Maserati Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
That's exactly what it is. The top end, heads, intake etc. are from a vintage can-am engine, the block is Merlin X aluminum, and the rotating assem. is Crower. Best of old, best of new. Car has a 355 small block with 44 IDF set up in it now. Got tired of constant wrenching and bought another Maserati. If you look closely in the top left corner of rear susp. pik you can see my old Biturbo engine.

·
Premium Member
1,060 Posts
Yes, the flat plane crank is lighter, but the added weight of the cross plane has another benefit other than vibration...Here is the problem in a street car...That heavy weight spinning around at 800-1000 RPMs at idle is kinetic energy...It is what helps clutch engagement at low RPMs and dampens the A/C compressor coming on...That is why you pretty much don't see many street cars coming with an aluminum flywheel from the factory...Fine on track car
Yup, absolutely.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Ok, I have stepped in it now, I'll look like a one delta ten tango if I can't get pix to load. It worked.
#1 engine. View attachment 128501 View attachment 128502 View attachment 128503 View attachment 128504 View attachment 128505 #2 is rear suspension, #3 piston weight #4 Titanium connecting rod is lighter than piston #5 is front suspension.
Ok, youse guys have too many toys...I’m jealous...any way a novice like myself could swing by and check out this engine and cars? What a fantastic career/hobby to have!

If you could share more pics from you both that would be groovy.

Kindly,
Stephen

·
Registered
69 Posts
Thanks Stephen, I'll post more, but I'll do it on a new thread, I feel like I kind of highjacked this one. Sorry guys. My point though was that what looks or sounds like a good idea, may not be that great. I spent tons of money and time on that car only to discover that I would have been much happier if I had bought my Mas. instead. I bet Jason has some cool ones to post!

3,137 Posts
Yeah, a new thread would be in order, but my pics...You got a Merlin block BBC with some kind of modern Hilborn injection system and probably some kind of CNC heads...I don't have dick to compare to that...What is the BBC? 502? 540? CI......Maybe some pics of a BMW M20 engine I did the head work on....:D Jason

21 - 25 of 25 Posts