Maserati Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Factory new car break-in recommendations?

Hi,

I'm anticipating buying a new Gransport Spyder later this summer from a dealer about 300 miles away. I'll drive it home.

Can anyone tell me the factory recommended new-car break-in regimen? Something like under 4000 rpm for the first 1000 miles, with no long-distance constant-speed driving? Or just let 'er rip?

I'm hoping my drive home can be an easy 4-hour blast instead of an 8-hour engine break-in session on back roads.

Thanks for any info,

Deane

·
Registered
187 Posts
I don't pretend to be an engine gooro, but my advice is to ship it. Maybe rent a uhaul trailer for the day. I don't know the recommended breakin period, I do assume all engines are hot run in the factory as all automakers do now, minimalizing break in and promoting good seating of the rings, but I do know that it is way better to keep varied speed with any motor and not get it too hot when fresh for long periods.

I have had a few custom motors built for me in the past. My builder always told me to run it for 30 minutes and let it cool for 8 hours. Do this 4 times and everything is on its way to reliability as long as you don't lug the gears at low rpm or take the gears to high in the rpm range.

good luck

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rob,

Thanks for the advice. I built one engine as a teenager - the machine shop advised me to run it up and down several times to seat the rings, then drive it in varied conditions.

I don't know if Maserati runs their engines in on a dyno before they go in a car - that's usually a pretty stressful test!

Deane

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
Maserati most DEFINITELY runs their engines hard prior to shipment. I was in the factory a few weeks ago, and the engines are extensively tested through their full RPM cycle. Once assembled, the entire vehicle is taken on a 100km drive through all kinds of conditions - around town, superstrada, autostrada...

I asked if I could pay to have the "test driver" job, but an all-knowing smile was the only response...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts