Maserati Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've located an '05, 22,300 miles, Nuvolari w/ Cuoio Sella interior, Navigation, Skyhook suspension, powered Hi-Fi upgrade with CD changer, heated front seats, leather headliner, piping, full Briarwood kit, Xenon headlights. Very well maintained, service history/records from Miller Motor Cars. The warranty runs through 3/31/09, two owners, sold by a high-end, very reputable, independent auto broker who seeks out the best cars for his customers. Asking price is $47,500which I believe is pretty fair. I'm attempting to get copies of the service/maintenance history, but I'm a little concerned about whether or not the clutch has been replaced, any pump issues, etc. Maserati of Washington will perform a very thorough PPI for $825 and could take 1-2 days. Seems a little high, but I guess they are a little more detailed in what they do and it is the east coast, afterall.

Any thoughts? If I agree on aprice, do I pony up the $$$ on the PPI and make the offer contingent on what I find? Lastly, does anyone know Bruce Hall of Applewood Motorcar in VA? He does quite a bit of transporting for this gentleman and seems to have a great reputation as well.

Thanks in advance

Mark in Chicago

·
Registered
478 Posts
I think this sounds fair, but perhaps you could tell Miller that you won't take the car without the PPI and you're at your limit on willingness at that price, esp as you pick up the cost of shipping. So, they can pick up the PPI or take $1K off the price. (Mileage may be a tad high for the price?) You've been on this board for a while so you know all the arguments like F1 pump and clutch etc, and there are a couple of horror stories that you don't want. On your side negotiating can also be that you might need to make upgrades to get the car up to snuff. With all that, if they can get the service records most of your questions will be answered. But in the end it sounds good.

Pictures?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think this sounds fair, but perhaps you could tell Miller that you won't take the car without the PPI and you're at your limit on willingness at that price, esp as you pick up the cost of shipping. So, they can pick up the PPI or take $1K off the price. (Mileage may be a tad high for the price?) You've been on this board for a while so you know all the arguments like F1 pump and clutch etc, and there are a couple of horror stories that you don't want. On your side negotiating can also be that you might need to make upgrades to get the car up to snuff. With all that, if they can get the service records most of your questions will be answered. But in the end it sounds good.

Pictures?
Thanks for the reply. While the service history is predominantly with Miller, the car is located 30 minutes from Mas. of Washington, so they would be the most logical dealer for inspection. I would "guess" that I could offer $45K and pick this up, but I do fear the "horror" stories that you mention. Plus, getting my wife to agree to another sports car has been challenging, to say the least. Wait until I rack up out of warranty/repair costs!

·
5,887 Posts
Wait until I rack up out of warranty/repair costs!
If you buy the right car and take care if it, out of warranty repair costs should be close to nill. The price at $47.5K sounds fair.

When the dealer faxes you the service records, you will be able to see if/when the F1 pump, F1 relay, and/or clutch has been changed. Since the car is under warranty, I would just be concerned with overall condition and wear items like brakes, tires, clutch, etc. A good PPI will include, among many other things, paint thickness testing and leakdown/compression tests.

I would suggest the following: get the service record, if you like what you see, make an offer contingent upon an acceptable report from the PPI. Offer to split the cost of the PPI with the dealer.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Follow up to '05 Coupe

Service/history looks clean, but, as I suspected, no replacement of clutch or pump. If it ain't broke, don't fix it, right? Well, I can try to pull the trigger on paying for a PPI, but I'm afraid that I'm not going to like what I hear regarding the remaining clutch life and/or pump. I know they are costly replacements and I don't know that the owner would consider coming off his number again due to useful life of these items. Do I spend the money, pass, etc? I know $45K will get the deal done, but beyond that, I don't think I have any leverage. Is there an "acceptable" clutch wear remaining % that I should be content with or not?

PLEASE chime in and thanks.

·
Registered
78 Posts
bottom line is that you should offer what you want to offer, based on what you have to spend to bring it to great shape. if it's meant to happen, it will. if not, there will be plenty others...best of luck. take emotions (this is very difficult by the way...) out of the equation.

·
Registered
340 Posts
As Travis pointed out, a PPI covers far more than the clutch. A new set of OEM rotors and pads can cost you just as much as a clutch replacement! A new set of tires can also be $2K.

A lot of cars tend to come on the market at about 20/40K miles which are the replacement intervals for many of these parts not to mention major service milestones.

$500 - $800 is cheap insurance and then you at least know what you are getting.

·
5,887 Posts
If the clutch really hasn't been changed after 22.5K miles, you should budget for a replacement in the near future. Some have reported a CC clutch lasting 30K miles while many others have reported replacement around 18K-24K miles.

The pump is an all or nothing type deal. The pump works or it doesn't.

IMHO, the real value of a PPI comes in the inspection of the engine (leakdown/compression), brakes, transmission, software updates, etc. You could always buy a paint thickness meter yourself but having a trained eye inspect the body can also be helpful.

The difference between two seemingly identical cars could be $7K or more in near future service costs between a clutch, brake job, full service. Even then, the "while we were in there" items can push the bill even higher.

If $45K is your comfort limit, perhaps a well sorted, documented, MY03 or MY04 would be a better route.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If the clutch really hasn't been changed after 22.5K miles, you should budget for a replacement in the near future. Some have reported a CC clutch lasting 30K miles while many others have reported replacement around 18K-24K miles.

The pump is an all or nothing type deal. The pump works or it doesn't.

IMHO, the real value of a PPI comes in the inspection of the engine (leakdown/compression), brakes, transmission, software updates, etc. You could always buy a paint thickness meter yourself but having a trained eye inspect the body can also be helpful.

The difference between two seemingly identical cars could be $7K or more in near future service costs between a clutch, brake job, full service. Even then, the "while we were in there" items can push the bill even higher.

If $45K is your comfort limit, perhaps a well sorted, documented, MY03 or MY04 would be a better route.

Thanks Travis. PM sent.

·
5,887 Posts
I, obviously, see tons of value in a good PPI. With that said, buying a 3 year old car that is still under warranty should be fairly safe. When things break on these cars, it gets expensive. But things can break on any car. IMHO, $45K for a clean MY05 is a great price.

Don't let anyone scare you out of buying a Maserati. If the car is the right color, options, year, and is in the right condition, buy it and start racking up the smiles.

·
5,887 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
I agree that it depends on the dealer. I have had to press for warranty work.

I have also found that even on wear items some dealers insist on extra work. I have come across a dealer who insisted on replacing rotors with every pad replacement and another who insisted on replacing the flywheel with every clutch replacement.

I think that even under warranty it is best to budget at least $3K a year for maintenance if you use the car as a semi-daily driver to make sure that expectations are reasonable.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.