Maserati Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! So long story short, I have been agonizing over a super clean 87 biturbo Si for nigh on 6 months now and what I think my brain needs is advice/confirmation from the experts. I have seen a few people use them as daily drivers, which I know is generally a terrible idea...but I can't get the idea out of my head. I have seen a number of posts and forums talking about reliability upgrades and quality of life fixes and parts workarounds etc. But the thing is, were I to do all of that stuff, would it even stop the car from breaking down on the side of the road every other week? I work 45 hours a week and plan on going back to school so there wouldn't be a ton of time left over for tinkering with or using the car as a hobby/toy. Even then, I've never owned a Maser so I'd be learning a lot as I go. On top of that, the only shop I found that has experience working on biturbo's in my area refuses to work on them any more. They have "outlived their service intervals". If I were to buy this it would be driven every day 6 days a week 40 miles a day. Is this vehicle as a daily as stupid as I think it is? Any help to answer this question will be greatly appreciated. Thank you for bearing with me. I look forewards to your responses

·
Premium Member
989 Posts
You need to:
1. Have a dedicated place to repair your car, or have an experienced tech and money to fix it.
2. Prepare for breakdowns.

These are typical expectations of any older, mid-'80s, early '90s car. The fact that it is a Maserati manufactured during a tough time for the marque, coupled with the fact that the car already has with it a reputation of unreliability, should be all the information you need to make the right decision.

My opinion? Buy it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello all! So long story short, I have been agonizing over a super clean 87 biturbo Si for nigh on 6 months now and what I think my brain needs is advice/confirmation from the experts. I have seen a few people use them as daily drivers, which I know is generally a terrible idea...but I can't get the idea out of my head. I have seen a number of posts and forums talking about reliability upgrades and quality of life fixes and parts workarounds etc. But the thing is, were I to do all of that stuff, would it even stop the car from breaking down on the side of the road every other week? I work 45 hours a week and plan on going back to school so there wouldn't be a ton of time left over for tinkering with or using the car as a hobby/toy. Even then, I've never owned a Maser so I'd be learning a lot as I go. On top of that, the only shop I found that has experience working on biturbo's in my area refuses to work on them any more. They have "outlived their service intervals". If I were to buy this it would be driven every day 6 days a week 40 miles a day. Is this vehicle as a daily as stupid as I think it is? Any help to answer this question will be greatly appreciated. Thank you for bearing with me. I look forewards to your responses
I owned an 85 E coupe years ago and it was my daily driver. But I wasn't commuting 40 miles a day. Until the car was fully sorted out and had been given all deferred maintenance, I would not put it into service as a daily driver. The 87 Si should have eliminated much of the problem areas but it still needs to be brought up to "needs nothing" condition before the job you plan for it. However once that work was done, I'd make it my daily driver in a heart beat. I'm also on the look for one, and the 87, because of the fuel injection and the nicer interior is the one to go for. However I prefer the exterior (little differences) of the 84/85 model years. Since so few have survived, you often have to go with what you can find. Parts are not an issue...just look at ebay and then start sourcing a list of vendors. Do you have a full set of tools and what is your level of DIY? In my opinion, the trickiest work will be adjusting the valves and replacing the belts. Again, age is you biggest enemy, and how the previous owner took care of the car. What I love about the Biturbo is that, in my opinion, it harkens back to the 6 cyl. Maseratis of the 1950s. Good luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts