Maserati Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
Why bother?

The FD ECM and DBW chips are a cheaper, more convenient and more effective option.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
More Detail Please

Thank you. I am not very knowledgeable in this area thus am not familiar with ECM and DBW chips you mention. Can you provide a little more detail? Is it a chip replacement or flash download? Also, any details on cost, etc. would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Houston - "We got a solution" (sorry for the pun) But, seriously, many of us here have turned to FormulaDynamics for performance enhancements to our cars. Search the forum for a wealth of information on the Drive By Wire (DBW) and the ECM unit. Jeff (the owner) is a stand-up guy and comes highly recommended from all of us here.

http://www.formuladynamics.com/

·
Registered
306 Posts
I'm in the same boat

I've read quite a bit about doing flash upgrades on other vehicles to increase air intake and horsepower. Does anyone have info on flash upgrades available for an 02 Spyder GT?

I appreciate your help!
I'm in the same boat as you, and have checked many of the threads on this subject. I'm feeling fairly comfortable with the idea of going with the Formula Dynamics plug-in boxes for both engine management and transmission shifting upgrades.

I had spoken to several other companies offering the reflash option (including one in Houston) for the ECU upgrade but didn't like the idea of sending the unit away nor the idea that, even though Maserati technicians and/or service software might not notice the reflash whenever the car's back in the shop, if they do (or even suspect it's upgraded) they will very likely just over-write your beautiful new upgrade and reload the standard settings. Then you're either back to square one, or will have to send the ECU away to be reflashed....again. I can do without that pain.

Overall I think it's a cleaner solution to keep the OEM standard settings while getting the improved performance via the add-on boxes - that can always be unplugged again if you want.

The only reason I haven't fitted them yet is I want to sort the exhaust first.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Thank you. I am not very knowledgeable in this area thus am not familiar with ECM and DBW chips you mention. Can you provide a little more detail? Is it a chip replacement or flash download? Also, any details on cost, etc. would be greatly appreciated!
Sure. These are "piggyback" chips. They are conneced in to the wire harness but can be easily bypassed. No major modification and as noted you do not need to remove and send the ECU away.

The ECM chip reamaps air/ fuel ratio and adds about 20HP.

The DBW does not add power per se but rather remaps the throttle response so that more throttle input is added with a much shorter pedal travel. I believe that it also remaps the shift points on CC cars. The interesting thing is that it has the net effect of adding more power. If you think about it, the OEM pedal travel is around 4" and I find that it takes a minimum of 1 second to push the pedal to the floor (which is what it takes to get the engine to wake up. A 1/2 second improvement in this (due to the DBW) is no different than adding 1/2 second to the 0-60 acceleration time since it all happens in first gear. Adding that uisng power only upgrades would take about 30HP (or more). Voila!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts