Maserati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have located a 2002 Coupe CC Grigio Metallic Exterior for sale with 51,000. The asking price is $22,995.00

I called the mechanic who changed the fluids last month and who also performed a basic inspection on the vehicle and he noticed that a rim was a little bent, there was oil on the front cover from a potential leak. the Engine mounts could be replaced (something the mechanic said wasn't an emergancy to get repaired), I think the pads were a little worn and could be replaced.

I'm going to look at it this Saturday and will plan on having a PPI done by the same mechanic who changed the fluids last month.

Since I'm a complete NEWB and looking to pop my Maserati Cherry, i'm still a little skiddish about some of the repairs.

Everyone's input and expertice regarding if I should go ahead with the purchase is most welcome!!!!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I bought my 2002 spyder CC a couple of weeks ago and so far i know only know about the $2K annual service.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Any other service records other than the last service?

Here is a thread you should read before going to look at the car:
http://www.maseratilife.com/forums/modern-maserati/2875-diy-pre-purchase-inspection.html

Here is another one that has some good points on ownership:
http://www.maseratilife.com/forums/coupe-spyder-gs/13910-02-04-coupes-spyders.html

Unless you are putting a lot of miles on the car, annually you are looking at an oil change. Every two years the manual calls for basically a full fluid/filter change which can run around $2k.

Something you will definitely want to have checked is clutch life. Members have paid between $3k-$5k to have a clutch replaced, which Im sure you don't want to do off the bat. To check the % of clutch remaining (which is pretty much a guesstimate) you need a special computer which only dealers or independent shops which specialize in Ferraris/Maseratis have. You mentioned you were going to have a PPI done by the person who last changed the fluids, you should make sure this person is actually familiar with these cars. They aren't necessarily more difficult to perform maintenance on than a "normal" car, however you really want a person who is very knowledgeable about them to perform the PPI.

If you want to give your location, I'm sure someone on here can give you a lead on a good shop in your area.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Any other service records other than the last service?.
The car has been serviced at Autosprint in Chicago over the past couple of years. I spoke with Giovanni who has records dating back to 2009 when the owner started bringing the car there. Oil change here, fluids there, and some other minor stuff I believe

Something you will definitely want to have checked is clutch life. Members have paid between $3k-$5k to have a clutch replaced, which Im sure you don't want to do off the bat. To check the % of clutch remaining (which is pretty much a guesstimate) you need a special computer which only dealers or independent shops which specialize in Ferraris/Maseratis have. You mentioned you were going to have a PPI done by the person who last changed the fluids, you should make sure this person is actually familiar with these cars. They aren't necessarily more difficult to perform maintenance on than a "normal" car, however you really want a person who is very knowledgeable about them to perform the PPI.
Yeah Autosprint Imports has dedicated themselves to Ferrari, Maserati, Fiat, Alfa since the 80s, so I trust their ability when they say they are familiar with the PPI. Giovanni did say that if he were to blindly throw a $$ repair amount at the car he said about $10,000.00 which i find a little hard to believe. Thank you for the advice, i'll definitely check out the links!

·
Registered
78 Posts
The car has been serviced at Autosprint in Chicago over the past couple of years. I spoke with Giovanni who has records dating back to 2009 when the owner started bringing the car there. Oil change here, fluids there, and some other minor stuff I believe

Yeah Autosprint Imports has dedicated themselves to Ferrari, Maserati, Fiat, Alfa since the 80s, so I trust their ability when they say they are familiar with the PPI. Giovanni did say that if he were to blindly throw a $$ repair amount at the car he said about $10,000.00 which i find a little hard to believe. Thank you for the advice, i'll definitely check out the links!
From what you mentioned $10k sounds pretty high. There have been a few members who had to have some oil seals replaced if I remember right. Try doing a search and see if you come up with something. Also, if there really are $10k in repairs needed, you might want to keep looking at other cars. There are plenty out there for sale (especially considering how few were brought here in the first place).

·
Registered
715 Posts
Hello,

I have located a 2002 Coupe CC Grigio Metallic Exterior for sale with 51,000. The asking price is $22,995.00

I called the mechanic who changed the fluids last month and who also performed a basic inspection on the vehicle and he noticed that a rim was a little bent, there was oil on the front cover from a potential leak. the Engine mounts could be replaced (something the mechanic said wasn't an emergancy to get repaired), I think the pads were a little worn and could be replaced.

I'm going to look at it this Saturday and will plan on having a PPI done by the same mechanic who changed the fluids last month.

Since I'm a complete NEWB and looking to pop my Maserati Cherry, i'm still a little skiddish about some of the repairs.

Everyone's input and expertice regarding if I should go ahead with the purchase is most welcome!!!!!
I saw this car for sale through one of my various notifications. Best of luck and hope it works out!

·
Registered
618 Posts
10k in repairs !! Continue your search. Lots of good deals out there.
No need to buy someone else's problems !!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've decided to move on and not purchase. First I don't have a garage lol, and second i'm looking to pick up another investment property in 2012 (already have 1) and that seems to be a better use of my funds for the moment. Once i move out and rent the unit i'm living it, it will instantly cash flow $500/mo which can be used as a nice down payment on a newer one.

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
Sounds like the prudent decision. They will only get less expensive.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Looks like you are on the way to Rising2thetop. No pun intended, haha.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts