Maserati Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
greetings all! Was wondering from the experts out there, what the feasibility of retrofitting the Maser spyder/coupe CC with a ZF transmission would be?

Assuming since the GT has essentially the same engine as the spyder/gs/coupe, how difficult would it be to change the CC transmission to the ZF tranny? Your thoughts are appreciated!

Cheers
Tony

·
Registered
793 Posts
greetings all! Was wondering from the experts out there, what the feasibility of retrofitting the Maser spyder/coupe CC with a ZF transmission would be?
I think that is a major move beyone the capability of the car not to mention the cost!

ZF's are on wet sump engines to fit. You have a dry sump.

A radical and not really feasible change.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Can you clarify, please? Were you referring to a ZF manual or auto tranny?
I was honestly refering to anything that would work with some adjustements of course. in this case I take the auto wouldnt work because of the dry sump engine? So what about a Manny tranny? DCT maybe?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Moose, Bad news buddy. Unless you transplant an "Automatic" engine (Blue cam covers) as well as the Zedef AT then its a no-go, or at least not a straight bolt in replacement. Having changed many CC engines and two Automatic engines in a QP, I know they are NOT THE SAME ENGINE!!. The "CC" ENGINE FOR ONE IS A DRY SUMP OIL SYSTEM and the "Auto" engine is wet sump. The bolt pattern for the bell housings are not the same either. The "CC" uses a torque tube and the "Auto" uses a standard two piece driveshaft. So the differential will also have to be swapped out. Basically the ENTIRE drivetrain will have to be replaced. Also there will be some serious rear subframe modifications. In a nutshell it is not feasible.
Sorry. You could always buy a GT instead.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Moose, The Maunal 6 speed is a better option. First you will need the gearbox shifting assembly in place of the F1 actuator, the gearboxes are physically the same externally and internally otherwise. Second you will need a new upper console for the shifter. Third, you will need a shifter assembly, the shifter, mounts and cables. Fourth, you will need a pedal assembly and slave cylinder for the clutch. I believe the clutch and release bearing can stay, but you will need to run the plumbing to the bellhousing fot the bearing.
Then you can sell your F1 parts to recoup some cash. This mod is totally possible with some patience and hard work.

·
Registered
793 Posts
I was honestly refering to anything that would work with some adjustements of course. ---
Ok now I understand.

You have a manual transmission in that car. It is controlled by hydraulic and electronics called the CC (or F1 in Ferrari parlance).

If you take all that out (hydraulics, pumps, lines, resevoirs, electronics), install a clutch pedal and the related hydraulics, install a shifting mechanism, and readjust the ECU, you are back to a full manual.

You may have to change out the PP and T/O bearing.

It can be done but probably an expensive non-value added change.

·
Registered
2006 Gransport LE
705 Posts
Moose, The Maunal 6 speed is a better option. First you will need the gearbox shifting assembly in place of the F1 actuator, the gearboxes are physically the same externally and internally otherwise. Second you will need a new upper console for the shifter. Third, you will need a shifter assembly, the shifter, mounts and cables. Fourth, you will need a pedal assembly and slave cylinder for the clutch. I believe the clutch and release bearing can stay, but you will need to run the plumbing to the bellhousing fot the bearing.
Then you can sell your F1 parts to recoup some cash. This mod is totally possible with some patience and hard work.
In other words, Kent, cheaper, easier and quicker for him to sell the CC and buy a 6 speed.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.