Maserati Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I picked my GS up from Universal Autosport, where I had the following FD mods made: Install Anti-Sway Bars and Install Sport De-Cat Pipes. I've only driven home from UA (30 miles, rainy day on the highway) and made a few laps of a very twisty 4 mile route near my house.

Initial observations:
- The Anti-Sway Bars, like the springs and DBW, change the car. The car now steers (let's see if I can explain this adequately) from the back. The balance of the car is changed, very little effort is required to steer the car. I frequently drive in narrow twisty back roads, where (only today) I noticed that steering WAS labored and under pressure. It now feels that the front of the car is a few hundred pounds lighter.

- The Sport De-Cats have resulted in a few changes: Exhaust absolutely 'feels' to flow more throught the system. The low 'gurgling' at let-up of accelerator or downshifting is gone, replaced with an occassional, higher-pitched gurgle. Overall, the deeper rumble is lessened , and there's a bit more of a Ferrari-like high pitch. On these last points I'm not sure it's an improvement as I like the rumble. Interesting, I spoke with Jeff and he says that the ECU will make adjustments over the initial days, so I expect sound and performance to settle in to.....something.

On a parallel note, I sent the DBW back to Jeff to reprogram. So, right now I don't have it and am not happy. Maserati never should have shipped the car in stock mode!

I'll provide some more updates to this as I drive the car over the next few days.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Why are you having the DBW reprogrammed?

·
Registered
455 Posts
So what are your impressions of the spring modification. I drive twisty roads as well as I live in a canyon. Whats your take on the difference in ride quality vs. performance gain.

I drive with another other passenger, usually on weeknights, out to dinner, etc. I like the idea of stiffening up the suspension but am curious as to the long term, daily driving thoughts of this mod. Have you taken the car on a long road trip? Is there a more notable difference between normal and sport mode with the springs? I dont find that big of a difference at all between the two now and generally just keep it in sport unless I'm on one of LA's many unkept streets.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Why are you having the DBW reprogrammed?
Last year I originally ordered the DBW with the lesser of the 2 aggressive modes, plus wife mode. My wife doesn't drive the car, so I don't need a redline setting at 4k (she doesn't understand the concept of shifting). I have driven a friend's 2002 Coupe with the aggressive mode, and I was just foolish for not getting that in the first place.

So what are your impressions of the spring modification. I drive twisty roads as well as I live in a canyon. Whats your take on the difference in ride quality vs. performance gain.

I drive with another other passenger, usually on weeknights, out to dinner, etc. I like the idea of stiffening up the suspension but am curious as to the long term, daily driving thoughts of this mod. Have you taken the car on a long road trip? Is there a more notable difference between normal and sport mode with the springs? I dont find that big of a difference at all between the two now and generally just keep it in sport unless I'm on one of LA's many unkept streets.
The spring mod was required for my purposes. We live in a wooded area, and the worst thing would be to come up against a jogger with very little reaction time, and the front of the car aloft. Plus, I like precision, and the car was too sloppy before the springs.

I've taken the car on a couple of 200+ mile trips with my wife, and will just take the car out of Sport when at cruising speed. So with the springs in/out of Sport there's definitely a difference, enough to keep a passenger from getting agitated.

I should also mention that my tires were filled with Nitrogen today and I believe that I have a better ride over some of the rougher NY roads. Thanks to Maseratigts for suggesting this.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
I should also mention that my tires were filled with Nitrogen today and I believe that I have a better ride over some of the rougher NY roads. Thanks to Maseratigts for suggesting this.
I asked about Nitrogen the last time I was in the local tire shop and the owner told me they no longer use it because of problems with some compounds degenerating. I didn't ask if this was all tires or just a few of the ones he sold. Anyone else hear of this?

·
5,887 Posts
I should also mention that my tires were filled with Nitrogen today and I believe that I have a better ride over some of the rougher NY roads.
Just your imagination. Nitrogen just offers a more consistent pressure through extreme weather changes or track use. It won't change your ride or how the car handles. I use Nitrogen in my tires too although I'm not sure why. Air is 78% Nitrogen anyway :)

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
bluyork, what's your exhaust setup now, de-cats + OEM GS mufflers?

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Nitrogen doesn't absorb either as well either and should make the tires last longer. Apparently Ferrari quit using Nitrogen in their tires for F1 and now use C02.. I don't know why but I found that interesting!

Just your imagination. Nitrogen just offers a more consistent pressure through extreme weather changes or track use. It won't change your ride or how the car handles. I use Nitrogen in my tires too although I'm not sure why. Air is 78% Nitrogen anyway :)

·
Registered
225 Posts
Why not use helium?

That way any leaks would sound really funny. :banana_1:

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Have always been accused of being too imaginative!

bluyork, what's your exhaust setup now, de-cats + OEM GS mufflers?
Yes.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I use it to fill aircraft tires every day. Must be at least 98.6% Nitrogen. Stops the tire from expanding and contracting due to the heat levels under takeoff, landing, and brake use. I mean come on, when you have 6 brake discs per wheel, and 3000psi behind your brake system, we are talking some serious heat. Especially coming down from 200+. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Last year I originally ordered the DBW with the lesser of the 2 aggressive modes, plus wife mode. My wife doesn't drive the car, so I don't need a redline setting at 4k (she doesn't understand the concept of shifting). I have driven a friend's 2002 Coupe with the aggressive mode, and I was just foolish for not getting that in the first place.

The spring mod was required for my purposes. We live in a wooded area, and the worst thing would be to come up against a jogger with very little reaction time, and the front of the car aloft. Plus, I like precision, and the car was too sloppy before the springs.

I've taken the car on a couple of 200+ mile trips with my wife, and will just take the car out of Sport when at cruising speed. So with the springs in/out of Sport there's definitely a difference, enough to keep a passenger from getting agitated.

Anytime, Brother. I do believe it stabilizes the tires greatly, for consistent performance day in and day out. As travis said, you can't directly attribute to nitrogen improving the handling, but I think he is wrong. If the nitrogen keeps the tires running under consistent pressures, it definitely has to keep your handling consistent, as the tires provide the only contact patch to the ground which relates directly to handling. So there, the Nitrogen in effect is improving the otherwise inconsistent handling that regular "air" provides. And 100% Nitrogen is still 100% Nitrogen, not 78% -

1 - 13 of 13 Posts