Maserati Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to need a clutch change on my 4200 cambiocorsa in the next few weeks. The car is a late 2002 model with 31000 miles on the clock, so I think it has lasted well. Given the mileage of the car , should I have the F1 pump changed at the same time? Will this save me money and inconvenience in the long run?

·
Registered
255 Posts
My 02 cc had a failure of it's F1 pump at 24K miles. I gather it depends on the way the car is driven (in traffic = lots of changes = early death?).
Hard to say exactly how long you an get out of them - but if there is a substantial saving of labour then it may be worth replacing now - to avoid the nuisance of being stranded!

·
Registered
246 Posts
I would certainly have them look at it. They have to drop the tranny to do both jobs - clutch and F1. My F1 pump went out at 30k and I had the clutch replaced at the same time, which saved some money.
One consideration - the F1 pump would be covered by warranty if it fails. Not sure where you stand on your remaining warranty. I think the F1 pump replacement is a ~$3500 job, and the clutch replacement a ~$2500 job, at least as quoted by my dealer - Ferrari/Maserati of San Francisco.
Mike

·
Registered
742 Posts
Does the F1 Pump always go??

Gentlemen:

Anyone have 20,000 ++ - 50,000 miles on their Maserati without a F1 Pump failure?

Whats the highest mileage 02 - 06 Maseratis out there? Any other major concerns past 30,000 miles other than clutch and F1 Pump?

The F1 Pump replacement seems to range in price ($1,500 - $3,500). Has any owner actually paid out of pocket for an F1 Pump installation?

I only have 10,600 miles on my Maserati after a year and I am still enjoying the hell out of it. She is a keeper.

Thanks. CM

·
Registered
530 Posts
I'm sure I'm tempting fate posting this, but I'm at 48k and counting on a 2002 spyder. Just replaced the clutch at about 45k and so far the pump seems good. knock knock.

·
Registered
513 Posts
As Mike A Said, if the f1 pump fails, it is a warranty item. Why pay for it out of pocket now? The question should really be, "do I want to replace my clutch when my F1 pump fails?".

·
Registered
16 Posts
F1 pumps on the 4200 seem to be pretty unreliable. The 04 with 18,000 miles on the clock I am buying had it replaced on warranty after about 10,000 miles.

I have spoken to a few people who own a 4200 and have had one fail, I think there was a recall at some point where they replaced faulty units under warranty but not sure in what year.

·
Registered
530 Posts
53k currently. replaced clutch @ 45k still on original pump *knock knock*

·
Registered
16 Posts
I just picked up mine today. Its a 4200 cc 04 reg (March) with 18,000 miles one the clock. Colour is Rosso Mondial (red) with nero (black) interior.

http://www.maseratiforum.co.uk/upfiles.aspx/142/E5E8FF551F9944868FDC249DABC9DCCB.jpg

I had it checked over by a Maranello trained mechanic before buying it.

He reckoned the clutch had around 60% wear. As for miles expected out of it 2000 - 3000 low end, 10,000 miles top end.

Tips I have been given for extending clutch life : Dont let the engine downchange on its own to 1st gear, put the car in neutral when you are stopped in a jam or at lights, if you can coast to a stop in neutral rather changing down to lower gears (1st and 2nd) this is where much of the wear occurs. All this applies to the cc.....

I know a couple of people who have got over 30,000 miles from their clutch....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts