Maserati Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like many others I've now installed the drive by wire module provided by Jeff at FD

The instructions are accurate - the key difference is for a RH drive the ECU is located in the right side kick panel on the driver's side (in the right front seat) not the passenger seat as per instructions provided.

Being a RHD GS ('05 model) this actually made it easier to locate / secure the FD program switches as they could be easily zip-tied in a presentable way under the steering column - no holes required and no need for remote wires.

But what a difference even the 'standard' program makes... it's like a completely different GS - in a good way of course... The engine feels more loaded / immediately responsive. A bit like running advanced timing. Take offs are easier, quicker. No more stomping on the accelerator to get the car moving.

Even in the standard program I'm finding you can cruise with a higher gear than previous. Given the car is more responsive there is no need to kick down from 5th to 4th anymore at normal cruising speed.

The 'other' DBWM program available makes the GS even more lively - this is the program I'll end up using. Beware - the standard DBWM program can spin the wheels more easily than factory programming, The 'other' DBWM program spins the wheels before you think spinning the wheels spin... So respect it for what it is... especially around corners...

I have a set of Larini boxes fitted. After the DBWM the back-crackling and burble have toned down a bit. Not that it's a bad thing... Suspect this happens as the engine is responding quicker therefore pushes gases through the exhaust in a more efficient manner(?) Be interested to hear what you all think...

Overall tyre wear will suffer, but the DBWM is a mod worth doing :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
That's good to hear with your positive result.

I'm in Melbourne also. I bought the DBW from Jeff before Xmas but a bit hesitate to install it myself. Is there any tips you could share with us in terms of DIY?

Cheers

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My soldering skills aren't great so I got Chris from Autotecnica motors to do it for me

51 Bakers Rd
Coburg North VIC
03 9354 5933

It took Chris about 2 hours. Including hooking up the ODB2 to check / double check before and after the install as per Jeff's instructions. He does all the work on the GS. I wouldn't trust anyone else.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts