Maserati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Headed to Rome then Modena later this month.... I know some Ferrari clubs have trips where you drive a Ferrari from Rome, north to Modena / Bologna area for factory tours..... (stopping along the way...)

Does anyone know of any similar tour with Maserati.....

At minimum I will just have a driver take my wife and I from Rome up to Modena for factory tour... (this should be set up with dealer I am told)

I am waiting on a GT from Maz. factory, but it is unlikely that I will coordinate trip with the actual delivery of MY car.... I don't see the point of this anyway as I can't drive it home.... ha....

Any input or insight would be appreciated.... Thanks !

·
Registered
793 Posts
I hope you know that Rome to Modena is a distance greater than LA to SF! That's a long car drive!

I do not believe they are as strict as is Ferrari but it never hurts to have an advance reservation.

Make sure you visit the factory showroom in the front. It is beautiful.

I was there last September the day they were have the grand public opening. They were setting up stagings, lights, large speakers, etc. for a televised event which we had to miss.

have a great time and make sure you drive around Modena. It's a great city and there is a main boulevard with car dealers that looks like LA!

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
Headed to Rome then Modena later this month.... I know some Ferrari clubs have trips where you drive a Ferrari from Rome, north to Modena / Bologna area for factory tours..... (stopping along the way...)

Does anyone know of any similar tour with Maserati.....

At minimum I will just have a driver take my wife and I from Rome up to Modena for factory tour... (this should be set up with dealer I am told)

I am waiting on a GT from Maz. factory, but it is unlikely that I will coordinate trip with the actual delivery of MY car.... I don't see the point of this anyway as I can't drive it home.... ha....

Any input or insight would be appreciated.... Thanks !
You absolutely MUST go to the Ferrari museum in Maranello while you're there.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Rome to Modena......

I think I calculated distance from Rome to Modena at 250 miles... since that is a 4 or 5 hour drive.. is it preferred to fly...... has anyone done this?

thanks again...

·
Registered
517 Posts
I think I calculated distance from Rome to Modena at 250 miles... since that is a 4 or 5 hour drive.. is it preferred to fly...... has anyone done this?

thanks again...
The first thing to remember is you won't be driving at 65 MPH, so it shouldn't take that long. 2nd most people don't fly, they take the train.

·
Registered
442 Posts
and bring a GPS with you (with italy maps of course!), because if you drive, you cannot trust road signs.. if there's any.

Jess

·
Registered
793 Posts
Diesel fuel in September was $9.30/gallon! Take the train.

It may be 250+/- miles as the crow flies, but it will take a while to drive.

Do take the train but bring your lunch and dinner cause it's not unusual to have 3-4 hour layovers in various cities!

·
Registered
34 Posts
The Modena assembly-plant tour is terrific. My wife and I happened by last October just as the North American Maserati dealers' reps were walking in. Very cool showroom with a bunch of cars, including an MC12.

The CEO gave a very nice welcoming speech. He made it clear that they recognize the importance of the U.S. market (45% this year) and said they'd do whatever was necessary to take care of it. Another exec explained the tour and started sending groups out, so I went over, said I had no connection at all to Maserati but was a prospective buyer and could we please go on a tour. The guy just looked at me for a solid 45 seconds, then smiled and said OK.

The tour was spectacular. The whole assembly line was GranTurismo's. Factory was spotlessly clean. Very nice tour guide (Alessandra, I think) who knew the company history and manufacturing process very well. We saw GTs in all stages of assembly (from 8-10 feet away), plus some motors on stands (I saw crimps in two headers that concerned me). It gave us a great visual sense of the GT. I fell in love with it.

The staff - all of them - couldn't have been nicer or more helpful. If they didn't know the answer to a question, they went off and found out.

What made it all the more impressive was the rotten time we'd had at the Ferrari complex the day before. The store was grossly overpriced. The museum was staffed with cute girls whose attitudes ranged from dismissive to insulting.

Everyone seemed very displeased to have visitors. I got a curled-lip response when I asked whether we could take a factory tour. Even the plant workers we passed on the sidewalk were surly. One of the FM dealer reps told me the next day that their treatment hadn't been much better.

The musuem was mostly devoted to Formula One race cars and rows of F1 motors I could barely tell apart. Only a few street vehicles in the main part of the museum. They had some nice ones in an adjacent building, but they were reluctant to let visitors in, and by the time I found it I was pretty turned off to their whole scene.

I don't expect anyone to take this advice (I wouldn't have), but I recommend either skipping Maranello entirely or driving through town to see the cars all around and just getting out to stretch your legs.

Jack Davis

·
Registered
793 Posts
---I got a curled-lip response when I asked whether we could take a factory tour. Even the plant workers we passed on the sidewalk were surly. One of the FM dealer reps told me the next day that their treatment hadn't been much better.
This is very true. I was there in September and was told prior to leaving for Italy that facoty tours required at least a 1 month reservation prior to arriving. I had called the week before. Was due to the Ferrari-McLaren fiasco. Ferrari wants to now know who is in their facility.

I went to the front gate and was told I had to own a Ferrari, have the VIN with my ID, and have a dealer invitation. I had the 1st two but no dealer invitation letter!

They would not let me in, and there were only 9 people on the tour that AM! It's a bit ridiculous!

I did not have time for the Maserati tour though the day I was there.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts