Maserati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, got woken up by my 2009 4.7 GTS 1.30am last night with the alarm going off. Whatever I tried with the fob I couldn't disarm it nor open the car manually with the key. After 15 minutes it stopped. This morning, Christmas tree of lights and no turn over. Seemed a flat battery. Had a recovery guy out and he got the car started but couldn't get into the boot no matter what he tried. He couldn't move the car, seemed the handbrake was stuck on. He said it would need taking to a garage. He left. I turned the car off, back on and I can now drive it off the drive but the trunk release doesn't work with any of the 3 options - manual, button on dash, button on fob, so I can't get to the battery. The boot button feels 'softer' than it did. I wonder if the trunk and flat battery are connected (stuck solenoid draining the battery?) or is the trunk not opening because of the flat battery? If it's only the battery, if I can get to it I can change it and not have to go to a garage. However, if it's the trunk switch causing the problem, then I assume a new battery will simply drain straightaway. Two immediate things. Can I get into the trunk and can I lock the car manually without arming the alarm - don't want to upset the neighbours! Any helpful ideas please!

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
Are you pulling the manual release cable under the left rear seat cushion ? Sounds like your battery just went bad and it is not anything with the trunk...On the trunk switch there is rectangular black plastic part...It can break and not activate the trunk switch...You may want to take a screwdriver and pop out the plastic piece and try to hit the release switch with your fingers...Jason

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The ring pull is not on the cable, so it would seem that it's been pulled before. Just about to give it a go with a pair of pliers. I'll also have a look at trunk switch. I can see the screws you're talking about. Thanks for the advice! Nigel

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Jason, great advice, thanks. So, eventually found the manual release cable tucked well under seat and carpet. Had to take seat base out but only two bolts, so not too bad. Easy pull and trunk open. Hooray! Battery is January 2015, showing 12.05 volts on a battery tester. Car runs and no warning lights but still all 3 usual ways of getting into the trunk not working. Taken off the plastic/rubber over the trunk switch. This seems okay and you can hear the click of the switch working, so that seems okay. I assume there's a solenoid behind there somewhere. Could it be that? If that is stuck, could that have drained the battery? Got battery on trickle charge to see what it does. Any other thoughts?

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
Replace the battery....I see more people having trouble with these cars because they are being cheap...Put a new battery in the car every 2 years...It is not that much money....A 4 yr old car battery makes a great door stop...Measuring open voltage of a car battery does nothing to tell you how it performs under a load...IE cranking the car...I like Interstate and AC Delco brand batteries.....When you replace the battery then cycle the key fob buttons and everything will probably start working again....Jason

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Jason, good thinking, especially with winter not too far off. Guess that's tomorrow's job.

·
Premium Member
1,495 Posts
.Measuring open voltage of a car battery does nothing to tell you how it performs under a load...IE cranking the car...I like Interstate and AC Delco brand batteries....
Agreeing with Jason is a redundancy, but this point is so essential it compels a + 1 .
Only load testing batteries are a valid indication of cranking power .
Even with that fact aside, 12.05 is a low reading . When you consider what the voltage baseline is , a difference between something like a 12.3 reading and a 12.05 may seem ostensibly small, but it’s actually a “ night and day “ difference in terms of power .

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Jason and all - spot on. New battery and bit of playing around with the key fob - all now working fine. Thanks again!!
Cheers
Nigel

1 - 9 of 9 Posts