Maserati Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everybody,

So I parked my 2003 Coupe yesterday and when I returned, the car wouldn't start. All of the electronics come on when I turn the key, but nothing from the engine. I got out of the car, locked it and unlocked it and I don't hear anything coming from the f1 pump. At this point, I'm assuming it's either the pump or the pump relay, but I know there is a host of other problems that I could be encountering. Any advice?

Thanks.

·
Registered
22 Posts
i would check the fuse.. its a big 30 amp fuse above your battery... its the only fuse block with 2 large fuses and a Relay.. PM me if you need help.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Its your F1 dont bother messing with it because it might crank up but I wouldnt leave it at that it will mess you up on the road...If you are in So Cal PM me I will send you to my guy I got my F1 rebuilt and warranty for 12 months for 700.00

·
Registered
255 Posts
All of the electronics come on when I turn the key, but nothing from the engine.
I assume you have tried the usual "off/on" at battery stuff to reset electronics?

Similar thing happened to me once in my 2002 CC. I left it for few minutes and then it came back to life. I cannot confirm the lack of noise from the F1 pump though - which is especially concerning in your case.

I have a theory (?) that as my foot was touching the accelerator I somehow ended up in security-code entry mode (you can disable the immobiliser by tapping a security code on the pedals if your key fob battery fails!) After waiting for a short while the system "recovered". Only happened on one occasion - but very worrying when the ignition appears dead. Keep my feet clear of the throttle when starting now!

·
Registered
228 Posts
Could be the battery??

"85":

I had the EXACT same problem with my 2003 Coupe CC a few months ago. I had the car checked by my FM Independent Technician (Eddie Rodriguez -- 562-650-1732 -- located in Los Angeles County). After a diagnostic check , he determined that the battery had just died due to old age (it was the original battery - car had 11,500 miles).

My STRONG suggestion to you is to give Eddie a call. He can walk you thru some simple diagnostic checks and mayber diagnose over the telephone. THESE CARS ARE TRICKY, AND BECAUSE THEY ARE HAND MADE ONE BY ONE, THEY CAN BE QUITE QUIRKY. DON'T ACCIDENTALLY BREAK SOMETHING TRYING TO "FIX" IT YOURSELF. Eddie is top notch and won't try to sell you what you don't need.

Good luck.

·
Registered
22 Posts
if all the lights turn on and it will not crank then i think it would be more then just a battery.. if it cranked slow, then i would be more towards a battery issue.. try this.. if you open the drivers door and you dont hear the pump run or if you have the key in the on position and you can't select first gear.. or hear a pump run.. then i would suggest a pump,relay,and fuse... this is just comming from My experience with F-1 systems in general and diagnosing Magneti Marelli issues

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hey Everybody,

So I parked my 2003 Coupe yesterday and when I returned, the car wouldn't start. All of the electronics come on when I turn the key, but nothing from the engine. I got out of the car, locked it and unlocked it and I don't hear anything coming from the f1 pump. At this point, I'm assuming it's either the pump or the pump relay, but I know there is a host of other problems that I could be encountering. Any advice?

Thanks.
I had a similar problem in my '04 coupe a year or two ago. As I was waiting the obligatory 75 minutes for Maserati Roadside (in Dallas even), I stated examining the fuses. I found the starter fuse was blown. I replaced it with the airbag or some other immediately essential fuse and it started right up.

I had same problem - lights on but no cranking.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Hey Everybody,

Thanks.
Hey broh... did you solve this issue???

My car gave me the exact same problem this morning, I called my mechanic and we have ID'ed the problem to be the F1 pump. Although the indicator shows the car to be in N it is locked up in gear so we put power directly to the pump and it did not work... I've read somewhere of others having the pump rebuilt, do you or anybody here knows what they do when they rebuild the pump??

Your help will be much appreciated...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Paco,

I just talked to Eddie last night and after checking all the relays, fuses and the battery, he told me that it is the f1 pump that is out.

The price range for a new pump is anywhere between $700 (rebuilt) to $1200 + labor. I'm looking into getting a new one or a rebuilt one right now. I'll let you know if I figure anything out.

Hope this helps...

·
Registered
333 Posts
I also called Eddie yesterday and he was very helpful in making a correct diagnosis.
I wish I had someone like him around here but since I don't I had to try and solve the problem on my own so last night I rolled under the car and dismounted the pump... it was burnt without a doubt so I took it to the shop earlier today and it is being worked on as I type this message. They said they would have it ready this afternoon so by tonight all this will be history... I hope.

I must admit though... couldn't have done it without the lead given by drewcwsj to the thread below

http://www.maseratilife.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3145

...and the detailed information posted in it by nomorejags

In your case, since it is an electrical motor what we are talking about I'd advice you to go with the rebuilt, it will perform the same and save you a few bucks.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Maser 85 and PacoSaca:

What are your respective mileage? I am sure the board would like to know for data points. I believe nomorejags was around 75K miles.

Thanks

·
Registered
333 Posts
Brian, I have a little over 14k and changed clutch at 11k... I think a bit premature compared to others this is due to a lot of stop and go driving.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
...and there's no forewarning....it just dies suddenly?

·
Registered
333 Posts
...nothing Vince, just dies.

I parked my car the night before and on the next day it did not start... all lights on the dash board went on and off as they nnormally do when you turn the key to start but then the gear box icon came back and stayed blinking.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have around 45k on my coupe.

I had noticed that a couple of times there seemed to be a little lag in acceleration (especially in 1st gear, but also after shifting through gears), but I assumed that this was the clutch beginning to wear. I'll let you guys know if I still notice it after the replacement.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.