Maserati Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that 90% of everyone on here has Larini, and a few more have Tubi, but does anyone have Fabspeed?

Well I do, and the construction, finish and quality is AMAZING (the best i have ever seen for mufflers), but the sound is not as exciting as I anticipated. Deeper for sure, but too muffled and not impressive to say the least. The rest of the exhaust system is the stock, so i am considering replacing the resonator section with a fabricated x-pipe. I am hoping this would open up the sound a bit, since again it just sounds too muffled and restricted for my taste and still be considered classy. (i was advised against doing that by someone in this forum who said it wont help except make it crude)

Can someone tell me if it's normal to hear the engine noise over the exhaust coming from the tail? I am disappointed to say the least.

After about 3K the exhaust sound almost completely dies down as opposed to getting louder and more dramatic.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, but Im thinking that maybe mufflers alone don't make that big of a difference (read the other posts), since their job is to muffle the sound.

Maybe a resonator delete will do the trick. Any solid advice or experience?

Plus it would be a shame to get rid of them 2 weeks after installing.

·
Super Moderator
4,261 Posts
Well, the Larinis and Tubis' backboxes definitely make a bigger sound.

In any event, I think the guys on the UK forum may know a bit more about Fabspeed.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Fabspeed has video on youtube of the sound combinations (res delete, res and muffler, res muffler cat delete) just search fabspeed maserati.

I looked at the fabspeed when I bought my back boxes and did not really like the sound, ended up running a quicksilver sport back box. I have res and cat delete pipes sitting in my garage to install this winter.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I have found you are right...

the largest increase in sound will be had removing the center resonator. mufflers whether they be Tubi, Larini, Fabspeed, Borla all have similar constructions and are mufflers, muffle sound, except have a less restrictive flow pattern than stock.

I say keep the Fabspeed and play around with straight pipes in lieu of the center resonator, or, Xpipe, etc.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
You should definitely get an x-pipe, and if after that you're still not pleased then go for a Tubi or Larini, but you'll always keep the x-pipe. Don't go with straight pipe, the x is there for a reason...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay, i think im going to go with an Xpipe, but can i have them made out of mandrel-bend pipe by a local shop or is it best to buy them for 3 times the cost. Any suggestions...and is it worth the cost difference (aluminum vs steel)?

Thanks!

·
Registered
744 Posts
Okay, i think im going to go with an Xpipe, but can i have them made out of mandrel-bend pipe by a local shop or is it best to buy them for 3 times the cost. Any suggestions...and is it worth the cost difference (aluminum vs steel)?

Thanks!
The Larini is a very high quality piece with very smooth bends and welds. I have one with only 8 hours on it that I am going to sell. If interested - send me a PM

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Aluminum mandrel pipe??

Does anyone know of a Shop that can make an Xpipe for me? I got a quote for $400 from a guy in Santa Monica, but its made of Aluminum.

I assume it would be best to replace the entire pipe as opposed to chopping off and replacing the resonator.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Well, the Larinis and Tubis' backboxes definitely make a bigger sound.

In any event, I think the guys on the UK forum may know a bit more about Fabspeed.
not true at all, side by side the Fabspeed makes a deeper sound at WOT, the Tubi is a little more high pitched but loses the hard hitting punch. The Larini I head in person was a little "ricey" but louder than Tubi.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Fabspeed has video on youtube of the sound combinations (res delete, res and muffler, res muffler cat delete) just search fabspeed maserati.

I looked at the fabspeed when I bought my back boxes and did not really like the sound, ended up running a quicksilver sport back box. I have res and cat delete pipes sitting in my garage to install this winter.
it was my car used for the development and my car in the pics. The online videos (http://www.fabspeed.com/maserati.html) don't do it justice and isn't a real representation of the sound. There is a huge difference in power and sound and how fast and hard hitting that comes on. You need to hear it in person to really appreciate it. For me, the Cat bypass pipe was a bigger single gain than the X-pipe. Tried it with full open pipes in the back and it was too rough of a sound, the Fabspeed mufflers took the edge off of the harshness and gave a sound closer to a Ferrari Challenge Stradale than anything else.

·
Super Moderator
4,261 Posts
not true at all, side by side the Fabspeed makes a deeper sound at WOT, the Tubi is a little more high pitched but loses the hard hitting punch. The Larini I head in person was a little "ricey" but louder than Tubi.
I don't have any axe to grind but based on the videos off the link posted, the backbox sounds a bit farty (particularly at low RPMs).

Yet, at higher RPMs, I have to say the sound turns around quite nicely.

Don't know, hard to tell from internet videos.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I don't have any axe to grind but based on the videos off the link posted, the backbox sounds a bit farty (particularly at low RPMs).

Yet, at higher RPMs, I have to say the sound turns around quite nicely.

Don't know, hard to tell from internet videos.
yea, the video isn't capturing the low end bass, and IMHO the best part of their system. You just can't go by the video, it's something you need to hear in person. It's not just loud, it's aggressive and powerful sounding.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I'm considering to change the current exhaust set up of my Granturismo and am trying to find out more about the "Maserati Gran Turismo 200 cell Catalytic Converters with
Resonator Bypass Pipes" by Fabspeed (http://www.fabspeed.com/maserati.html) and the alternative by Larini. My main concern in this upgrade is to have a bassier and deeper exhaust growl. As I do not have any experience in Fabspeed systems, hope to hear from you guys about your opinions

Also, as this Fabspeed system still utilises the stock rear mufflers. What do you think if they were changed to Tubi mufflers with the Fabspeed bypass pipes?

Manage to find a link of the Granturismo with Fabspeed system
http://vimeo.com/1321401

Cheers

·
Vendor
4,728 Posts
We do have an amazing system for the GranTurismo, both the X-Pipe conversion as well as the mufflers. Shoot me a PM or email if you'd like more information.

Best Regards,
-- Jeff

1 - 16 of 16 Posts