Maserati Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was a passenger in a GT yesterday for about an hour and came away very impressed and wondered how I could swing an upgrade past the wife without loosing the use of my legs! What struck me most was how well resolved it was as a package, it really is the perfect GT car, as the name implies.

I simply do not understand how all the magazine reviews have been so lacklustre, they say it is not quick enough, not sporty enough has lost some of the Maserati soul - rubbish! It does exactly what it says on the lid, its a GT and does it very well. It is not a 911 (neither was the Coupe, although the Gransport was more of a 911 rival) but as a car to use on a regular basis is a much better proposition than a 911 or junior Aston. It is also plenty fast, there being very little if any noticeable difference between the GT and my '03 Coupe in terms of outright speed. What is noticeable is how much better the car rides than my '03, even in sport mode it never crashes over poor road surfaces whereas my '03 is less than composed in such situations.

My only slight reservation is the autobox, but even that seemed to respond well to the use of the paddles with quick and seemless up and downshifts, I just prefer a stick shift although I could see myself getting used to it.

The other striking thing about the car is that it feels much bigger than the Coupe, although this is no doubt due to the fact that the engine is a true front mid engine, with almost the entire engine being behind the front axel line which in turn has meant everything has been pushed back. As a result whilst the cabin is no doubt bigger, especially in the rear, I did not feel it was that much bigger and I would have liked to see a slightly larger boot to go with its role as a GT, but guess my wife will still need to pack light, you don't need more than a thong and a pair of heels in the South of France in any event so no worries there!!

Came away feeling that once again Maserati have created a unique car at the price level, you really could use it every day or for an early morning weekend thrash, both are within its ability. For those who were doubting whether Maserati had sold out (as was I), don't write it off until you have tried it as I think you will be very pleasantly surprised. Can't wait for the "S" to arrive!

Cheers

Carl

·
Registered
191 Posts
Carl.... right on point, in my humble opinion

If i could write as well i would have said all of that...

It has always been my opinion that the GT is not trying to be ANY of the other cars but rather fill a different niche..... (half man half wolf)

In the context of a "grand touring" car... it is right on the mark... If one wants a more sporty , faster car... this may not be it, maybe the GTS or maybe the previous Masers ...?

Ciao

·
Registered
56 Posts
The Granturismo features are the selling points of the MGT!
Tell me one car which has as a two door this much space for four adults and is sporty including this beautiful lines ....no way!

Colossus, I am 100% with you. Although I love my GT, I will be looking forward to test the GTS

·
Registered
74 Posts
I had the opportunity to drive a GT for about an hour.
I agree 100% with Colossus. This car is a superb GT and can really move.
I have a F1 430 that I drive hard. I feel I can state, without a doubt,
this car is not a slug, it's the real deal.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I had the opportunity to drive a GT for about an hour.
I agree 100% with Colossus. This car is a superb GT and can really move.
I have a F1 430 that I drive hard. I feel I can state, without a doubt,
this car is not a slug, it's the real deal.

T-3 days!!!
I put in an order for a blu oceano GT that's coming out in September - an excruiciatingly painful waiting period of six months. However, I got a call from my dealer last week saying that one of his customers gave back his nero carbonio GT after taking one 500 mile trip down to the south side of Korea. His customer is a 65 year old who previously drove a BMW 750 and wanted something sportier and faster. After that 1 trip down south with the GT, he parked it, put the cover on the car and let in sit in his garage for a week before calling the dealer to sell it for him. His reason? "Car is just TOO fast, such that his whole body tenses up when he's driving it. The GT causes him physical and mental anxiety". I asked to test drive it (first person to ever test drive a GT in Korea)... although I was only allowed to take a turn around the city street in front of the dealership. Needless to say, I fell in love with the car and decided right then and there that I cannot wait 6 months for my blu GT to come out. I did a thorough inspection of the car... but there wasn't much to inspect. A thin layer of dust on the engine and the exterior... that's about it. The car's ignition has only been turned on around 10 times TOTAL! I'm getting the transfer papers today in 2 hours and driving the car out of the dealership in 3 days once I get back from my business trip (which incidentally is to the city that the previous owner took the GT).
Funny thing... I picked the GT because it was a fast, sporty, beautiful car that isn't too flashy. But on my 5 minute mini-test drive, EVERYONE was staring at the car (don't know if people were staring while I was driving since I was too zoned in on testing out the F1 shifting.

FINALLY, my wait is over!!!
Oh.. and I'm getting it for 20% off the new car value. hehe

·
Registered
65 Posts
T-3 days!!!
I put in an order for a blu oceano GT that's coming out in September - an excruiciatingly painful waiting period of six months. However, I got a call from my dealer last week saying that one of his customers gave back his nero carbonio GT after taking one 500 mile trip down to the south side of Korea. His customer is a 65 year old who previously drove a BMW 750 and wanted something sportier and faster. After that 1 trip down south with the GT, he parked it, put the cover on the car and let in sit in his garage for a week before calling the dealer to sell it for him. His reason? "Car is just TOO fast, such that his whole body tenses up when he's driving it. The GT causes him physical and mental anxiety". I asked to test drive it (first person to ever test drive a GT in Korea)... although I was only allowed to take a turn around the city street in front of the dealership. Needless to say, I fell in love with the car and decided right then and there that I cannot wait 6 months for my blu GT to come out. I did a thorough inspection of the car... but there wasn't much to inspect. A thin layer of dust on the engine and the exterior... that's about it. The car's ignition has only been turned on around 10 times TOTAL! I'm getting the transfer papers today in 2 hours and driving the car out of the dealership in 3 days once I get back from my business trip (which incidentally is to the city that the previous owner took the GT).
Funny thing... I picked the GT because it was a fast, sporty, beautiful car that isn't too flashy. But on my 5 minute mini-test drive, EVERYONE was staring at the car (don't know if people were staring while I was driving since I was too zoned in on testing out the F1 shifting.

FINALLY, my wait is over!!!
Oh.. and I'm getting it for 20% off the new car value. hehe

You lucky guy to come into this great deal, I love the reason "Car is just TOO fast, such that his whole body tenses up when he's driving it. The GT causes him physical and mental anxiety". If that dealer is smart should sell that gentleman a QP and make another business. :D

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
To put that into perspective for the U.S. folks, 20% off is still US$ 200,000 when you buy a GT in Korea.
Congrats GTkorea, sounds like you are the luckiest man in Korea and have got a great deal, for Korea! I have to admit to being very fond of the Nero Carbonio colour on the GT so please post pics as soon as possible!

Best

Carl

·
Registered
181 Posts
Wow, I can't believe Korea is worst than Hong Kong .... that is about the price of a new one.
Interesting... I had thought that Hong Kong was more expensive in general for foreign cars. In Korea, the govt kills you with a high import tax and then the dealer will eat another 10~20% margin, resulting in sticker prices double that of U.S. sticker prices. On top of that, you have to pay acquisition taxes and other miscellaneous fees which total 10% additional of the car value. Brand new GT costs US$ 220K sticker price, $240K including all taxes.

Also a fully loaded Benz S600 costs $280K.
Even a fully loaded Lexus LS460L costs $190K.
Ridiculous, I know.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Congrats GTkorea, sounds like you are the luckiest man in Korea and have got a great deal, for Korea! I have to admit to being very fond of the Nero Carbonio colour on the GT so please post pics as soon as possible!

Best

Carl
I had a personal dilemma on nero carbonio vs. blu oceano a few months back before I put in my original order. Wife said blu or no go. After checking out more pictures of blu and seeing the QP in blu oceano, I felt blu looked nicer and more "unique", especially since my other two cars are black. But once I saw the nero GT with red callipers... it looked SWEET. The U.S. and Korean models have a charcoal headlight bezel (instead of reflective bezels for the European models), which makes the nero GT look real mean. Nero GT looks like the cool rebellious badass that everyone is scared of, while the blu oceano looks like the refined snob that people stop to stare at.

Anyways....... the pictures of the Nero may never come. After meeting with the previous owner's agent and his lease guy, I'm close to cancelling my order. The lease terms are ridiculous because the previous owner has really bad credit (wealthy older gentleman with a lot of real estate but a lot of debt as well). Basically, if I take over his lease my discount is cut in half from the additional interest liability I assume. I asked him to break the contract so I can buy in cash, but from lease company's point of view.. why would they break such a sweet contract? They say the breakage fee is 10% ($25K).

At the end of the day, I am not going to buy this car with so much extra baggage (and it ain't the 5-piece custom fit Ferragamo luggage set). I told them to cut it or I'm going to cancel. Either some idiot rich guy that doesn't know how to see through a crappy lease contract buys this car -or- the owner comes back to me with a bigger discount to cover the additional interest if there are no takers. Unfortunately, the likelihood of the former vs. the latter is much greater.

Looks like I may have to wait 6 months after all.
Morning started great... the evening sux.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Sorry to know this, but anyway it's not going to be a good deal. Just checked with the site of the local dealer here in Hong Kong, they posted that one Sep 2007 QP Automatic was sold for $1.53 million (that's quite closed to US$200,000), that's slightly below the original price. Even it had only 2,000 Km with it, and it might be fully loaded with options, I still think it's not attractive at all. Anyway, hope to hear good news from your side:rolleyes:

·
Registered
181 Posts
FINALLY GOT THE CAR ON SATURDAY!!!
I cancelled on the deal (in the thread above) but the guy came back to me saying that other potential buyers are taking too long to decide and asked if I can pull the trigger quickly. I cut off another 10 grand and bought it. Car is exactly what I envisioned. Pure joy.
I'll post up pictures soon.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts