Maserati Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!!!! I am new to the site and look forward to your input.

I do not own a Maserati YET but am considering buying either a Spyder or a Coupe between '02 thru '04.

Just wanted to know your thoughts on a comparison between the two and what I should know about each as I look for them. Any known issues or problems with either. Positive stories about either would also be great :D

Thanks!!!

Mark K.

·
Super Moderator
4,261 Posts
Hi Mark, welcome to ML :)

There is loads of info on the two cars on the forum, do have a search around.

The Coupe vs Spyder choice really comes down to your preference for drop tops and whether you need rear seats. I am not a big fan of them and prefer a slightly more focused car and need to have space for at least 3 people in the car, hence a Coupe would work better.

Ask yourself these questions and you shall know the answer ;)

Good luck with your search.

·
5,887 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Guenzak, agreed, you should buy the latest model you can afford. Because the cars from both a hardware and software standpoint did get better. The Gransports are an almost different beast than the regular 4200. However if you are not going to do a gransport, might I suggest getting something that's at least 2005.

Good luck

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Guys. Judging from your replys I was correct in assuming the only major diff between the Spyder and coupe is 2 seat ragtop and 4 seat hardtop. Unfortunatly all the 2005s that I have seen are out of my price
range :mad: In fact a 2004 is probably pushing it. I will probably have to go with an 02 or 03

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Thanks Guys. Judging from your replys I was correct in assuming the only major diff between the Spyder and coupe is 2 seat ragtop and 4 seat hardtop. Unfortunatly all the 2005s that I have seen are out of my price
range :mad: In fact a 2004 is probably pushing it. I will probably have to go with an 02 or 03
i agree with all statements regarding reading the forum, buying the latest you can afford.

however, your assumption is incorrect. the spyder and coupe handles differently. i would encourage you to drive both and see for it yourself. if you need an open top car, go for the spyder. otherwise, IMO, go for the coupe.

·
5,887 Posts
The Coupe is a better car for spirited driving. I don't know what your price range is but this car ('04, great options, 20K miles) is probably a bargain if you can live with the colors...

http://maseratiofminneapolis.com/used_car_details.php?morriesid=2U70015C

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am very surprised that the Coupe is better for "spirited" driving. I had thought that the spyder with it's skyhook suspension would handle better, and the fact that it is a two seater (i'm assuming a shorter wheelbase) would give it a faster 0-60. Is this incorrect??? Also note that I would go for the Cambiocorsa transmission on either the coupe or the Spyder :)

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I am very surprised that the Coupe is better for "spirited" driving. I had thought that the spyder with it's skyhook suspension would handle better, and the fact that it is a two seater (i'm assuming a shorter wheelbase) would give it a faster 0-60. Is this incorrect??? Also note that I would go for the Cambiocorsa transmission on either the coupe or the Spyder :)
why would you be very surprised that a coupe would be better for 'spirited' driving than an open top car??

·
Registered
695 Posts
Quensak,

You will have to define "spirited driving". The Spyder does not disappoint, but it is "softer" than the Coupe. Structural integrity is reduced due to removing the roof and weight is added for additional bracing and the installed hydromechanical equip to operate the canvas top. I believe the Spyder's suspension geometry/shock valving has been adjusted a couple times from '02 to '04 to better dial in the handling due to the Spyder's compromises.

Where a Spyder out-maneuvers the Coupe, however, is in target-rich locations such as any popular sunny Beach. Something about a convertible with the top down beckons well-endowed-on-small-frames (aka California girls) to rest said bosoms upon window sill when chatting and inspecting fine Italian interiors. Our Coupe brothers know naught of such treats, but rather hide inside their caged coffins, behind their tinted windows - wondering where they went wrong. :)

·
5,887 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quensak,

Where a Spyder out-maneuvers the Coupe, however, is in target-rich locations such as any popular sunny Beach. Something about a convertible with the top down beckons well-endowed-on-small-frames (aka California girls) to rest said bosoms upon window sill when chatting and inspecting fine Italian interiors. Our Coupe brothers know naught of such treats, but rather hide inside their caged coffins, behind their tinted windows - wondering where they went wrong. :)
LMAO :D I am on my 3rd convertable (98 Z-3, 00 Boxster, 02 XKR) and do love the drop tops. I wish I lived in Ca. so I could enjoy the added benefits that it brings but where I live (In Eastern WA. st) the women are just a bunch of hillbilly single moms with multiple kids living in single wides. Have to get 3 or 4 at a time just to get a full set of teeth.;)

·
5,887 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts