Maserati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hmm... After being spared electric gremlins for most of my 9 years owning the QP, I am starting to experience them..

So the car was behaving normally as a daily driver, until yesterday, when suddenly after starting the driver's seat wouldn't move (RHD). Seat ventilation/heating worked fine and the self-adaptive/massage functions worked too. But lumbar support didn't appear to adjust. I drove it for a couple of very short trips and parked it overnight. Today, the battery has gone completely flat - couldn't enter the car, alarm went off because I couldn't deactivate the alarm with the remote, and the key almost got stuck in the barrel because I am guess without some electricity it doesn't "disengage". And of course, I can't get into the trunk because I have no juice. So time to charge it up via the OBD access panel like I did last time before trying again.

So the question is... what would cause the driver's seat to not respond and then kill the battery within 24hrs?

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
I, too, suspect it is not coincidental. My clock reset twice within a month of a battery failure (only 3.5 years old, and on a maintainer). I was told that when the battery is not putting out adequate voltage, sensitive electroncs tend to freak out. No other advance warnings were given by the failed battery. I used to flip my batteries after 5 years, but now I do 4 years. I had a factory, maintenance-free battery explode after 4.5 years, but I suspect the maintainer failed and overcharged the battery.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The battery is only 2.5 years old. A knowledge battery tech checked it when it went flat two months ago and said it was still holding 90% of the original capacity and he did say that the reason it went flat that time was there must be a parasitic drain.... this would be a nightmare to try to hunt down... a randomly discharging battery....

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have noticed that my car has weird electrical gremlins if I don't drive it enough. When I have the electrical gremlins, they go away if I drive the car. Sometimes I will drive a couple of miles, and then restart the car, and everything works again as it should.

I see that Ferrari owners in general see this same occurrence. The cars that are never driven never work. The cars that are driven, including daily drivers, are reliable. This includes brake problems, shock problems, electrical problems, rattles, and so on.

A friend who owned Ferraris as daily drivers for his entire life claimed he had never been let down or stranded by any of his Ferraris, but had been stranded by his Mercedes, Audi, etc.

I second the suggestion made earlier, that the low battery voltage (which leads to battery failure) is probably why the seats did not work just before the battery died. The gremlins I see are diverse: A/C not working, various weird idiot lights and messages, emergency parking brake not releasing, etc. Not repeatable, seemingly different every time. But once I drive the car, no problem, no repeat.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, battery load test after recharge was fine.

The battery recharged to 813CCA (max 850CCA). This isn't too bad for a 2.5 yo battery.

The same thing happened again after a few days... fully charged battery, daily driven, initially seat moving ok, then it stopped moving, and parked overnight to wake up to a completely dead battery...

I think I found the problem!! The seat memory button 1 is permanently stuck on depressed. It must be activating the seat somehow causing the battery to drain overnight....

Can the button be popped out somehow or do I need to replace the whole section? Would anyone recommend WD40 to try to "loosen it" or would that stuff up the electrical contacts?

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just to bring this issue to a close, I was able to just wriggle the button loose for it to pop back out. I think some water or alcohol wipe ought to clean it up to prevent it from sticking. It's the same sticky rubbery material on the dash board buttons. Anyway, I haven't had any more unexpected battery drains. So this was the cause of my dead battery incidents. A stuck seat memory button - who would've thought? Taking this to a dealer would've resulted in a new battery, a new alternator, and eventually new seat switches... $$$

Reactions: Catmanv2
1 - 8 of 8 Posts