Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, On Monday the 11th January I checked my car into Ferrari of Washington for a Transmission oil change and a power drivers seat problem. I managed to get 1.5 miles before the CC light came on and when I pulled over and shut the car down it would not restart. The bottom line is that the dealership claims the F1 pump failed and that it was just a coincedence and in no way connected to the fact that they were working on the transmission and the electrical system all day. I am out of warranty by 2 months and this is now the 2nd time that the pump has failed, replaced 10K miles and 13 months ago. The dealership gave me a price of $3800 and woud not even consider a discount or even asking Maserati for some help. I just ordered a used F1 pump ($740.00) with a full 1 year warranty parts and labor from a car that had only 8500 miles.

I have decided to replace the pump myself.......I need help!!!

Can anyone give me any help or suggestions as to how to do this?

If there is a tech in the VA/MD area that can do it for a fair price I will consider.

I placed a call to Maserati USA on Tuesday morning and then again today (Friday) they have not called back.

Is this normal that a CC can go through two F1 Pumps in 10K miles?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
GrndLkNatv, Thanks so much for sending the pics/links, I will be sure to take some pics and post the results of my effort to repair. I can't see how it will be that hard to do this job, the worst case is I go back to the dealer and have them complete if I can't do it. My main worry is that the dealer misdiagnosed the problem and that I will end up with a bigger issue, they did charged me the big bucks for the diagnoses so they better have got it right. I noticed that the prices being quoted for this repair are in the $2100 to $2500 range but Ferrari Of Washington quoted me $3800, I wonder what they do thats worth so much more than the other Maser dealers.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Got to be a better way

Hello all, On Monday the 11th January I checked my car into Ferrari of Washington for a Transmission oil change and a power drivers seat problem. I managed to get 1.5 miles before the CC light came on and when I pulled over and shut the car down it would not restart. The bottom line is that the dealership claims the F1 pump failed and that it was just a coincedence and in no way connected to the fact that they were working on the transmission and the electrical system all day. I am out of warranty by 2 months and this is now the 2nd time that the pump has failed, replaced 10K miles and 13 months ago. The dealership gave me a price of $3800 and woud not even consider a discount or even asking Maserati for some help. I just ordered a used F1 pump ($740.00) with a full 1 year warranty parts and labor from a car that had only 8500 miles.

I have decided to replace the pump myself.......I need help!!!

Can anyone give me any help or suggestions as to how to do this?

If there is a tech in the VA/MD area that can do it for a fair price I will consider.

I placed a call to Maserati USA on Tuesday morning and then again today (Friday) they have not called back.

Is this normal that a CC can go through two F1 Pumps in 10K miles?
ScottishLad, I've had my 2004 Spyder CC for only 6 months but with 17K on the odometer, I figure I will probably need a new clutch and F1 pump in the coming year. I have only been to FofW for one oil change but also had them do a few other things that I thought should have been covered by warranty and instead was charged for them. In an area like Washington DC, I got to believe there is a good independent in our area that can take care of us - for less money. Anyone know of one? Everytime I drive by FofW and see the new showroom they are building (and realize the economy sucks and their showromm is as packed with cars as I have ever see it so don't imagine they are selling many cars these days), I think that in someway, they are going to make sure I pay for their expansion!!

Cheers and Save Ferris,
Ollie

·
Registered
174 Posts
If you have any other questions about doing the swap just drop me a line.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The Pump is working?????? How is this possible?

Hello all, I went to the dealership and picked up the car with a uhaul, I thought that I would have to push the car on the trailer, but tried to start anyway, it starts right up, goes into 1st gear and I proceed to drive on the trailer. I am driving home, it takes about 45 minutes all the time wondering how a failed F1 pump can now work. I get home and it wont start and I cant drive off the trailer. I roll it back and park it overnight. Today I went out to put a battery charger on the car and shut of the battery switch, the alarm goes off, I switch on the battery switch in order to remote the alarm off and I hear the pump going, so next I jump in the car, turn the key and it starts right up, I then drive the car around my street just fine and put it in the garage. What is going on??

I called the Ferrari of Washington and they said that the pump must have freed up and that it is just a matter of time till it goes out for good. They state that the diagnosis is 100% accurate and that it needs replaced.

Anyone else had this happen?

·
Registered
357 Posts
I'll add that Willie strikes me as a guy who knows what he's doing. You obviously do have a problem. In the days of my youth, I had a car with a bad starter. I could whack the starter with a hammer and it would work awhile, sporadically. Next time it failed, I whacked it again.... usually happening at the worst time like on a date or raining. This went on for months. Finally, I cleaned the armature and replaced the brushes, etc. No more problems. Electric motors don't always just fail outright.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
That's what is happening...

Pump grounds out, sits for a while, you move the car, the wire shakes loose, then you run it, it shorts again, etc.. Get the pump out, either fix it yourself or send it in to a hydraulic pump repair place, then put the pump back in and enjoy the car.. BTW, eurospares sells used and new pumps at good prices...

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
What about changing the fluids, etc.? I thought there was some thing the sd3 had to do in terms of swapping hydraulic fluid, blah blah.

·
Registered
431 Posts
If eurospares sells used pumps then that must surely mean that they must obtain old pumps from dealers and refurbish them. So if they can fix them then it must mean that we should be able to. Yeah-obvious reasoning!

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Swapping Fluid...

I am pretty sure nomorejags just pulled out the AGIP CHF (Central Hydraulic Fluid) and then put it back in via a piece of hose and his mouth... I would go down to Checker Auto and get the siphon pump for about 4 bucks instead but you have to do what you have to do when you are there getting it done.

Now FoD told me that they wouldn't sell me AGIP CHF as it took special machinery to put it in and you had to have a special machine to test it to make sure it was working, all complete B.S. but I did find out that your local Volvo dealer will sell you the AGIP CHF as their cars use it as well...

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
F1 Pump Replaced and Working Perfect....

Hello all, I have just today completed the removal and replacement of the F1 Hydraulic Pump, I have taken lots of pics and have tried to prepare a precise step by step instruction for anyone else that wishes to do this and save some big bucks.
I tried to upload my files but could not due to the size, I guess the PICS are too big. I also tore apart the old pump and discovered why it has failed, I also have lots of PICS of the inside of the pump motor. I have included one that clearly shows the wear on some internal parts, I suspect that the pump side bushing failed due to poor quality.
The used pump that I received from "specialized italian Recycling" was in excellent condition and was in fact slightly differenmt than the one removed, I hope the replacement is a later version and of better quality (I did get the optional 1 year parts and labor warranty, total cost $742.50). Now that I have completed the procedure of replacing the pump I can say that I could now do the whole thing in about one and half hours start to finish, a whole lot less than the 10 hours your local Maser dealer will hit you up for. If anyone needs to do this for themselves I will be happy to talk to you on the phone and explain all. The photos may give you the idea the pump is large, it is only about 6 inches long, very small indeed.

Attachments

·
Registered
660 Posts
What about changing the fluids, etc.? I thought there was some thing the sd3 had to do in terms of swapping hydraulic fluid, blah blah.
Ali

The SD1/SD2/SD3 are just an electronic test-bench that talks to the ECU/TCU and other sensors in the car... nothing to do with fuild replacements.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts