Maserati Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello All, I could tell you all a few stories about F1 pump troubles. I have personally changed one in my old 2004 Coupe 3 times. On the 3rd change I decided to investigate the relay and found it to be fried on the inside, which was causing the pump to remain on continually instead of cycling on and off as it should, hence changing the pump 3 times in quick succession.

Anyway, here's my thoughts/ideas....

1 Tap into the F1 pump circuit with a wire that can be led to the dashboard area and install a small LED that would light up every time the F1 pump comes on. This way if the pump remains on longer than normal (you would quickly figure out the normal pattern of it going on and off) you will get an indication that there is a problem brewing and could change your relay.

2 On the same wire you could install an ammeter and place that in the battery compartment area, you could then take a peek at the current that is being drawn when the pump is on, if you notice an increase in amps then you would also be given a heads up as to possible failure in the works (this should be very easy to do).

3 This is more elaborate and costly but very doable.....If someone a whole lot more technical than me could come up with a valve system that would allow you to install a 2nd F1 pump in the trunk or anywhere you choose that could be activated in the event of a failure in the primary pump. This 2nd pump could be of a smaller capacity but would at least allow for continued gear changes for a short time till you get to a dealer or home.

4 MOST IMPORTANT OF ALL....CHANGE YOUR RELAY AT LEAST ONCE A YEAR.

5 Always carry an extra 30 AMP F1 Pump fuse. (can be purchased from any auto parts store, about $3)

6 It may be a smart idea to install a 20 or 25 amp fuse instead that way the fuse will blow way before a pump failure if its drawing too many amps.

Comments on my ideas much appreciated...

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Martin - great ideas. Where is the F1 pump relay located? I could do a search but I'm feeling lazy today and thought it would good to include that info in this thread....

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Relay Position

The relay is a gray colored TYCO relay next to the F1 pump fuse (30AMP) and CC Trans ECU (20 amp) above the battery. Its hard to see, get a flashlight and take a peek. Its hard to get the relay and fuse out but a little persistence will get it done.

I always carry an extra 30 AMP fuse in my masers. I should have mentioned that.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Scotty...

Where do you get your 30amp fuses? Are they a special type?

·
Registered
695 Posts
Mr. Thomas,

Curious, did you blow the fuse during your F1 pump adventures? Just wondering why I would carry an extra one as it appears that the relay and pump are there to protect the fuse anyway. (Old electrician joke).

While changing the relay once a year is an inexpensive piece of mind, it definitely pays to remember to change the relay if the pump fails per your experience. Thanks for sharing.

It appears Ferrari did a mid-generation F360 upgrade to a 50amp F1 pump relay. Unfortunately, the relay is not a plug and play to an older 30 amp system. But it might be possible to rewire the correct socket/receptacle to upgrade to the new Relay. (if the relay and wiring is similar to the F360. Odds are it is.)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The fuse always blows....at least for me

Hello, Yes the fuse blew every time the CC light came on inside the vehicle. On one occasion I changed the fuse and the pump started working again for enough time to drive home. I removed the old F1 pumps and opened them up for a peek inside and observed lots of internal damage and wear and tear. See my old posts on this subject.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Who do you listen to?.............

:confused:The idea of changing the F-1 Relay once a year on the theory of preventive maintenance has been discussed many times in this Forum.

One time, I spoke with Mitch, a Service Writer at FM of Orange County (CA), about the annual change and he said that Maserati does not recommend doing same. He said, absent a request from a customer, that his Technicians only change the Relay when they install a new F-1 Pump.

Now, my Independent FM Technician (Eddie Rodriguez) who is FM Factory trained and Certified, suggests replacing the Relay every year. Personally, I go with Eddie's advice. But, as anything else dealing with our Maseratis, it's the Owners' call to act or not act on maintenance matters.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Food For Thought

I agree that it has been discussed many times. I also agree that Maserati does not specifically recommend it as preventative maintenance.

Why would you change the relay at all when replacing a burned out F1 pump/motor, why not just change the defective pump. The reason is that the relay is also burned out and the question then is which went 1st the relay or the pump motor. I feel that I can answer that question in my case as I personall observed that my F1 pump/motor continued to run after I shut off the engine and was parking the car. I immediately opened the trunk and switched off the battery to prevent a burnout of the motor due to continous running which the motor is not designed for. When I switched on the battery the motor once again started to run for more than the usual 5 seconds. I once again switched it of and then removed the relay, banged it on the sidewalk and replaced it back in the car, now when I switched the battery back on the pump did the normal 5 seconds of priming and stopped. When I got home I opened the relay and discovered that one of the two contacts was burned and had obviously stuck in the on position. If this situation had occured when I was driving it would have resulted in a burned out motor and no one could tell which went 1st, the pump/motor or the relay. For only about $80 and 2 minutes to change I feel its the best $80 you could put into your Maser, after all the cost of a pump failure is in the $000's. Why change the oil filter every 6 months? Same reason to prevent a very expensive failure.

:confused:The idea of changing the F-1 Relay once a year on the theory of preventive maintenance has been discussed many times in this Forum.

One time, I spoke with Mitch, a Service Writer at FM of Orange County (CA), about the annual change and he said that Maserati does not recommend doing same. He said, absent a request from a customer, that his Technicians only change the Relay when they install a new F-1 Pump.

Now, my Independent FM Technician (Eddie Rodriguez) who is FM Factory trained and Certified, suggests replacing the Relay every year. Personally, I go with Eddie's advice. But, as anything else dealing with our Maseratis, it's the Owners' call to act or not act on maintenance matters.

·
Registered
431 Posts
F1 relay pump and fuses

It would be great if anyone could please post pics of the relay and the 30A fuse.

Is the fuse a standard size blade fuse or a micro blade fuse as in the seat fuse ora totally different kettle of fish?

A bonus would be the F1 pump removal procedure with pics ofcourse.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Part number??

Hello guys,

Could someonne please post the part number for the f1 pump relay. I tried finding it but ni success.

Thanxs

Marios

1 - 10 of 10 Posts