Maserati Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Maserati Coupe CC
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sky Car Motor vehicle Automotive mirror Automotive tire

Not the way that one wants to meet a wall.

"Siluro", my 2004 Nero on Nero Coupe has served me well for the past 3 years, but last week, lost traction on a track with an uneven surface, and oversteered into the concrete barrier. The image above is a moment before impact. No injuries! And the drivers behind me stayed clear, thankfully.

Tied up in insurance appraisal at the moment, and not sure if I'll get her back to rebuild, or if they'll total it out. If they do total it, I'll let everyone know, as there are a lot of great parts on that car that should find a home with a real Maserati 4200 enthusiast.

I'll post an "after" pic in the comments. Front end crushed up to the engine block, all airbags deployed, and, curiously, the glovebox came off of its mounting. That's all that happened - a very robust car!

Pondering what to do if they do total it - we'll see. Considering another Coupe or GranSport, but also considering something that will handle the rougher tracks that I get to out here, something with AWD, or a smaller/lighter car. No... not a Miata! The supportive camaraderie of Maserati owners here and on SportsMaserati is actually a factor that has me leaning toward getting another one. It's a good family.

If you have any questions, crash stories of your own, or simply want to chastise me for breaking my baby, comment below.

·
Registered
2004 Maserati Coupe CC
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

——-\|/——-
2004 Maserati Coupe “Siluro” the Italian Torpedo
1979 MB 450SL “Greta”
2016 BMW x435i “Der Sonnenmaschine”
2022 Ford Mach-e “Macchiato”

·
Registered
107 Posts
You were able to get out there and use the car, though. Glad you're OK!
Any issues to yourself from the airbags? Did you have the standard 3-point seatbelt?
It may not apply as much to modern cars, but in vintage racing, accidents like this, if repairable, just become part of the history of the car. This may be a good excuse to turn it into a track-only car and really go after some track-mods.

Reactions: Oishi

·
Registered
2004 Maserati Coupe CC
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You were able to get out there and use the car, though. Glad you're OK!
Any issues to yourself from the airbags? Did you have the standard 3-point seatbelt?
It may not apply as much to modern cars, but in vintage racing, accidents like this, if repairable, just become part of the history of the car. This may be a good excuse to turn it into a track-only car and really go after some track-mods.
Three point seat belt only, but the seats were Recaros that held me firmly in all directions. No issues at all with the airbags other than a few scratches on my left arm, likely from the leather flap being blown open.
I like the way you think in terms of track car mods! A bit hesitant to dive in that fully due to lack of time available to do more than minor tinkering, and I’m successful, but not “guy in the finance sector” successful. So my sights have to be kept appropriately modest. Like picking up a well sorted GranSport, perhaps? Just missed yours, apparently!

No regrets at all for having driven her hard for three full years, it’s what the car is built for.

I’m already on to shopping, as I don’t wager it’s repairable with funds available, and honestly, shopping really is half the fun!

——-\|/——-
1979 MB 450SL “Greta”

·
Registered
2004 Maserati Coupe CC
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sorry to hear Todd! Great run with it and well enjoyed.

Can you share a bit about insurance on the track - is it special coverage?
Absolutely! Track insurance is available through mostly specialty insurers. Hagerty and Lockton are the two I’ve used, but ask around your local groups.
Usually purchased just for the day, but if you go to the track a lot, some companies have a season coverage option.

Data: insurance for this track day was $177. Coverage of $30k minus 15 percent deductible. So far, I think it was worth it. We will see if it actually pays out.

——-\|/——-
1979 MB 450SL “Greta”

·
Registered
2004 Maserati Coupe CC
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Glad to hear you are okay, sorry about the car.

Even if its totaled hope you can find a way to enjoy on track again, but If you end up parting it out send me a PM
Heard back yesterday that is indeed considered a total loss. Waiting on the summary to see if it makes sense to buy it back and part out at least the good stuff.

Also yesterday, I found out a local BMW dealer had a car arrive, special order, and the customer didn’t want it. Well, I did. So, welcome aboard to Udo the 2022 m240i X Drive. Will have to break him in, but will be my new track car in a month or so!

I do have the Formula Dynamics ECU and DBW modules scavenged from the Coupe, so those will be up for sale soon.

——-\|/——-
1979 MB 450SL “Greta”

·
Registered
711 Posts
Todd, I'm glad you're okay, and things are working out. Just my 2 cents but I would buy Siluro back and build her into the ultimate track 4200. With 3 years of track time behind you and your mechanical skills, Siluro II could be awesome.
So as not to hijack Todd's thread, @konamazmike , could you post details of your car on my 4200 Coupe and Spyder GT list post?
Thanks, Ed

·
Registered
2004 Maserati Coupe CC
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Congrats on the Bimmer, Todd...condolences on Siluro. Gotta think @Oishi is on to something...
@Oishi is definitely on to something, I'm just not well-funded enough to have my cake and eat it too, unfortunately. Perhaps in a few years, depending how business goes.

Siluro is off to the auction house - someone is going to have some really choice parts to pick off of it.

Also, I'll make a separate post - but I'd ordered a set of Larini headers from Formula Dynamics. Of course, they just came in. So if anyone was thinking about ordering a set, there is now no wait!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts