Maserati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my second car to manifest this problem. On my '04 CC at around 13k miles, the right paddle shifter started to exhibit a very small amount of "play", maybe 1/16"?, ultimately over the next couple of months, it got so bad, I figured quite soon, I'd have to resort to placing it in Auto and avoid manually shifting at all. Didn't send in for service, since MNA and I were in lemon law settlement phase. They wound up picking it up just prior to it giving out completely. Now I'm in the '06 GS and after just 3k miles, I just started to notice a tiny bit of play last Friday and since then, it's gotten worse to the point of perhaps 1/8" to 1/4", although I haven't attempted to measure specifically. I'm scheduled in for service at end of week, problem is, they need the car just to remove the shroud around the steering column just to determine the cause and if they need to order a part or simply tighten screws. Anyone here experience the same issue and if so...what was the solution? I'm very careful w/ the car and do not "manhandle" the paddle shifters in any way, although I'd be hard pressed to imagine just how one would do so, and for what reason!

Thanks in advance for any insight on this one. I'd prefer to just bring the car in once either for adjustment or to install a part, rather than twice!
Carl

·
Registered
246 Posts
Haven't seen this at all. I have 30k miles on my car and always shift manually. Like you apparently do, I am pretty gentle with the paddles. I have found that the slightest pull actuates the shifting mechanism.
Good luck.
Mike

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good to hear it's not a widespread problem!

I've been reviewing this Forum for about a year and a half and don't ever recall anyone registering this particular complaint, which I'm actually pleased to observe. That said, it would be helpful to hear if someone has experienced this so I don't have to waste time having the dealer take the steering column shroud apart, only to tell me that they need to order a part and to come back 2 weeks later for installation. It would be nice if they had the ability to go to some sort of "FAQ" or other clearing house of information to describe symptoms and see solutions/parts/adjustments required, etc.
Carl

·
Registered
54 Posts
Floppy Paddle

I had to have my upshift paddle adjusted at 1000m, but dont tell my wife!!

Drevil
2005 Maserati GranSport
2004 Ducati ST4S

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Clarification on upshift paddle adjustment @ 1,000m

Not to pry, but was that a "tongue in cheek" reference, or is there a specific reason to have one's upshift paddle adjusted at 1,000m and to avoid having one's wife aware of that? Assuming no double entendre humor, am I safe in assuming you had the same problem as I described? If so, it sounds as if it was an adjustment, rather than a part replacement. Correct??
Thanks
Carl

·
Registered
518 Posts
My 05 (bought in 06) coupe had the issue when I bought it (9k) I added a little loctite and tightened up the screws have not had a problem since (currently 22k)

·
Registered
695 Posts
My Spyder right paddle almost fell off before getting it back to the shop. It was covered under warranty and just required gaining access and tightening down the screws. This happened within 1000 miles of purchase (new).

-EDIT- Why am I answering a two and half year old thread? I must not be awake yet. Where's that can of Monster?

·
Registered
160 Posts
This is my second car to manifest this problem. On my '04 CC at around 13k miles, the right paddle shifter started to exhibit a very small amount of "play", maybe 1/16"?, ultimately over the next couple of months, it got so bad, I figured quite soon, I'd have to resort to placing it in Auto and avoid manually shifting at all. Didn't send in for service, since MNA and I were in lemon law settlement phase. They wound up picking it up just prior to it giving out completely. Now I'm in the '06 GS and after just 3k miles, I just started to notice a tiny bit of play last Friday and since then, it's gotten worse to the point of perhaps 1/8" to 1/4", although I haven't attempted to measure specifically. I'm scheduled in for service at end of week, problem is, they need the car just to remove the shroud around the steering column just to determine the cause and if they need to order a part or simply tighten screws. Anyone here experience the same issue and if so...what was the solution? I'm very careful w/ the car and do not "manhandle" the paddle shifters in any way, although I'd be hard pressed to imagine just how one would do so, and for what reason!

Thanks in advance for any insight on this one. I'd prefer to just bring the car in once either for adjustment or to install a part, rather than twice!
Carl
I had this problem on my 04 coupe it was replaced under warranty it happened at around 18,000 miles in 07, no problem since then, I have 44,000 miles now. As usually MNA never admits to having a problem but it seems the replacement is better than original. I am curious what your Lemon Law settlement was about?

·
Registered
160 Posts
I had this problem on my 04 coupe it was replaced under warranty it happened at around 18,000 miles in 07, no problem since then, I have 44,000 miles now. As usually MNA never admits to having a problem but it seems the replacement is better than original. I am curious what your Lemon Law settlement was about?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
9 Participants
jbergstein
Maserati Forum
We’re a forum to discuss the Maserati Coupé, Spyder, GranTurismo, Ghibli, Quattroporte and more!
Full Forum Listing