Maserati Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my Coupe for a a couple of months now and I just finished fabricating 'straight' pipes to replace the stock rear silencers. Couldn't find the right size pipe locally, so I had to do it the hard way. Used Schd. 40 2" pipe and elbows, and machined down the outside of the pipes to save weight. The slip-ons that clamp onto the stock exhaust pipes are machined out of a scrap solid steel shafting bar.

The pipes are completely bolt-on, so I can go back to the stock silencers in a snap if I want to.

Put it all together today to test - sounds awesome ! At light throttle it sounds almost stock, and at w.o.t. it gets nice and high pitched above 5000, and not too loud at all. And, the pipes are about a quarter of the weight of the stock silencers.

It took quite a while to get the bends and hanger links right, but it was worth the time.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Hey Salty..

Well done! Any chance of any pics/sound files? Post em on youtube if you like. How are things in Dubai ? I was thinking of visiting soon. Are there many speed bumps on the roads i'e. How supercar friendly is it or is this a silly question? i know lot of the Dubai boys visit London in their flash cars in August so is it quite simple for taking cars to Dubai?
TIA

·
Registered
38 Posts
Would definitely be interested to hear some sound clips as well. Have you removed the X-pipe too? How do you think this compares sound-wise to some of the systems out there like tubi and larini?

Definitely post some pics! i'm debating doing something similar to this as well, but can't decide whether to remove the back boxes or the x-pipe.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks 007. This is my first attempt at attaching pics, hope it works. Dubai is a nice place, and I guess fine for supercars. The key routes do have traffic jams, so you can't use one to commute (not a Coupe CC at least !), but there are lots of well paved highways around Dubai, many of which do not have speed cameras.

Rocketmaker, I was wondering the same thing too, and the way I figure is - if you want an American V8 / SL55 kind of drone/throb, then drop the X-pipe. If you prefer a whine / wail kind of noise, drop the back boxes.

Will try an upload a sound clip on Youtube tomorrow.

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts