Maserati Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all

Installed the FD brake pads today, together with a complete bleeding using a vacuum pump, flush and topping with Motul RBF 660 (not 600, checked with Motul and it's their new, top-end product for street/track -that is, mixed- applications... a bit lower wet boiling point than the 600, but much higher dry boiling point). Beaded the pads with 6 sudden stops from 60-80 mph as suggested (a bid of burnt smell, which was the pads surface dirt to peel-off I guess).

Veredict : did not notice any change in braking power/response; this said, the brakes feel firm and I experience no squeal whatsoever. As for the braking power, I guess I have not noticed a major difference as when we took-off the Brembo pads, they looked almost brand-new. Decided not to machine a slot for the brake sensor; better to leave the pads un-touched. As Jeff was saying in a separate thread, they will be replaced well before the sensor would alert me to do so...

Overall : nice pads with as good as OEM braking power (maybe for the reasons stated above) with no lock, 0 squeal... will give them extra miles for a more thorough assessment but they provide you confidence, which is what you expect from any braking application (that's something you don't mess about...)

Would however recommend Jeff (for the future) to use a cast with a slot for the sensor for the right-front pad... that would make the pads 100% fit-comparable to OEM and most aftermarket products from Bendix, Ferodo, EBC,...

Well done Jeff :D

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As you start driving more, you'll notice they are much better in stopping power...
Hi Ali

As said, it might also be that the fitted pads looked almost brand-new (meaning an almost like-for-like comparison in terms of condition). Agree, however, in that more miles need to be put on the FD pads for a full assessment. That's why I added the qualifier 'first impressions' in the thread title.

Overall, my fair view at this stage is that FD pads are as good as OEMs, which, for a fraction of the price, in itself is a great thing. If they become better once they get more seasoned, well... :D

·
Registered
744 Posts
I am very surprised.

I changed to the FD street pads, SS lines and RB 600 and I found the difference to be dramatic to say the least. A lot of folks on this forum know me to be pretty blunt about the shortcomings of the stock car (the sub standard brakes being a big area) but I am pretty happy about the FD improvements.

Prior to the change, braking at very high speeds was a truly frightening experience. Poor feedback, lots of pressure required and almost impossible to modulate. Today, I took on a Porsche GT3 in a pretty boody high speed brawl and we both had to brake HARD from well over 100 MPH due to traffic congestion caused by a construction zone and the brakes performed well (albeit with some smoking and smell). He clearly had a braking advantage but I held up and I fear to think of what would have happened with the stock set up.

Have you tried your pads under some really extreme high speed stops - your opinion might change.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Well, when beading the pads did 6 60/80 to zilch stops, the car hold very well, no rotor slippage, not tremendous amount of pressure on the brakes... and of course I was braking hard.

We did a perfect bleed/flush of the system.

Of course I have not installed the braided SS lines, but unless that makes for a HUGE difference... which I reckon would be definitively the case on older cars, where the OEM rubber lines would show signs of age. BUT it might be the next modding to do, when the car comes out of official warranty (been clearly told by dealer of the implications of changing the brake lines on warranty... as it relates to a safety device, no matter how superior the mod is relative to OEM, as they are not homologated in Europe they seem less than accomodating on potential warranty issues... interestingly, they showed no fuss on the pads).

The RBF 660 is overall a better fluid than the 600... as told by Motul themselves. However, the difference is not huge and both of them are better than anything else available out there... so I don't see that as being a source of difference in performance.

Again, it might just be the pads need some additional seasoning. Usage will tell, but overall I am pleased.

·
Vendor
4,738 Posts
Glad to hear it Ed, thanks for the review. I do believe that we produce a higher torque value, that's based on being on the racetrack and performing stops against known speed / brake markers. However any change in pads will rarely be huge, unless you're willing to sacrifice something. i.e. noise, dust, rust, rotor wear, etc...

I would agree that it's a solid alternative to the stock pads and the alternative brands which seem to be noisy and low on stopping torque.

Regards,
-- Jeff

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Glad to hear it Ed, thanks for the review. I do believe that we produce a higher torque value, that's based on being on the racetrack and performing stops against known speed / brake markers. However any change in pads will rarely be huge, unless you're willing to sacrifice something. i.e. noise, dust, rust, rotor wear, etc...

I would agree that it's a solid alternative to the stock pads and the alternative brands which seem to be noisy and low on stopping torque.

Regards,
-- Jeff
Indeed Jeff, your pads are a good product. No quibbles at all, on the contrary. And as you say, differences in stopping distance will rarely be huge if the only mod are the pads. Usage (and beading) will determine if they hang-on tighter than OEMs as they age. Dunno, but maybe the rotor surface needs to adapt itself to the new pads; any wear would be matching the wear in the original pads, so a bit of peeling through usage might provide a tighter contact between the rotor and the new pads.

So, overall, a solid prouduct at a fraction of the price of OEMs. Let's see how they fare on the durability side. Either way, you cannot go wrong with them :D

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Jeff
Just sent you a request for some pricing for my 3200GT.
Reading the forum it apprears that your product has some following, and I need to be reassured that the pads will live up to expectations.
Im keen to get a full set back to Melbourne, Australia.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts