Maserati Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,
Loads of FD mods being installed now by Jeff....will post pics this weekend.
Springs, DBW, ECU mod.....30MM rear spacers and 15mm front. Jeff said the spacers make the stance of the Mas look amazing....
I have to say, the level of service from FD is stunning!

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Really interested in hearing about your thoughts on the spacers once you get it back.

·
Registered
744 Posts
I took receipt of the 15mm spacers front and rear from Jeff just last week. I am going to try them and see how much clearance there is on the back. If it looks like I have enough to accomodate a 275, then I may switch up to a 30mm as well.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jeff reported that the 30MM have no issues with clearance. He sent a few camera phone pics...to get a rough idea what they look like. Looks significantly different vs stock with the FD springs. More soon....

·
Registered
2006 Gransport LE
651 Posts
Jeff reported that the 30MM have no issues with clearance. He sent a few camera phone pics...to get a rough idea what they look like. Looks significantly different vs stock with the FD springs. More soon....
Did you ship the car out to him ? There's a few of us on LI so when your ready we should arrange a small gathering.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Seattle

Anyone has any info on a shop in Seattle that would install FD parts on my Maserati?
Thank you.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Subscribed.

How low are you going to lower your car? I'm very interested in seeing some pics of your car lowered with the spacers.

Cheers.

·
Vendor
4,728 Posts
Huzeti, PM Sent regarding installers.

We should be able to provide some pictures soon, weather permitting, it's getting a bit gloomy over here today.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Subscribed.

How low are you going to lower your car? I'm very interested in seeing some pics of your car lowered with the spacers.

Cheers.
X2^
Huzeti, PM Sent regarding installers.

We should be able to provide some pictures soon, weather permitting, it's getting a bit gloomy over here today.
Say it isn't so. It's Vegas for cryin' out loud!! :D

·
Registered
744 Posts
Let us know how it works and I will do the same. My tech and I looked at it and decided to err on the safe side given that the wider tires will take up more room but we could be mistaken. I am more interested in performance than looks - I am not sure which size actually performs better.

·
Registered
150 Posts
GS-05: FD provides great service and parts. I too have got 15mm spacers, but dont like the bolts! Too long a thread area and with small heads 17mm top in place of 22mm original. Am I the only one not so happy with this? Also, from talking to some knowlagble car-nuts, they worn me about torsion forces from this farther-a-way placed centerline (wheel location). Any consern to the transmission etc.? Of course, we all understand the increased stress on the wheel bearings.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Interesting. Jeff did mention that the heads were smaller but assured me that the design was sound. A 20% decrease sounds like a lot though. I track my car and regularly run 165MPH+ so I want to make sure that these are 100% soild.

Jeff: Could you please give us a bit of a technical explanation re: the design basis and a resonse to maseratikai's concerns? Thanks.

·
Vendor
4,728 Posts
The head of the lug bolt is for torqueing the bolt down. 17mm is more than adequete for this task, most other manufacturers use the same size head. Maserati chose to have huge oversized lug bolts.

From a performance standpoint, the main reason for choosing this 17mm head size is to reduce rotating mass. Those factory bolts weigh quite a bit. The more spinning wheel weight you have the harder your brakes and engine need to work.

No impact on the transmission. There is an impact on wheel bearings just as any other car. The Maserati bearings however have faired quite well against our wheels which are +25mm wider than stock and have been installed for several years with no problems. I'm quite sure many others have wider wheels as well.

We've been testing these bolts for just over 8 months without any issues and we do inspect them regularly.

In response to Kai's recent inquiry: I've been looking at having bolts made which are identical to the factory bolts, but extended to fit the kit. Keep in mind as well that the factory bolts run $30-$40 / pc. To have a custom made run of these will not be cheap.

With that said, many owners want chromed bolts or replacment for the stock bolts when they rust. So we may end up producing identical replicas and extended replicas. This will depend on the final production costs. As of now we have lighter (smaller head) bolts to replace the factory size and extended sizes to fit the spacer kits for the 4200 and QP. GranTurismo will be next.

Best Regards,
-- Jeff

·
Registered
439 Posts
The head of the lug bolt is for torqueing the bolt down. 17mm is more than adequete for this task, most other manufacturers use the same size head. Maserati chose to have huge oversized lug bolts.

From a performance standpoint, the main reason for choosing this 17mm head size is to reduce spinning mass. Those factory bolts weigh quite a bit. The more spinning wheel weight you have the harder your brakes and engine need to work.

No impact on the transmission. There is an impact on wheel bearings just as any other car. The Maserati bearings however have faired quite well against our wheels which are +25mm wider than stock and have been installed for several years with no problems. I'm quite sure many others have wider wheels as well.

We've been testing these bolts for just over 8 months without any issues and we do inspect them regularly.

In response to Kai's inquiry, I've been looking at having bolts made which are identical to the factory bolts, but extended. Keep in mind as well that the factory bolts run $30-$40 / pc and to have a custom made run of these will not be cheap.

With that said, many owners want chromed bolts or replacment for the stock bolts when they rust. So we may end up producing identical replicas and extended replicas. This will depend on the final production costs.

Best Regards,
-- Jeff
Jeff, I am looking to get some aftermarket wheels done for my recently acquired GS. Can you tell me what is the best size rim and tires to go with?

Having asked that, this is the goal in mind:

I want the widest size rubber I can put in the rear, but need to know what fitment and offsets are needed to achieve this.
I am told that 245/35 Fr. and 285/30 Rr. is fine on even the oem wheel sizes. As well, I want to get the wheels out as far as possible (flush, or close to wheel fenders) w/o using spacers.
And is there any advantage/disadvantage to going with 20" wheels?
I do not intend to track the car at all.

Having said that, I will be calling you soon for springs and filter...... to start. :D

·
Vendor
4,728 Posts
Sure, just give me a call or email when you have some time and we'll go over the details to get you the result you're looking for.

Best Regards,
-- Jeff

·
Registered
744 Posts
I am told that 245/35 Fr. and 285/30 Rr. is fine on even the oem wheel sizes. As well, I want to get the wheels out as far as possible (flush, or close to wheel wells) w/o using spacers.
And is there any advantage/disadvantage to going with 20" wheels?
I do not intend to track the car at all.

:D
The widest size on the OEM rims that I could find using manufcturers' sizing charts is 245/40 and 275/35 (that still maintain proper OD).

The advantage to 20s is appearance. The very large diameter wheel trend is a style thing and has nothing to do with functionality.

There is no performance advantage to anything larger than an 18" wheel as far as I have been able to determine and in fact there are a whole bunch of disadvantages. Generally, larger wheels allow use of a lower profile tire that has a stiffer sidewall and hence has better steering response. This advantage is counterbalanced by a rougher ride, more weight and higher risk of rim damage plus higher tire replacement cost as the size goes up.

The OEM wheels with 40F/35R series tires offer a stiff sidewall and afford some rim protection. Going with something larger means an even lower profile tire to maintain proper diameter. Larger wheels are heavier and put more weight farther from the centerline (due to higher weight of larger tires) meaning more unsprung weight overall and more inertia to overcome. Every pound of weight out on the wheels is roughly equivalent to 5 pounds on the chassis.

Adding larger wheels therefore slows steering response, degrades ride quality, and decreases performance. Most production based race cars use 17 or 18" wheels and it is no coincidence that the Maserati Tofeo and GT Course both also use 18's.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Sure, just give me a call or email when you have some time and we'll go over the details to get you the result you're looking for.

Best Regards,
-- Jeff
Thanks, will do.
The widest size on the OEM rims that I could find using manufcturers' sizing charts is 245/40 and 275/35 (that still maintain proper OD).

The advantage to 20s is appearance. The very large diameter wheel trend is a style thing and has nothing to do with functionality.

There is no performance advantage to anything larger than an 18" wheel as far as I have been able to determine and in fact there are a whole bunch of disadvantages. Generally, larger wheels allow use of a lower profile tire that has a stiffer sidewall and hence has better steering response. This advantage is counterbalanced by a rougher ride, more weight and higher risk of rim damage plus higher tire replacement cost as the size goes up.

The OEM wheels with 40F/35R series tires offer a stiff sidewall and afford some rim protection. Going with something larger means an even lower profile tire to maintain proper diameter. Larger wheels are heavier and put more weight farther from the centerline (due to higher weight of larger tires) meaning more unsprung weight overall and more inertia to overcome. Every pound of weight out on the wheels is roughly equivalent to 5 pounds on the chassis.

Adding larger wheels therefore slows steering response, degrades ride quality, and decreases performance. Most production based race cars use 17 or 18" wheels and it is no coincidence that the Maserati Tofeo and GT Course both also use 18's.
Thank you, I think I'll definitely stay with 19's.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts