Maserati Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 11,500 miles on my 2004 coupe and it is going to the dealer for an oil change, coolant change and fluid check up before being put away for the winter. I have no current problems with the F1 pump and the car has had no service needs since I purchased it new in 2004. My question is whether I should change the relay or not? I am a moderate to aggressive driver and still run with the original Goodyear tires. I did replace the air filter and have installed the Larini X-Pipe and exhaust set up. I do plan on installing the springs next week and eventually the ECU and DBW system. The car will be lowered 1.25". In addition, do you have any other suggestions that I should give to the dealer next week? I am trying to put together a thoughtful service list.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Someone(Kent?) mentioned about changing the "pollen" filter once a year. I don't think mine was changed in the last service. So ask your dealer to do it too because I don't think they're doing routinely.

If you know for sure you're going to have the DBW + ECM installed soon, it might be a good idea to order just the harness from Jeff and have your dealer install it, so when you buy the units it will be just a matter of plugging them in. That's if you don't want to do it yourself.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great idea about the harness. I'll call Jeff. I'll check the pollen filter item with the dealer and let you know what he says. Keep the information coming.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I recently checked............

with my local FM dealership (FM of Orange County, CA). Service Writer Mitch said that Maserati neither recommmends nor discourages customers from routine changing of the F-1 relay. Mitch said that typically the dealership only replaces the F-1 relay when it is "bad". He said, however, that if anyone wants to change the part for, in their mind "preventive maintenance", the part is $90.00 and the labor is $60.00. Since I have not had any problem with my 2003 Coupe CC with 11,500 miles, I fear that something might "go wrong" if I change out a perfectly good part. For that reason, I have not changed out my relay, but I constantly think about doing so. ??

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Carmine - I feel the same way and don't want to look for trouble if nothing is wrong now. On the other hand, I can't stop thinking about it. I just wanted to make sure that my humble opinion is shared by others.

·
Super Moderator
4,261 Posts
I read somewhere else on ML that changing the F1 fluid at 8-10k miles is a good way to help avoid F1 pump failures.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Right - the F1 fluid is now on the list. I'll report back next Thursday and let everyone know what the dealer thought was reasonable.

·
Registered
325 Posts
F1 Fluid

Did Mention That To Algar On My 06 Qp With 8k But They Did Not Recommend It, But I Did Have The Differential And Gearbox Oil Changed For 250 Dollars Which Is Now An Option At Service Intervals

06 Qp Sport
06 Gs Spyder

·
Registered
742 Posts
Do the gear box fluid every 4,000 - 6,000 miles or yearly.

There has been a huge debate on changing the relay. I bought a relay and I use it as a paper weight...

Keep in mind, "if its not broke, don't fix it"...

That being said, the best way to keep your F1 box in top condition is to change the fluid as often as your oil... I am very surprised it is not suggested at each service interval in the manual.

My mechanic changes it ever 6,000 miles or yearly, whenever he does my oil. I use Amsoil Severe Gear. He could not believe just how dirty it was the first time he changed it.

CM

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
These are the prices from the dealer in my area. He did not include the F1 flush price, but I don't think it is outrageous. He said that there is a drain in the F1 pump and they put the oil in at the top and wait until the oil coming out of the drain is new.

· Annual engine oil/filter service now with the Shell Helix(Q-power) 5w/40 full synthetic oil and vehicle safety inspection: $350.33
· Gearbox/Diff oil service:$310.00
· Brake fluid flush: $240.00
· Engine cooling system service: $235.00
· Interior pollen air filter: $229.00

·
Registered
90 Posts
Pollen filter...

...and the manual say that you need to renew the wiper arms when you have changed the pollen filter twice...
They need to come off and are made of a pretty soft metal...

:confused:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts