Maserati Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was curious because of the quality. for example the qp. after 2005 the qp recieved a full automatic and a sport and executive package. was that ferrari's idea or fiats? did fiat ruin ferrari's main intension of the qp or did this change have no affect?

·
Registered
74 Posts
i was curious because of the quality. for example the qp. after 2005 the qp recieved a full automatic and a sport and executive package. was that ferrari's idea or fiats? did fiat ruin ferrari's main intension of the qp or did this change have no affect?
Fiat, under the direction of Luca di Montezzemolo, calls all the shots. As you may recall he was head of Ferrari and now is probably the most powerful and influential person in Italy. Fiat controls Ferrari, Maserati, Alfa Romeo and Fiat autos. Ferrari will be maintained as the premier brand and Maserati will always be one tier below. Alfa will be third. Maserati will be the " Mercedes "
within Fiat and will no longer be a true sportscar, but rather a luxury GT car, which was always the place for Maserati road cars since their inception in 1947. Racing cars preceeded them by many years. I believe that Ferrari saw that marketing a lower price level sports car would not give it enough market to be profitable. Hence, we have the new Maserati plan, auto. QP and GT.
I think , even though we don't like it, it's a smart business decision. Just my $.02.

Nielsq NYC

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Can anyone remember when Fiat was actually a brand available in the US? I can because I'm an old fart (but I'm married to a young wife so that makes ma a dirty old fart; but I digress). ANYWAY, Fiats were cute but had horrible reliabilty problems. I had a 128 and an X1/9. The 128 rusted through the unibody frame and literally broke in half (while I was driving it). The X1/9 blew out 2 transaxles and rusted around the windshield (IN CALIFORNIA!!!!) Does Fiat think a Fiat North America is going to fly? Most people that can afford the new car will remeber Fiat as a cheap piece of crap and shy-away if it's somehow tied directly to the Fiat name. My $0.02

1 - 3 of 3 Posts