Maserati Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I am picking up an 05 QP this week. I have read some things about clutch life being extended and driving experience being enhanced with the FD Drive By Wire Upgrade.

Can anyone tell me the benefits of this enhancement? How about any downsides?

Also, is there a shop in Vegas that can turn this around on short notice. Going to pick up the car on Friday and leave on Sat but would consider getting this in if possible.

Thx

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
The DBW installation results in more aggressive clutch engagement - especially from a standing start. Maserati programs the clutch from the factory for smooth engagement (think 'feathering' of the clutch plates) which they believe the North American market prefers (I don't think so). The end result is poor clutch life, slower shifts, and reduced zero to 60 times. There are many testimonials from members on this board that have installed the unit on their QPs, 4200s, and GranSports. Do some searching around to see what they all have to say. I recently did the upgrade myself and really enjoy the more aggressive engagement. Can't think of a downside - especially if you're outside of factory warranty.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Must have it. Period.

·
Registered
240 Posts
The DBW installation results in more aggressive clutch engagement - especially from a standing start. Maserati programs the clutch from the factory for smooth engagement (think 'feathering' of the clutch plates) which they believe the North American market prefers (I don't think so). The end result is poor clutch life, slower shifts, and reduced zero to 60 times. There are many testimonials from members on this board that have installed the unit on their QPs, 4200s, and GranSports. Do some searching around to see what they all have to say. I recently did the upgrade myself and really enjoy the more aggressive engagement. Can't think of a downside - especially if you're outside of factory warranty.
good post.

Thank you

·
Registered
134 Posts

My car is still under warranty so I carefully took tape off harness to get to the 5 wires you need to access and then found some black gauze type tape in sports section of WalMart that was almost perfect match to factory tape. After install, everything looked untouched and wire harness is kick panel behind factory harnesses. Only way to find harness is to take everything apart and look way back into kick panel with flash light. Also, another way to explain how DBW works is that it makes accelerator more linear in response. In other words, the factory setup has a feeling of two speeds, either you press the pedal halfway down or less to take off slowly to somewhat slowly, or you press more than halfway for a fast full throttle takeoff. With DBW module, the takeoff with even the pedal pressed 1/4 way is fast to engage clutch but is still a regular takeoff, 1/2 pedal is a quicker half throttle takeoff and so on. In factory setup, I was either feathering accelerator for a slow clutch wearing takeoff, or I was taking off too fast for normal driving. DBW gives much more natural feel to accelerator with improvement in reaction time. This is my personal opinion of how to describe improvement from DBW. In a nutshell, factory pedal response has a kind of lag (like turbo lag when starting to pass someone) and very unatural feel compared to a normal car that has a physically connected pedal. It doesn't respond very linear, such as 10% push down on accel = 10% throttle, 40% push down = 40% throttle, etc. More like 10% to 40% push down = 20%-25% throttle and 50% to 100% push down = 100% throttle. IMO

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
BigA - I like the linear analogy. That pretty much sums up the 'feel' as delivered from factory.

·
Registered
250 Posts
BigA - is your car a QP? I'm very keen to see where the install goes, as I may add the DBW pre-warranty expiration, in the same way as you. If it is, do you have pics?

·
Registered
255 Posts
Does anyone know if the learning behaviour of the system is affected by the DBW add-on? The system adjusts gradually for the "weight" of throttle in the driver's style - is this still the case with the DBW or does it, as suggested above, fix the response of the throttle pedal so it always reacts in the same way?

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Damn - that's a helluva a good question. :cool:

·
Registered
134 Posts
My car is a 2006 QP with warranty until May 2010. It is currently getting Denso plugs and steel braided brake lines from FD. When I get it back, I'll take some pics for you.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Does anyone know if the learning behaviour of the system is affected by the DBW add-on? The system adjusts gradually for the "weight" of throttle in the driver's style - is this still the case with the DBW or does it, as suggested above, fix the response of the throttle pedal so it always reacts in the same way?
The DBW totally eliminates the "learning behavior", the system is always in "agressive" mode.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts