Maserati Forum banner

First Issue with Coupe--help with fueling

4K views 18 replies 7 participants last post by  driver777 
#1 ·
I've done a search and can't find a problem exactly like this one. I brought the coupe to the service station today to get my first tank of gas. Turned the car off and put the keys in my pocket. Opened the glove compartment and pushed the "F" button just like it says in the manual. All I get is a knocking sound where the cap is. The flap doesn't open. Is there something I'm not doing right? It's Sunday and the dealership is closed so I can't call them.:confused:

Thanks for the help!

#2 ·
Page 70 of my manual also mentions Feule Tank Flamer Emergency Opening. It says to open the truck, and pull the cable "C" located in the right hand side of the luggage compartment and has a drawing of a cable to the left of the compartment where the battery is stored. I opened it and pulled on the cable as instructed. Nothing. I've pulled it hard. . .Nothing. The fuel tank flap won't open. Is this something I've got to send back to the dealer to get fixed?

#4 ·
Rusty,

Sometimes that little "emergency" red string gets caught around something and won't allow it to release the gas door. I found that its much easier to take the cover off (the cover for battery access) and look up towards the filler cap, you should be able to see the red string running up to it. Reach in with your hand to make sure its not fouled around a piece of metal and give it a tug. It should pop right open.

#6 ·
I had this but with repeated pushing of button it seems to have cleared. It may be that the solenoid to open the gas door has failed or isn't lined up properly enough to open the door.

#9 ·
I just went out and tried mine. I didn't realize how much force you have to put on the little red string to get it to unlock the gas door.

Here is what I did. I took off the battery cover and reached up as far as I could on the red string and wrapped it around my fingers. Then pulled as hard as I could. It does release the fuel flap, but as I said, I was surprised at how much effort it did take!

#11 ·
Well. . .That didn't work. Pulled real hard on the red cord. Broke. I'm so pissed off right now I can barely think. It's almost like some jackleg at the dealership jammed the damn thing shut.

I'm going to go cool off for a while and call the dealership tomorrow.

This is weak!!!!!!!!

#12 ·
I'm guessing the same thing happened to mine at one time, because my string was broke when I bought my car. But, I can still use it if I have too.

When you press the gas cap release button in the glove box, do you hear any sounds from that gas cap at all? If there is no sound, it could be a blown fuse, relay....

A quick check of the owners manual shows that both the relay and fuse for the gas flap are in the trunk. Its the fuse block right over the battery.

It looks like its a "green" colored 30A micro fuse.

It could be the relay too. Attached photo shows where they are located. You might switch the trunk and fuel flap relay's to see if that is the cause.

Attachments

#14 ·
Man, that really blows. Let us know what the dealer discovers! It sure has me puzzled.

#15 ·
The gas cap on my 2003 Coupe CC did exactly what yours did, Rusty. Opened about 1 out of 20 clicks. It was jammed somehow, and the dealer fixed it in about 2 minutes, and it hasn't done it again. I suggest a quick trip to the dealer.

You might also want to CAREFULLY try to pry the fuel filler door open after pressing the button and releasing the catch. Maybe with something like a rubber spatula that won't scratch/dent the metal or paint.

#17 ·
Guys, thanks for all the help. I emailed Masrati of Long Island last night and had two calls before I got into my office this morning. Both Jim (service) and Tom Roach (Gen. Manager) were extremely helpful and I'm rather impressed with their after the sale service. My call was transferred to one of the service techs, who told me that it's a piece of rubber that sets the proper seat of the flap, and that it's possible that it's worn. He suggested using a piece of adhesive tape to set the flap so that it sealed "flush" with the bodywork and not about 1/8 inside like it was doing. He also suggested the same credit card trick as Mark from M of M.

Thanks for the help, and when I get a chance to get it to a shop, I'll ask them to permanently fix it.

Oh, by the way. . .I was able to gas the car up. I got a piece of metal and wrapped some paper napkins around it and pryed the flap open while pulling on the emergency release cord. It worked for about 4 or 5 more times (just making sure it was going to) before getting stuck again. So, at least I can fuel my car until I get it to a shop in Houston (3 hours away) to get it permanently fixed.

Thanks again for the help and advice! :cool: :cool: :cool:

#18 ·
Great news Rusty!! Glad it is all working out for you!

I also have a FANTASTIC dealer up here in Washington (Ferrari & Maserati of Seattle). When I had a fuel leak on my car about 1 month after I bought it last November, they bent over backwards to make things right!

Now, if I could just get that kind of service on my older Lamborghini!! hahahaha... I've been waiting for this place in Arizona to rebuild my emergency brake cable for the Jalpa since February! :mad:

I finally gave up and ordered one from the factory in Italy. It should be here by the first of next week.

#19 ·
Posting this on two threads because it was much weeping and gnashing of teeth until fixed.

Had same issue - fuel door would not release. Tried red string behind battery, which also did not work. Used credit card to apply pressure gently prying upward on left side of fuel door while someone else pressed release button and it worked.

I then slightly bend the thin metal clip (which applies pressure to hold fuel door) inward a bit so it wasn't quite so tight - fuel door works fine now.

Hope this helps some future future fuel door issues!
Cheers,
-JD

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.