Maserati Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just how sporty can we make a Grand Tourer? Well keep hanging on because I just installed a fire extinguisher under the passenger seat

Vehicle Car Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

…everything is from H3R Performance.. quite pricey stuff but quality is great and allows for more fine tuning versus the universal brackets. Still doing some adjusting but shouldn’t interfere too much with passenger foot space as I mounted quite low. Install was easy but tedious; Unscrew front seat bolts and slide brackets on … what do you think?
Shoe White Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive exterior

Automotive lighting Road surface Asphalt Automotive tire Automotive design

Automotive tire Sleeve Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive wheel system

Automotive tire Bicycle fork Bicycle part Rim Spoke

Car Vehicle Hood Light Automotive tire

·
Premium Member
2013 GTS Coupe
3,545 Posts
If you have a smoking hot spouse or significant other sitting in that passenger seat , that extinguisher may come in handy ! ;):cool:

·
Registered
2016 GranTurismo Sport Rosso Mondiale
1,109 Posts
Well I might need it....
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Plant
Forehead Nose Cheek Lip Eyebrow
Forehead Nose Cheek Lip Eyebrow

·
Registered
2009 GranTurismo S
133 Posts
Looks nice but knowing the company I bet they are proud of it. I was thinking the other day I do need to do something to at least have one around just in case of Italian Car-B-Q ever happens. I had an H3R bottle in my 308 which was probably much more likely than a GT to spontaneously combust. :) I think just let it go with the car though.

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep maybe a tad silly but hope I never have to use this one… I guess one can make the case to have one versus not have one. I also believe the mantra “If it burns for more than 30 seconds, just let it burn.” - In regards to automobile fires.

That being said I have used a car located fire extinguisher twice , both for non car related incidents. I had one previously in the rear of my Jeep. One was for a small prairie grass fire that started from a burn pit that got out of hand , the other a grill fire from an overflowing grease tray. The car was closer than running to the house in both cases.

·
Premium Member
2013 GTS Coupe
3,545 Posts
Yeah, it’s a bit much ( IMO ), the risk of a fire in our cars seems to be extremely low, even if you race / track it often. I guess nothing is impossible but I’d say it’s as highly improbable as it gets . If you drove a Tesla however, I’d install four of those extinguishers, under each seat ! :sneaky:
But as you said, it may come in handy for other fire suppression opportunities if you happen to be in the right place at the right time . Or wrong place at the right time, rather ..

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, it’s a bit much ( IMO ), the risk of a fire in our cars seems to be extremely low, even if you race / track it often. I guess nothing is impossible but I’d say it’s as highly improbable as it gets . If you drove a Tesla however, I’d install four of those extinguishers, under each seat ! :sneaky:
But as you said, it may come in handy for other fire suppression opportunities if you happen to be in the right place at the right time . Or wrong place at the right time, rather ..
I didn’t know that about the Tesla’s, I figured they were really good the way people gravitate towards them lol. And i must admit in part this extinguisher came about after admiring them in 360CS/ 430 Scud’s.

·
Premium Member
2013 GTS Coupe
3,545 Posts
Yup, spontaneous self-combustion in Teslas has made the news in half a dozen incidents ( several of them were parked at the time and not even being charged, a couple others caught on fire immediately on accidents‘ impact ). I realize that six or so cars is a small sample ( that we’ve heard about , could be more occurrences out there which have not received publicity ) but I for one, would still not want to be next in that small segment statistic.
A couple of other e-car manufacturers launched massive recalls due to the fire risk associated with those batteries .. so better safe than sorry and keep an extinguisher in there in case you happen to be in the car at the time it may decide to engulf itself ( and you ) in flames ..

·
Registered
2009 GranTurismo S
133 Posts
Not sure one of these fire extinguishers would do much for a battery fire. Maybe they should all have onboard suppression systems. :)

I generally keep extinguishers in all my cars and around the house. Never have needed one yet but I'd rather have it and not need it.

I do like the "let it burn" idea though. More than 30 seconds and a small bottle probably ain't gonna do much anyway, right?!

·
Super Moderator
4,978 Posts
he risk of a fire in our cars seems to be extremely low
The 4200 had something of a habit of setting fire to dry grass after a spirited drive......

C

1 - 10 of 10 Posts