Maserati Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, my name is Joe.

I currently have an E36 M3 and it's a great great greaaaat car, but it's getting old-- so naturally I'm looking for another car (in addition). I've always loved the new Masers, and now that some can be gotten at really superb prices, I've been getting second thoughs. See, at first, I was going to get an E46 M3 in addition to my car. However, for almost the same price we could a Coupe. I just have a few questions...

1) Since the car will be out of warranty, will maintenence be prohibitive? I've seen that these cars are great to own while still under warranty... but what about after?

2) Anything to look out for?

3) Anything to say about they in general?

Thanks in advance!

Joe

EDIT: Exhibit A. It's an extreme, but here is it: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2002...26QQihZ007QQcategoryZ6313QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

·
Registered
11 Posts
CC's are a blast

Hi Joe,
Funny that you own an M3, I recently sold my 2002 E46 M3 to a friend of mine and bought a 2004 CC with very low miles. I love M3s but in socal they are as common as hot blondes(both are fun to ride/drive). Having owned my CC for about 4 months I can honestly say it is a totally different driving experience than an M3. The M3 is a great daily driver even with the somewhat clunky SMG, whereas the CC is such a nice car I decided I didn't want to subject it to the daily toll of driving in LA. I bought an Acura RSX as a daily driver. I recently took the CC up to the Concorso Italiano in Monterey and cruised up highway one through the twisties. Keeping in mind my M3 never had a sunroof and was as stiff as board, it felt a tad more nimble, agile and lighter than the CC. But the CC is much more of an awesome driving experience. The M3 feels almost docile and Japanese like in comparision. The CC has passion:D , the M3 teutonic engineering! Big difference indeed. I prefer the Italian approach.

In summary you can drive a CC everday, but I personally feel they are best left for weekend enjoyment. I've driven my CC from purchase in Texas to LA, LA to San Diego, and LA to Monterey. Each one of these trips has been a blast! With that said the CC needs some open road to really stretch its legs. If you live in the city, an E46 M3 may be a better choice but they can get a little glitchy too--if stuck in traffic. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
909 Posts
I completely agree.

The Ms almost feel docile in comparison. And the E46 M3 while a cool sounding motor, is nothing like the maser.

I drove an E56? M5 for the first time in a while, with dinan upgrades (intake, chip, rear end, exhaust) and was amazed at how much more of a car the QP is.

Do your homework, and read through the forums. People here are very honest about what their costs of ownership are, and what they like \ dislike about the cars.

If the coupe is within reach, I would grab it over a lot of other cars in the same money range.

- Mark

btw, the 02s generally have different wheels on them, this car has been upgraded with the newer 7 spokes, which are a better looking wheel in my opinion. Plus, he claims there is some warranty left, but I would be surprised if there was more than a couple of months. Find out when the warranty actually started. Also, there are some differences between 02 and mid 03+ cars in the gearbox. This is covered in detail in other threads on the forums.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I'd still drive the M3 more, but the new car would still get out 2-4 days/week. No garage queens for me! I should have realized the M3 v Coupe question was the same as Porsche v Ferrari. I guess the Maserati just a tad bit more daily driver than it is (dedicated) weekend exotic. I'm driving one tomorrow, a CC Spyder. My car would be a coupe, but I suppse I'll still get the overall feel/experience. I'll start digging up some threads here. Thanks a lot guys.

Joe

BTW, if your M5 was the last model, it's was an E39!

·
Registered
742 Posts
Welcome to the club...

Joey:

I have an 04 CC with a tubi. I bought it with 1,000 miles and have 11,400 currently. It just puts a smile on my face and is a very "practical" exotic.

From what I have read and the mechanics I have spoken to, these cars are very reliable as long as they are maintained. A few people on this board have 50,000 Plus miles..

At 35,000 miles you may be looking at a new F1 pump $2,000, you may also want to get the clutch wear tested, a new clutch is about $3,000. They are your two biggest expenses. There is also a 30,000 mile tune up/ service that runs about $2,000 with plugs. Figure all these costs into your price before you buy. It may make sense to spend a little more upfront for a newer coupe with less service demands on the horizon.

Good luck and welcome.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I had a 95 e36 M3 and it was great. Drove it everyday and ran some BMWCCA races. I had a rollcage in it!!! The car was great and never broke. Except once when the valve keeps failed. A 95 problem that was later fixed.I had it for 7 years.

I got a 2001 E46 and hated it. It was gone in 4 months. It understeered like a pig, had a engine skip, the e-brake froze up.

I now drive a 330Ci everyday and have a S2000 and the Coupe GT for weekends. The coupe is a practical Exotic. We have a baby seat in the back and my 2 year old is always asking that we go faster!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts