Maserati Forum banner

FD Jeff...share with the group your opinions of the GS vs the GT...

9K views 22 replies 16 participants last post by  Colossus 
#1 · (Edited)
He has a few interesting observations having worked/ modded both. Jeff...do share!

#2 ·
That is a tough request Steve. Jeff provides a service to both 4200 owners as well as Quattraporte and soon GT Owners. Each buyer has their own reasons to buy a respective model and those reasons undoubtedly trump the competing cars virtues in the buyers' minds. I don't think we should put Jeff in a position where he may compromise himself by opining on the merits of one car versus another.

#3 ·
agree. ..

this is a tough one.
even at the dealership selling Maserati's, Ferrari's, Bentley's.
All that the sales person or the mechanics can say is what their personal favorite would be. They find it hard to comment on which model or make is less reliable. They do however comment on cost of ownership.

I brought my car in for a clear bra yesterday.
I saw a GranSport in for servicing.
What a beautiful car. Definitely different looking from the GT but still a very very nice looking car.

#4 ·
Two different cars. I agree with the comments. In Jeff's position, the cars can use different enhancements. Each car has its own strengths. For example, someone may like the body style of the GT while another may like the console of the GS. Since you can't change from a manual to an automatic clutch system or visa versa then one could say that no matter what is done with the GT they prefer the paddles of the GS. Variety is the spice of life and a tweek here and a tweek there personalizes our experience.

#7 ·
GT=gorgeous design, more cruiser oriented, heavier, bigger, no F1 trans except for S..the non-S cars have full autos with MB Style paddle shifters.

GS design is beautiful but, not as attractive as the GT (IMO) GS is faster, handles better and is overall more responsive...I was told.

Something I noticed. The GT has way more orange peel in the paint. I realize I may be the only person on the planet who notices these things. But the paint on the GSs is smooth...virtually no 'ripples'...or...'orange peel' in the paint. The GSs were all wet sanded and hand polished. I am guessing they were all hand painted as well. The GT appears to be more machine made.

#20 ·
Something I noticed. The GT has way more orange peel in the paint. I realize I may be the only person on the planet who notices these things.
You are not alone - I also noticed the "orange peel" effect in GT paintwork. I was at a car show last year and noticed it was the same on the latest BMWs - so is this part of a particular painting process or what?

It's not in the paint - it looks more like the panel surface is not totally smooth?

#9 ·
Same paint plant

:cool:I watched a TV program just a few months ago describing the life of the Ferrari automobile. The last part of the program dealt with modern day Ferrari and had quite a bit of footage at the Maranello plant. To my surprise and delight, a part of the tour showed the Ferrari paint booth. Hung high on adjoining walls were banners of Ferrari and Maserati, AND a Maserati Coupe was being pushed out of the paint booth! Unless Maserati has taken to painting their own vehicles in the past couple of years, I would say that Masers are still painted at the Ferrari manufacturing plant. Also, in the Engine build area of the plant, AGAIN hung wall banners of both Ferrari and Maserati, however, I could not tell from the engines in the work area which were which. Just FYI.

#15 ·
Carmine, I'd love to see that or try and find it, do you remember what show it was by chance?

:cool:I watched a TV program just a few months ago describing the life of the Ferrari automobile. The last part of the program dealt with modern day Ferrari and had quite a bit of footage at the Maranello plant. To my surprise and delight, a part of the tour showed the Ferrari paint booth. Hung high on adjoining walls were banners of Ferrari and Maserati, AND a Maserati Coupe was being pushed out of the paint booth! Unless Maserati has taken to painting their own vehicles in the past couple of years, I would say that Masers are still painted at the Ferrari manufacturing plant. Also, in the Engine build area of the plant, AGAIN hung wall banners of both Ferrari and Maserati, however, I could not tell from the engines in the work area which were which. Just FYI.

#23 ·
The GT S may be the best car, but they are changing the clutch next year.
What changes are they making to the clutch, all I was aware of was the addition of the auto gearbox later this year? Am about to pull the trigger on a GT-S and would be interested to know what was coming up if you had the inside line. Thanks.

#17 ·
My Buddy Lorenzo and his company were involved in automating the engine part of the factory. They have also done carbon fiber laminate automation and many others. They are even here in the states, like Hercules in Salt Lake, etc. It is amazing the amount of technology coming out of Italy at this point in time!

http://www.enginsoft.it/

#21 ·
its the paint process...totally normal. Basically the paint hits the car and sags of so slightly. On all mass produced cars this is totally normal.

The paint has to be wet sanded and polished to remove the orange peel.
All the GSs I have seen have been wet sanded from the factory on all of the main body panels....and the hood.
The trunk and OE 'body kit' all have orange peel. Tells me the cars are painted in parts them assembled.

#22 ·
I'd like to preface the following statment by saying that I am a performance enthusiast as well as someone who appreciates the beauty, elegance and practicality of the Trident brand.... but mostly I'm a performance enthusiast so my comments reflect that.

I'll chime in here and say that I've had a fair bit of experience in both cars and have the following observations:

The GranTurismo is a beautiful car. The GranTurismo is a beautiful car. The GranTurismo is a beautiful car. It will not blow you away with it's performance if you're an enthusiast. However, it is a very practical car as well and the performance is not bad. Honestly the current GT with a DuoSelect Trans would be a big improvement. Add a 4.7L and exhaust and you've got the GT-S which is a big step up. However, you'll pay quite a bit for the privilege at the moment.

We've developed some strong mods for the GranTurismo such as a High Power ECM, Drive By Wire Enhancement, Sport Springs, Steel Braided Brake Lines, Perforamance Pads, Sport Cats, Rear Mufflers, X-Pipe and soon we'll have wheel spacers.

Like all modern Maserati Models, I strongly believe that a Drive By Wire Enhancement Module, Sport Handling Package and Mufflers make a world of difference to the car. It's truly a transformation. The Wheel Spacer kit should really help the looks of the GT as the wheels are tucked in so far.

The GranSport is a much better investment due to the current market conditions and the great balance that the car has. The GS is certainly quicker that a standard GT, there is no comparison. Just like the above stated about the GT, adding a Drive By Wire Enhancement Module, Sport Handling Package and Mufflers make a world of difference and really take this car to the next level.

If you're looking for a beautiful luxury car that is Sporty... the GT may be the right choice.

If you're looking for a very affordable performance exotic... the GS is probably your best bet.

If you have $$$ coming out your ears... get the GT-S.

Either way, give us a call and we'll get the car performing for you.

Best Regards,
-- Jeff

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.