Maserati Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think Nomorejags thread on the F1 pump is simply great. I can't want to see the outcome.

It got me thinking I should replace the relay on my 04 CC.

I just got off the phone with Algar FMPA and ordered the relay. $78.50, then I spoke with a very friendly person in service.

To quote him. "replacing the relay fuse will not hurt anything, however under no circumstances will it extend the life of your pump". A new relay can go bad just like an old relay. What do you think of this?

He went on to say how he has only seen a handful of F1 pump failures on mostly older US models 02s.

Can those of you that had your F1 Pump go down please list your year and mileage?

Lets see what the community has experienced.

Thanks.

CM

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Yeah,

Im very good friends with one of the service managers at a dealership. He told me that normally, a burt pump causes the dead relay. not the other way around. But he said it wouldnt hurt to change it.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Most common reason for an F1 pump to get fried is a broken F1 relay.
It is highly reccomended to replace it every year regardless if it necessary or not!
it costs only a few bucks but a pump almost a fortune!

·
Registered
793 Posts
A very sharp mind on a Ferrari site stated that the pump runs constantly-when a door opens, car starts, etc. Common sense says the more an electrical item runs, the shorther the life.

He found out also that the early F1 systems (355 Ferrari) experience a relay failure that closes and keeps the pump running constantly. He said those early systems used a 30 amp relay and later ones a 50 amp but that the 50 amp was not a retrofit due to slightly different electrical connections.

He was working on both a method to Plug n Play a replacement relay and to have a supply of rebuilt F1 pumps on hand.

So, it's wise to check/replace the relays when rebuilding the pump.

It also makes sense to have a rebuild shop rebuild the pump so they can check everything.

Get a short in the pump that seals the relay and you'll end up with a fire!

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Relay replacement? Is it a small square plug

Gentlemen:

Can anyone walk me through step by step relay replacement?

I just got the small grey part from FM p # 155437

Its made by tyco and looks like a 12 volt plug? Is this the correct part?

Do I have to disconnect anything? Any tips or tricks?

Thanks. CM

·
Registered
174 Posts
Maserati uses Ferrari's systems.

So, there has to be a similarity.

It's easy enough to find out by looking into a shop manual.

Here's the link to which I have referred: http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=114883
Read the thread. I noticed a couple differences in our system but he was on te right path IMO. He said the 360 motor was built by Hitachi. I know ours it stamped with Denso and when I went back to the shop today he said his supplier called back from the west coast and it is listed as dealer only andn he couldn't get another motor.

However he did say pretty much we could rebuild everything on the motor for pennies except the armature and that could easily be rewound at a shop for $100 or so.

Its such a simple set up tho. If it wasn't so tight up where the pump is mounted I'd say you could strap any motor heavy duty motor to it and keep on going. But its a pretty snug fit up there. Wayyyy to tight to bolt a starter up there,lol.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Gentlemen:

Can anyone walk me through step by step relay replacement?

I just got the small grey part from FM p # 155437

Its made by tyco and looks like a 12 volt plug? Is this the correct part?

Do I have to disconnect anything? Any tips or tricks?

Thanks. CM
1.Open trunk

2.Look to right and see batter and battery but off switch

3.Above Battery cut off switch you will see 1 relay and two fuses bolted to wall. One green(30a) and one yellow (20a)

4.Pull out relay and replace with new one.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.