Maserati Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looked at three '04 Coupes yesterday at Maserati Beverly Hills, but I've decided (75%) to go the Spyder route. At any rate, Nathan told me they don't like to have more than 3 or so used in inventory at a time. Do you think Spyders hold value a little better than Coupes, do owners tend to keep Spyders or is the production number of Spyders in the US a lot lower than Coupes?

Also, should I be nervous about buying a used Maserati from a high-end, but non-Maser dealer? I've noticed a few '04s with less than 4K miles at non-Maser dealers. Would these be trades, auction vehicles or what? And then if it's a trade, I get a bit nervous as to why someone would trade in a virtually new car? In addition, would all the test drives be driven by uninformed salespeople who relish the idea of racing around, thereby not giving the engine a proper "break-in" period?

Anyway, thank you all for your patience with me & advice. My game plan is to buy an '03 or '04, keep it for a couple of years to learn what I like & want, and then buy a new one! Yea!!!

·
Registered
390 Posts
I bought mine from a Cadillac dealer in North Carolina. It was a trade on an XLR. Found out later that the dude that owned it died. He passed it onto his kids and they traded it on the XLR. Oops. Other dealers I talked to said people traded in cambios because they thought it was an "automatic" transmission.

There are tons of low-mileage garage queens out there that have lost nearly half their value, that seems like the smartest route. 2-4k miles is nothing, even on these cars, and you can do a lot with $30,000.

If you're going to buy locally stay away from F/M BH. Their service department is awful. They routinely quote me a 6 week wait for a service appointment. Forget it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've been wondering about buying from out of state. Did you fly out to inspect/buy and then have it trucked out here? Any warnings or must-do advice when buying from out of state? Were you concerned about rust?

Thanks for the 411 on BH... that's good to know! Appreciate your help, Squid!

·
Registered
835 Posts
i too have problem with FMBH. and awful is almost the right word but an understatement. the last jd power servey i did, i gave them all 1's and their service director called and apologized but what more could he do. it's the service rep and mechanics there that screwed up. just stay away from FMBH and FM Pasadena. also, the reason why car my is now blue instead of yellow is because they screwed up my order and I end up canceling it with maserati (the corporate office in NJ)... long story.

unless the price is exceptionally attractive the benifit from getting it out-of-state is minimal.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Laurie said:
I've been wondering about buying from out of state. Did you fly out to inspect/buy and then have it trucked out here? Any warnings or must-do advice when buying from out of state? Were you concerned about rust?

Thanks for the 411 on BH... that's good to know! Appreciate your help, Squid!
Got it inspected locally, they assured me it was in good shape (only cost like 75 bucks), then flew out and eyeballed it. Took a redeye out there, flew back that afternoon so only one day wasted. Tax had to be paid in CA when I registered it, came out to be around $4k. Still it was cheaper and it was exactly what I wanted so it came out as ideal. I think you don't have to pay tax if you buy used within the state, but I couldn't find one I wanted.

BH Ferrari has no incentive to change because their showroom is bloody packed every weekend with the poseurs trying to buy their way into Ferraris. They have more customers than they know what to do with.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I have bought 3 Cars (2 Ferraris, 1 Jaguar) out of state, personal site unseen.

I have had reputable 3rd party check them out.

Example:
I bought a car from Ferrari of Boston and had a FerrariList.com member check out the car in person. Then I had it sent to Boston Sports Car for a thorough lookover. After all checked out I agreed to buy the car and put down a deposit. Flew to Boston, checked it out myself, paid in full drove back to DC.

Hope it helps.

-dsd

·
Registered
681 Posts
My Spyder is for sale at Ferrari/Maserati of Central Florida. Even if you're not interested in it they have a few more. Call John Slimen at 407-667-4300 they have 6 Spyders right now.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I bought my CC from Nathan. Had it shipped from CA to Scottsdale overnight and paid no CA tax. If you can do not drive the car off the lot because you'll be hit with a higher tax rate and will not get it back when you register it in your own state. All in all, not a bad experience, got a good price and the car was in decent shape, minus a curb rashed wheel.
BTW, don't be afraid to haggle a bit, they've got some room to play with.
Have the techs do a diagnostics on the brakes, clutch and tread wear and make sure they do the 6K service before the sale.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Make a mini vacation out of it.

My wife found our White Maserati Coupe in Chicago. Someone in Aerosmith traded it in on a Lambo. It had 1,000 miles on it. We bought it from D & M Motor Sports. Their showroom had a few Maseratis, Ferraris, Lambos and Ponzis. Their service was incredible. They sent a driver to pick us up at the airport. Everything went smooth.

I was extremely turned off by the arrogant and cocky Maserati dealers I spoke to in NY, NC and Texas. One guy said he would not pick us up at the airport because we were only going to buy a "used Maserati", which they were selling for $69,000.00. He said most of his customers fly in on their planes and have their drivers bring them in..... Total Jerk.....

After having a bunch of high res pictures sent to me as well as a current car fax, My wife and I decided to fly to Chicago and if we liked it, buy it and drive home. We loved it and spent a nice weekend in Chicago and drove it home to NJ in 14 hours.

Spending 14 hours in the coupe was just a blast. There were many long stretches of 100 mph ++ cruising....

If you are worried about problems, take it to the Maserati Service Department and ask them to check the ECU and install all updates. Then complain that the "engine is making a funny noise" or the "transmission feels like its not working right" Ask them to check it out.

Everything is covered under the warranty and they will most like run some tests to determine if anything is wrong with your car.

If you buy one with more than 6,000 miles make sure you get a service history.

CM

·
Registered
390 Posts
STARDOC said:
If you can do not drive the car off the lot because you'll be hit with a higher tax rate and will not get it back when you register it in your own state.
Used cars are not taxed in the state they're sold in, they're taxed in the state they're registered in. I paid no tax in NC.

Also get a dealer to run the VIN so you can see the service history.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Found mine through a dealer listing on eBay.

Car was at a Mercedes dealer in Denver. They didn't know a whole lot about the marque, but the car had been sold new by FM of Denver. John Yueh the Service Manager of FM of Denver has been most helpful providing full copies of maintenance records and some general enthusiast oriented eMail correspondence.

Found the car with a couple of days left on the auction and no bids yet. Placed a bid for the minimum (less than the "buy it now" price), and they closed the auction early for the initial bid.

Used a credit card for the deposit, flew into Denver two days later, did an inspection and drove the car home over the weekend just ahead of the first snowstorm of the season.

Very smooth. Paid no Colorado tax. CHad to payCalifornia tax when registering the car here. Paperwork arrived from Colorado over the weekend and will be completing the registration at the DMV tomorrow.

All in all a very satisfying experience, but I must say I'd have been much more hesitant if the other side had been a private party and not a dealer.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I'm not sure but I think it may be the opposite - more spyders than coupes in the US market. I think it has traditionally been the case that coupes sell better in Europe and convertibles sell better in the US. For example only 10% of the Jaguar XK8s sold in the US were coupes. Anyways I wouldn't assume the spyder is an especially rare car compared to the coupe.

·
Registered
835 Posts
more spyders than coupes in the US market. I think it has traditionally been the case that coupes sell better in Europe and convertibles sell better in the US
I was told overall there were more coupes made than spyders last year. In fact this person was certain that there were only 200 '05 spyders made (does not include 90th anniversary).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts