Maserati Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok....

I've had lots of sports cars in my life and always wanted a Maser... When? When I was living in Paris, I fell in love with 3200GT... Whenver I saw it, I couldn't get my eyes off of them... They changed the rear lights and spyder came out, I wanted it.... Because of nagging wife with practicality issues, I stayed away from it... Instead, I settled with Cayenne Turbo and CLS 63 AMG.

I finally got my '04 Spyder this morning and drove it for the first time... CLS63 is a fast car with lots of power but too boring to drive... This maser is just amazing... I live in Miami so the weather is perfect for a spyder too..

I still have some issues though....

1. Clutch

I do not know if this is normal but when I give it a go on 1st gear, it
hesitates a little bit then takes off... 2nd gear and 3rd, no problem...
Is my cluch slipping? or it is quite normal... I know that Cambio Corsa
could be a bit jerky...

I see that everyone is concerned about the F1 pump and the clutch for
masers... How much do they cost to get them replaced? I am thinking
about taking my car to near Ferarri dealer to see what's left in my clutch..

2. Glove Box

This one is just stuck... When I was checking out the car before I bought
it, I thought they locked the glove box. But I realized that it is not opening
at all... Anyone had similar problems? I do not have owner's manual either..

3. Navigation

Navi system did not work and they said they did not have CD... They tried
another CD for QP but it did not work.... Do I have a navi or what? when
I push the buttons on the navi, then it says CD is not found.. Where do I
insert the navi CD? The dealer will try to get one for me... I got my car from
a local Lambo dealer....

I know I have some issues already with the car but I love it... It is completely different from 911's and other fast cars I have driven... I am going to drive my maser everyday for a while... I will post some pictures this weekend...

Help me out my fellow maser lovers.... I would appreciate it..

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
For the clutch...

I would highly recommend the DBW, Drive By Wire, module from formula dynamics... That hesitation will be gone..

·
Registered
773 Posts
04 spyder

welcome, i wish you good experience and enjoyment. i have an 02cc spyder. at 8000 a clutch was installed, they actuall had a recall on early cars. now have 20000 no problems since. my employees burnt first clutch. put car in sport and tromp pedal. hang on. in o3 clutch was 3000. i have no nav. have never opened glove box.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Do not worry about the Maserati NAV. For the price of the replacement CDs buy a Garmin or Magellin.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Updates...

OMG!!!!!

I drove my new ride this morning and all of sudden, the engine check signal came on.... I parked the car, turned the engine off and then restarted... It is still on... I was in panic... Drove back home and parked the car... Made an appointment at a local maserati dealer for Monday...

The things that I've noticed is that when I am at a corner, made a turn and start to accelerate, the engine gives a "loud burst" before the accelaration..
It happens in 2nd gear mostly... Is that the famous F1 pump?

I think the clutch is slipping as from 1st to 2nd, it hesitates in higher rpm (3000-4000) then it engages fully and the rpm drops to low 3000's... It does not happen in 3rd, 4th or 5th... What will be the ideal RPM to shift in normal driving conditions? I tend to shift around 4000 to 5000...

The glove box cannot be opened unless I really try to break it by pushing it down... Then it opens... I do need to go through this every time I put gas in my car.... I am going to fix that when I visit the dearlership next week...

The car runs though.... Should I drive the car over the weekend or I shouldn't?

I have no owner's manual, no previous service records... I have nothing... A friend of mine who used to have a '02 Coupe with skyhook sus said the car sounds fine... Well... I did not feel fine and now I am terrified before having the car for more than 24 hours...

Any suggestions???

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Relax....

Take the car in on Monday, have it looked over, get a piece of mind and then go enjoy the car again..... I even drove mine to work today.. Can hardly wait until 5:00pm

·
5,887 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I will check

A fuel cap that is not fully tightened can make the CEL go on. Any chance you recently put gas in the car?
The dealer put the full tank of gas when I took the car yesterday. I will check and make sure when I return home tonight...

I told the dealer that I bought the car from that I am taking the car to Maserati delaer for a complete check up... Hope I will not get hit by a huge bill... My huge(?) budget should go to a new exhaust system, lowering the car etc... I should not begin my maser life with pre-existing conditions... haha

I will keep posting the updates... It is a new experience for me....

·
5,887 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Even the cheapest $60 read-and-reset OBDII meter from your local auto discounter (Pep Boys, etc) should do the job. It's worth it in peace of mind.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Let's see

I dropped off my car this morning at Maser dealer... He is going to check everything and will get back to me... I will keep you posted...

He mentioned that the engine check light should come on for 20 seconds and it should go off autimatically... Well, mine stays on as long as the engine is turned on... I sensed that the clutch is definitely slipping in 1st and 2nd gear... I could totally feel that while driving the car up to the dealer.. Let's see what they say...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Finally....

Finally received a call from the dealer!!!!

1. Clutch is fine... but the intake booster had lose cramp... or something like that... what a relief... he said that that made feel like the clutch was slipping..

2. Engine light... they need more than 2 hours to figure out what the problem is... mabe a small crack or leak somewhere... it is not coming from the engine though...

Still estimate came out extremely high.... i have to fix seat swith 450, glove box 250, navigation cd is 650... they all add up huh? beyond imagination... well... I told him to go ahead and do it anyway... someone mentioned about supporting a coke snorting stripper is the way of owning a maser... well, i got myself into it and i am going to start my new exotic experience..

I do not know how long it will take for me to pick up the car but i will let you know how different it is going to be..

Thanks,

·
Registered
52 Posts
Finally received a call from the dealer!!!!

1. Clutch is fine... but the intake booster had lose cramp... or something like that... what a relief... he said that that made feel like the clutch was slipping..

2. Engine light... they need more than 2 hours to figure out what the problem is... mabe a small crack or leak somewhere... it is not coming from the engine though...

Still estimate came out extremely high.... i have to fix seat swith 450, glove box 250, navigation cd is 650... they all add up huh? beyond imagination... well... I told him to go ahead and do it anyway... someone mentioned about supporting a coke snorting stripper is the way of owning a maser... well, i got myself into it and i am going to start my new exotic experience..

I do not know how long it will take for me to pick up the car but i will let you know how different it is going to be..

Thanks,

Did you get the car back yet? Does the story have a happy ending? Pictures? By the way, in my 05 Coupe the NAV CD goes in the slot on the console between the seats...

·
Registered
71 Posts
Pleasae let me know who has the Navigation disc for the QP you mentioned. I am waiting for one and been told it is back ordered by the dealer in Fort Lauderdale. I know that each Maserati model use a different type. If you know of anyone that will be ready to sell it please let me know, I live in West Palm and travel to Ft. Lauderdale daily.

Thanks.

·
Registered
173 Posts
....navigation cd is 650...

Just buy the portable one. It is much better and cost a lot less. If you really want the cd, call Navtech diriectly. I think they sell it for less than $300. But make sure that your car have the Nav. My car could read the nav cd and have everything but no nav antenna so it does not work. Some car without nav option come with nav unit but no antenna. But you could add the antenna by yourself if that is the case.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Generally a quick email to navtech will source your cd for you ,they sent me a free upgraded one foc in the end , the antennae for the nav unit is seen as a wire in the centre of the windscreen, regards your engine check light , sd2/3 is needed to check, most likely something simple like a sensor , mine came on when a lamda sensor went and car ran fine till i got it done , but best atleast to check first,
Your feel much more relaxed and confident when you have had the checks done, to be honest one should never just rely on a dealers sales patter with these cars when buying second hand ,my advice always is get an independant report on the vehicle by respected source , well worth the 3/400 $ it can save you big bills in the future and is a good bargaining point money wise, it appears on this forum independant reports are not advocated as often as they should be Money well spent in my eyes especially if purchased without warranty,

JMHO regards loz

1 - 20 of 27 Posts