Maserati Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the pros and cons with the f1 trans vs. the standard 6 speed?
Do the standard 6's have less clutch issues or similar? :cool:

·
Registered
284 Posts
Which do you prefer, blondes or brunettes? Really a matter of personal choice. I love my F1, as do most on this board, but you may have more maintenance with the F1 than you would with the standard 6 speed.

You really need to drive them both, and this way you decide which one YOU like best.

Eric

·
Registered
695 Posts
Which is better? Much like "endless summer" it is an "endless debate" but not as much fun. So it boils down to personal preference.

If you have never driven stick, then a 6-speed manual behind a fantastic engine would be a great way to learn. Something you would always remember. (My stick training was from farm machinery and old trucks).

But, if - like me, you have some 40 years experience of driving manuals on various sorts of vehicles including motorcycles, then you may find new joy in learning new skills and techniques. (I never left braked in my life until using the CambioCorsa).

·
5,887 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Which is better?

There is no right answer to this question. You MUST drive both to decide for yourself.

I drove the CC first and I really enjoyed it. You could not wipe the smile from my face. But I kept thinking that something was missing. So I drove the GT and "Bingo" that did it for me.

I have no traffic in my area. Come to think of it, I don't even have traffic lights where I live, so getting tired of the 3 pedals was not a problem.

If I lived in SoCal, I would have gotten the CC.

There is something like only 5% or so that are GTs. Once I decided that I wanted a GT it took almost a year for me to find the color I wanted with low miles and all the records.

If you want to find a car quickly, than the CC is by far easier to find. There are a lot more options as far as color and miles.

Also, if a CC is the choice, try to find an '04 or better. With the GT, you can go with an '02 or '03 which can save some real $$$. Of course the cost of ownership is cheaper with the GT.

Just my opinion, as you can see by my ride.

Dan

·
Registered
76 Posts
It all depends on where you're going

I learned to drive on a stick (my Dad's 1967 Mustang). My first car was a used 1969 4-speed Mustang (302 V8). My next car (and first new car) was a 1978 Honda Civic (5-speed stick) - I believe I'm the only guy in the world who's Honda was a piece of crap (died when raining, etc...). My next car was a 1980 4-speed Mustang (200 straight 6). Late college / grad school / first years on a job... Worked like a champ.

Traded the Mustang in on my first automatic (a Taurus) in 1988. My job (and my wife's) changed, and based on commutes, she got the Taurus and I got her 1984 Nissan Sentra (5 speed stick). I was driving this car around the Beltway from Virginia into Maryland every day, and still blame the constant clutching for giving me plantar facia (sp?) - a real painful foot condition that swore me off stick-shifts for my daily drive.

When I found out about the F1 transmission, I fell in love with the concept (downshifting instead of braking, actually controlling the car, etc...) and bought my '05 CC in large part because I like to actually drive a car, but the reality of my daily commute (regular stop-and-go traffic) makes clutching a "pain in the foot".

In my world (daily driving in Washington DC) the CC is worth the extra maintenance expense, the 1st gear lag, etc... If you live in an area with wide open roads, the stick-shift is definitely the preferred play.

·
Registered
520 Posts
What are the pros and cons with the f1 trans vs. the standard 6 speed?
Do the standard 6's have less clutch issues or similar? :cool:
The difference is one uses the driver's skill for shifting, the other uses the computer's. Do you prefer Fangio or Schumacher?

Guess which one I prefer!

·
Registered
2006 Gransport LE
651 Posts
I love manuals and now love the F1 - having one of each would be having your cake and eating it as well. HOWEVER, I am getting frustrated/pissed and very annoyed with the CC. My '02 has a new - fully upgraded clutch, brand new F1 pump and relay and proper fluid level. I am now getting stuck again for no apparent reason. The CC light will usually go off in a minute -an eternity at a light with cars beeping you ! - and then I'm on my way again. BUT for this, I am enjoying the F1 but am contemplating selling and finding a GT - simply won't have that issue and since the engine seems to be basically issue free - it sounds like the better way to go, IMO.

Separate post coming for some help with diagnostics.

·
Registered
744 Posts
I like the GT

I have a black on beige 04 Spyder vintage with the burlwood package. The car is very old school appearing and the 6 speed manual is the perfect match - performance wise and stylistically.

It has a long throw shifter by modern standards and is pretty notchy - you cannot rush the shifts or force them (my italian mechanic says "you must treat this car just like you are making love to a beautiful woman - you take your time". The clutch, on the other hand, is very silky with progressive enagagement.

When I am blasting up a winding mountain road, working the gears, listening to the engine and feeling the heartbeat of the car through my right hand on the stick (like I was this a.m. on a deserted road 7000 feet up in the Western Rockies), I feel all is right with the world.

I have never tried the CC but I think that I would find it out of character with my car - just my personal view.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I have stated many times over the last two years about my 2003 coupe GT.
I bought it used with 14,000 miles and eight month on the warranty.
I now have 26,000 miles on the car and the original clutch. I have been out of warranty for over a year now. I just had the car in for an oil change. When it was on the lift I asked if we could check the clutch. The mechanic showed me an inspection hole in the bell houseing and said he thought I would make it to 30,000 miles on this clutch.

That being said I only own stick shift cars, I do like technology and use it every day. But for me on the street I will take a stick every time. For the track that is a different matter, The CC would be the way to go.
RON:)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts