Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys! I really need your help! The lease on my X5 is coming up in a few weeks and I have to lease/buy another car. 5 years ago I was looking for a car and did a test-drive on a 355... needless to say I fell in love and decided to buy it. Well, then my wife's attorney served me divorce papers... and the rest you can imagine... A couple of years later I tried to buy another one, but a business opportunity came up and I spent the money in a night club... lost my money, of course! Now it's time again!

I'm looking for a car in the $60's range and I came across a 2005 Maserati Gransport for $58. It would work great for me because of the back seat (I have 3 kids)+ 2 years left on warranty, but I know I'll still think about the Ferrari every day until I buy one... like it's been for the last 5 years.

My ideal car would be a red/tan GTS with manual trans. because that way I'd reduce the odds of having problems with soft top and F1 transmission.

So, I have a PPI schedule for the Maserati tomorrow and I really need to know from you guys, how real is having a 355 as "daily driver" (every other week, when the kids are not with me)? How much more reliable/cheaper the Maseratis are?

Thank you in advance for your input!

Del.

PS- I'm going to have a Chevy Suburban as a 2nd car..

PS2- I also posted that on Ferrarichat.com, to get some feedback from the Ferrari crowd.

·
Premium Member
901 Posts
Welcome to the site. Two very different cars. The Maserati will make a better daily driver. The F355 will feel quicker and more nimble because its a smaller car.

I'd sell the Suburban and get a 4 door sedan but that's just me. You will probably also find the group at FerrariLife.com a bit more helpful too.

·
Registered
773 Posts
with kids

what men want. with kids, do you have a choice? a 355 and kids, please. if you fell for a 355, try a 550. options, yes. 456? 4port?

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bundas, I know the 456 would probably be the answer, but I don't like the way it looks, kind of like a Ford Probe... I'm hooked on the 355!

My main concern at this point is reliability, can a 355 really be a daily driver or is it going to make me broke?

·
Registered
201 Posts
An F355 in the $60's would probably be high mileage. Mine cost $59k and had 38,000 miles. I've had it for 18 months and so far it has needed the following maintenance and repairs:

Timing Belt (engine out job)..
Exhaust manifolds repaired, then replaced..
New water pump..
Clutch rebuilt..
Parking brake repaired..
CV boots rebuilt..
Windshield washer assemblies replaced..
and last but not least...a top end engine rebuild!

All these repairs have added up to over $42k!

That being said, my experience is surely atypical, and the F355 pays one back in many unexpected ways. A world of pleasures reserved for drivers of red V8 Ferraris. But be prepared because nobody really knows what generally happens to F355's when they get 40k+ miles; it seems the sample size is too small.

Using an F355 for a daily driver is like eating the richest dish at a 5-star restaurant every day of the week. As good as it is, one starts craving blander dishes after a while. Even after driving the Maserati for a few days in a row I need to come back to earth and drive my Jeep to work.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
CDF, I think you are right about driving it everyday, it might not be that good.

I understand those cars are expensive to maintain and that the 355 is always a surprise, but I've seen posts on ferrarichat.com of people who drive thiers all the time and don't have a lot of maintenance problems, they plead that most of the problems with those cars come from the fact that people don't drive them as often as they should. So, I hoped that they were right, but it seems like it's logical that the more you drive the more maintenace the car will require.

Right?

·
Registered
201 Posts
After reading a lot of tales about owning an F355, I was surprised (and jealous) when I saw the posts on F-chat you mentioned. I think those posts reflect survivorship bias: the people with positive experiences drive a lot and post advice in that forum, and those with bad experiences sell their cars and never visit the forum. As much as the Ferrari seems like a living organism, it hasn't repealed the laws of mechanics, and won't keep healing itself when you drive it. (Maybe some day Ferrari will make such a car.)

If you are considering a higher-mileage F355, all I can say is get the leak-down test (not just the compression test) done in the PPI. It's the rarely performed leak-down that better shows if the engine needs to be rebuilt. The rebuild not cheap at $15k+.

If you decide on the GS, then congratulations. The car is very fast, probably more powerful and a little lighter than the published specs. You'll see how it outraces cars it shouldn't be able to beat if it's really 395 bhp at 3800+ lbs.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks CDF! I actually found a 98 355 spyder for $71,900 (asking price), it looks perfect on the photos... but I haven't done a PPI yet. I think the price is low becuse it's Tour De France blue... But I believe that for the mileage I'm going to drive(8-10,000 miles/year), I'll spend a good $5k/year with "normal" maintenance anyway, even if nothing goes "wrong". Right?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Thanks CDF! I actually found a 98 355 spyder for $71,900 (asking price), it looks perfect on the photos... but I haven't done a PPI yet. I think the price is low becuse it's Tour De France blue... But I believe that for the mileage I'm going to drive(8-10,000 miles/year), I'll spend a good $5k/year with "normal" maintenance anyway, even if nothing goes "wrong". Right?
Men plan and God laughs, especially when it comes to budgeting F355 repairs. The rewards are great with that car, but so is the risk. You clearly desire the F355, so you should go that route, but be aware you may spend only $500 one year, but suddenly $12,000 the next year. You get the picture of how volatile the car is.

FWIW the question of F355 vs Maserati Coupe CC came up in Ferrari Life..

http://www.ferrarilife.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5111

·
Registered
4 Posts
For a daily driver, I'd go with the GranSport.

I traded the '97 F355 GTB w/ 6-speed manual w/ 25k miles for a new Maserati Cambio Coupe. If I had it to do all over again, I would have traded the 355 for the GranSport.

As others have mentioned, the 355 could (and most likely will) cost much more in maintenance per year than the Maserati if used as a daily driver. Technologically speaking, these cars are six-plus years apart with essentially different purposes. Not to mention the engine-out major services required for the 355. Oh, and be prepared to strip and repaint all the gummy interior surfaces and replace that bubbly A/C face-plate too. ;)

If you really desire to scratch the 355 itch, then you might want to purchase one and give it a try for awhile, then you could always trade for a Maserati if it isn't what you expected or doesn't fit your needs.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
"Tubi or not Tubi?"

I drove 2 Gransports yesterday, one with a Tubi exhaust and another with the factory one. Men, that Tubi is LOUD!!! But it sounds amazing! After driving the car with the Tubi, the normal exhaust sounded too quiet...

But I'm worried that it might be annoying sometimes or draw to much attention.

Has anybody moved back from the Tubi to the original exhaust?

How can I find out what kind of Tubi is that (race, mid, etc..)?

Del.

PS- As you guys can see, I think I'm going to get the Gransport, I like the car a lot! But I was a little disappointed with the power, I expected it to be a little scarier...

·
Registered
94 Posts
I've got a Tubi on my '05 CC. I get more people commenting on the sound than anything else.

Also, try turning off the MSP. That might make the car a little more scary! :D

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I drove 2 Gransports yesterday, one with a Tubi exhaust and another with the factory one. Men, that Tubi is LOUD!!! But it sounds amazing! After driving the car with the Tubi, the normal exhaust sounded too quiet...

But I'm worried that it might be annoying sometimes or draw to much attention.

Has anybody moved back from the Tubi to the original exhaust?

How can I find out what kind of Tubi is that (race, mid, etc..)?

Del.

PS- As you guys can see, I think I'm going to get the Gransport, I like the car a lot! But I was a little disappointed with the power, I expected it to be a little scarier...
The Tubi in sport mode opens a baffle in the rear boxes, which makes it loud.
As far as scary, turn off the MSP, punch it and revel in the thick white smoke as you careen off in directions unexpected. Truely better than my Viper :D

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So you are saying that the exhaust valve also works with the Tubi? Does it get quieter when not in Sport mode? I only drove it in sport...

·
Registered
793 Posts
CDF said it best.

You need loose change to own a Ferrari.

While the Maserati may have quirks, it has timing chains and not belts which do noy need a 3 year replacement.

The Ferrari experience cannot not be met by any other car, but it comes with a price especially for the 355's.

Examine your needs and be realistic about what you can afford, and then make your choice.

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
If you decide on the GS, then congratulations. The car is very fast, probably more powerful and a little lighter than the published specs. You'll see how it outraces cars it shouldn't be able to beat if it's really 395 bhp at 3800+ lbs.
FYI, the curb weight is 3704 lbs, I believe. At least a Coupe CC is, so I would think the GS would be at most the same as the Coupe.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
So you are saying that the exhaust valve also works with the Tubi? Does it get quieter when not in Sport mode? I only drove it in sport...
Tubi is factory stock on a GS so yes, the valve is integrated.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Tubi is factory stock on a GS so yes, the valve is integrated.
The one I drove had a aftermaket Tubi and not the factory installed one, does the aftermaket have the valve too?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts