Maserati Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2002 Spyder Cambiocorsa (F1)

I got that a faulty brake switch will cause a car to go into neutral on take off. My question is can a faulty brake switch cause the car to fall into neutral while accelerating up through the gears? I have a problem where the car will occasionally fall into neutral while going up through the gears. It happend to today while I was shifting from 3rd to 4th. When I hit the paddle again after it fell into neutral it went into 5th.

Also, when I am slowing down the car will down shift and fall into neutral. No pattern of what gear it is in when this happens.

Took it to FM and they want to charge me 6300 for a new clutch. I am not convinced the clutch is bad as it only has 16K miles on it.

Could be a total coincedence but right around the time this started happening I heard a popping sound coming from the driver door when it opened all the way. Maybe a broken door sensor?

Any help would be much appreciated. Also, does anyone know a good independent mechanic in the south texas region.

John

·
Registered
94 Posts
Sounds like either the clutch is worn, but more possibly the clutch position sensor.
As for the door noise, probably the door check on one of the hinges.

·
Registered
581 Posts
16,000 miles is in the range when the clutch may need to be replaced. My mechanic tells me he has seen anywhere between low teens to low 20's depending on driving style. However, $6,300 for a new clutch is highway robbery - if that is all they are replacing. I think the retail cost for a clutch is somewhere around $1,200 so that would mean $5,000 in labor! Sorry I can't help with mechanic in your area but sure sounds like you need an alternative - actually you could probably ship the car to my mechanic in FL and back for less.:)

·
Registered
1,405 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
jmoore, I just went through a clutch replacement and, based on my discussions with a couple local FM dealer mechanics, your symptoms do sound like a worn clutch. Did your dealer give you a clutch wear figure? They should be able to run the diagnostic for the percentage; I understand anything under 30% makes for an unhappy car. I was also told that sometimes a worn clutch will cause the transmission to slip into neutral. In my case, it got stuck in a gear instead and the CC light came on intermittently.

I also agree with what others said about the mileage. If you go through the clutch threads here, it seems that most go out between 10K and 25K miles. Driving a CC in Auto mode and reversing uphill are death to the clutch.

As far as the cost, that does seem high, but you should find out whether, in addition to the clutch, you'd be getting a new F1 sensor (a good idea) and flywheel (worth it if yours is worn). I think I paid about $1,800 in labor. Unfortunately, you pretty much have to go to a dealer for clutch work because a Maserati computer is required.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts