'll get a Ghibli SQ4 and get it tuned up to about 500 horses by whoever offers the most professional and trustworthy package (and if FD went that way, they'd me my first choice).

·
Registered
132 Posts
i talked to FD yesterday and they have ZERO parts / upgrades avail for the ghibli at the moment. he is still waiting to get a car into the shop.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Fabspeed Motorsports is currently working on a full exhaust and tune for the 2014 ghibli anyone interested in more information please email or pm me.
did you finally get a car in the shop? do you have the RWD or the AWD model? are there any differences between the 2 models due to the AWD system?

any ETA on the tune?

btw i am the guy you spoke to on the phone from Horsham!

·
Registered
43 Posts
fabspeed or anyone who knows:
do we lose warranty if we get the car tuned? does it lose resale value (i would think most buyers would like the clean original version vs tuned car)? does the exhaust sound change post ECU tuning?

does anyone have experience with ECU tuning - pros and cons?

·
Registered
132 Posts
fabspeed or anyone who knows:
do we lose warranty if we get the car tuned? does it lose resale value (i would think most buyers would like the clean original version vs tuned car)? does the exhaust sound change post ECU tuning?

does anyone have experience with ECU tuning - pros and cons?
do you lose your warranty, the answer is yes and no...

think of it like this, when you change your ECU and remap the way your car processes certain events, ie timing, air flow, fuel mixtures, etc...

fast forward 3 months from now you blow your engine and take it into the shop maserati can and will void your warranty if they discover you did this. the chip makers claim their tune is undetectable, and in most cases they are, bc the dealers / techs are not looking for it, but in an extreme case of blowing your engine, if maserati looked deep enough they could determine the ECU was changed. in this case warranty = VOID on all engine related components.

now lets assume the tune was done and 3 months from now your xenon headlights fail, or your sunroof stops working. im 100% certain the dealer would not detect any ECU change bc they are not looking for it, they are looking at your lights / roof. assuming maserati discovers you changed the ECU, they still could NOT void your warranty for your sunroof since changing the ECU had no effect on your sunroof...

so even in the most extreme cases they can only void the portion of your warranty that was effected by the tune, engine related components. all non engine related components by law would still be covered.

you follow me?

as for the tune changing the exhaust sound and volume the tune = no change. if you want to change the sound or loudness you will need to swap out the mufflers and / or the cats. if you want the car louder you need to create less restrictions and open those pipes up!

i know most of you guys think the ghibli sounds perfect, but it does not. if you come from a bmw or a benz its a big improvement, but if you listen to the grand turismo w/ larinis or fabspeed maxflo's then you will understand what i am talking about, a GT with those systems just let out a whaling roar! visit youtube and check it out. i would imagine it will be hard to duplicate that depth working w/ 6 cylinders vs the V8, sigh.

·
Registered
206 Posts
do you lose your warranty, the answer is yes and no...

think of it like this, when you change your ECU and remap the way your car processes certain events, ie timing, air flow, fuel mixtures, etc...

fast forward 3 months from now you blow your engine and take it into the shop maserati can and will void your warranty if they discover you did this. the chip makers claim their tune is undetectable, and in most cases they are, bc the dealers / techs are not looking for it, but in an extreme case of blowing your engine, if maserati looked deep enough they could determine the ECU was changed. in this case warranty = VOID on all engine related components.

now lets assume the tune was done and 3 months from now your xenon headlights fail, or your sunroof stops working. im 100% certain the dealer would not detect any ECU change bc they are not looking for it, they are looking at your lights / roof. assuming maserati discovers you changed the ECU, they still could NOT void your warranty for your sunroof since changing the ECU had no effect on your sunroof...

so even in the most extreme cases they can only void the portion of your warranty that was effected by the tune, engine related components. all non engine related components by law would still be covered.

you follow me?
you would be completely correct. to answer the rest of the question you do not need the tune to notice a sound and power change from the exhaust.

·
Premium Member
4,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Fabspeed Motorsports is currently working on a full exhaust and tune for the 2014 ghibli anyone interested in more information please email or pm me.
Thanks!

I wasn't particularly impressed by FD's complete absence from this thread, though I've noticed that they search out, and post to, all threads which relate to their name or products.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I do not have the car in the shop currently. I do however have the QP SQ4 which has some of the same exact parts. I do know this currently, i do have primary sport cats in the works at this time. I'm hoping all said and done after the tune that we have the car right around the 500 hp mark with some great sound improvements.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I do not have the car in the shop currently. I do however have the QP SQ4 which has some of the same exact parts. I do know this currently, i do have primary sport cats in the works at this time. I'm hoping all said and done after the tune that we have the car right around the 500 hp mark with some great sound improvements.
What do you project as the time frame for product to be available on the market AJ? The question is mostly out of curiosity b/c I seem to be leaning totally towards the Gran Turismo Sport convertible come purchase time. But I'll probably be installing an exhaust system eventually so not to worry!!:cheers:

·
Registered
206 Posts
What do you project as the time frame for product to be available on the market AJ? The question is mostly out of curiosity b/c I seem to be leaning totally towards the Gran Turismo Sport convertible come purchase time. But I'll probably be installing an exhaust system eventually so not to worry!!:cheers:
Looking to have it available withing the next 2 months at the latest. however dont hold me to it but it might be sooner then that. only reason i say 2 months is that we also have a Ferrari F12 in the shop for exhaust development also.

·
Registered
132 Posts
AJ,

if you are estimating 500hp on SQ4 engine which comes stock @ 410hp, that is a 90hp jump.

to take this a step further, we have the same engine in the base RWD ghibli, but its factory tuned to 330hp. if you tune that ECU the same way, we are looking at 170hp GAIN..! that would be [email protected] incredible to say the least. those engines are the same size, litre, turbos, etc.

who is going to be your chip maker?

if we can get this done sooner then later i will bring my car over ASAP so you can get this thing on the dyno and moving. like i said im 10 minutes up the road in horsham / maple glen.

tom.

·
Vendor
4,728 Posts
Sorry gentleman, we just missed this thread...

As of today, we have Wheel Spacer Kits and sport wheels available for all Ghibli models.

We are currently in development with many other parts for the Ghibli, including all the products you've come to know from FD.

Of course we will release more details as the products are closer to completion.

Best Regards,

·
Premium Member
4,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

As of today, we have Wheel Spacer Kits and sport wheels available for all Ghibli models.

We are currently in development with many other parts for the Ghibli, including all the products you've come to know from FD.

Of course we will release more details as the products are closer to completion.

Best Regards,
That's great news!

·
Registered
132 Posts

Best Regards,
whats the specs on the spacers? 15mm?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts