Maserati Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Use the search function and look for "clutch" or "F1 pump" and you'll find a lot of discussion. 20k seems about average for clutch life. I've seen some as low as 12k and I got 45k out of mine YMMV.

·
Registered
530 Posts
The "clutch wear" readings are reallly suspect IMHO. First off they're +/- 10% so a reading of 70% might be as high as 80% or as low as 60%. That accounts for some strange tales of high wear.

Guy comes in to a Maserati Dealer says "what's my clutch wear?" Test reads 8% high. A week later he goes to another dealer. Test reads 9% low and suddenly 17% of his clutch has "worn" in just one week.

The best test still seems to be the Mark 1 right foot calibrator - give er the boot and see if there's slippage on the shift.

They also can read the numbers wrong. FMSV reversed them the first time they told me. Said I had 60% left when it really meant 60% worn, but then they're idiots.

·
Registered
530 Posts
mille162 said:
21,000 miles. Everything working fine, no signs of hesitation or wear. Drop car from 5th to 4th to pass a car. No power, engine revs, HUGE cloud of smoke behind me, stinks like burnt clutch. Drift over to side of road, car stalls going into gear out of neutral. Suggested I let it cool down, couple of hours later same thing. Dealer gets the car towed in, PIS system out of parameters (checked out 1,000 miles before and fine), clutch at 52% wear.

<snip>

Bought this from a dealer in San Antonio, but in Philadelphia now. San Antonio dealer says they'd replace under warranty no problem, Philly says no.
Given the description of the problem @ 21k I'd be pretty firm in letting the Philly dealer (Alger?) know I expect the repairs to be done under warranty.

Get the "we'd do it under warranty" in writing from the San Antonio guys. Show it to the Service Manager in Philly and escalate to Maserati North America if need be. Also let Philly and MNA know there are a thousand or so readers here wondering how this will turn out.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts